Cricket!

nabeel

I don't like the current set up because it's open for manipulation. If you're a walker and you're in a particularly important match, edge behind but don't walk and the umpire doesn't spot it then you could get away with one because the umpire knows you're a walker.

I'd like for there to be a rule made where everybody is either one or the other. Have to be harsh punishments and changes though. If everybody's a walker and it turns out you haven't walked then your club loses points. If everybody's a non-walker (safest option in my book, what are umpires paid for????) then repeated appeals penalised and more use of the TV umpire.

Ridiculous proposition there.

If someone edges a ball and walks immediately, and the umpire doesn't realise its out, does it make him a walker?

I don't walk, being a bowler you know you get bad decisions with good ones. An umpire won't give you not out just because you walk.

I remember once being keeper for my Under 10's team. Batter hit it, they ran and the ball was thrown into me and I went for the run out. Unfortunately, the ball fell through my gloves before I knocked the bails off, but the umpire still gave it out. I didn't say a thing and the only two other people who knew were my Dad and my coach.

True story (H)

Another humourous under 10 cricketing story. I was fielding at mid-off, probably in line with the bowlers crease but about a good 5-10 metres off to the left. Batsman drives it to me and they decide to run. To prove my superior finesse and my distrust of the keeper's abilities, I field the ball then run off to the keepers end and take the bails off.

It was either that year or the next one I won Player's Player (H)

I was always a walker.

Which made me furious when someone edged one of my deliveries but didn't walk.

At club level of COURSE you should just be truthful. So what if you lose? You're PAYING to play and whether you win or lose your life isn't gonna change.

I would promote complete fair play at every level of cricket. It's a gentleman's sport afterall!

heh, that reminds me of a time in my final year, early on in the match the batsman swung, got what I thought was a nick and it went through to the keeper. We all appealed of course and the umpire gave him out, much to the batsman's disbelief. I thought he was just being a typical batsman trying to protest that he wasn't out when he actually was, but when we got into a circle the keeper and the slips came over laughing saying he missed by a good inch or two.

Good times (H)

I remember playing cricket for my high school team, we played a local school in what was a proper grudge match because one of our players had been expelled from theirs a year previous. I was out after only getting about 3, it was the only match I ever played in 5 years when the umpire was a blind female dwarf. In reality she was about as tall as the players and wore thick glasses but it just sounds better.

heh, that reminds me of a time in my final year, early on in the match the batsman swung, got what I thought was a nick and it went through to the keeper. We all appealed of course and the umpire gave him out, much to the batsman's disbelief. I thought he was just being a typical batsman trying to protest that he wasn't out when he actually was, but when we got into a circle the keeper and the slips came over laughing saying he missed by a good inch or two.

Good times (H)

Balancing out me walking when I know I'm out, if I'm given out when I know I'm not I ALSO get highly frustrated.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with those who think it should be personal choice. Yeah, in an ideal world it would be nice if everyone was so sporting as to leave if they knew they were out, but it isn't so... yeah....