The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

Friendly or not, that was HUGE ... and there were only a couple of guys missing from that Italian squad. Oh wait, there were a couple missing from our as well.

Fanfuckingtastic result.

That was more of an experimental side for Italy in places.

A tad harsh on them too losing that one, but a very good result for the US.

Have you not paid attention to the first 10 matches under our savior ?

Gianluigi Buffon; Christian Maggio [Daniele De Rossi 71], Andrea Barzagli, Angelo Ogbonna, Domenico Criscito [Giorgio Chiellini 45]; Nocerino [Riccardo Montolivo 45], Andrea Pirlo, Claudio Marchisio [ignazio Abate 72]; Thiago Motta [Giampaolo Pazzini 59]; Sebastian Giovinco, Alessandro Matri [Fabio Borini 59] Subs not used: Federico Balzaretti, Salvatore Sirigu, Morgan De Sanctis, Davide Astori, Emiliano Viviano

Tim Howard; Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Carlos Bocanegra, Fabiam Johnson [Jonathan Spector 73], Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Danny Williams, Clint Dempsey [Edson Buddle 90], Brek Shea [sacha Kljestan 73], Jozy Altidore [Terrence Boyd 79] Subs not used: Nick Rimando, Jeff Cameron, Michael Parkhurst

There's every bit the dab of experimentation in the US squad.

I didn't mean it was a more experimental side than the US one for the record, just worded it wrong. Italy are still experimenting in positions and trying to find the right balance, certainly so in the middle of the park. The Euro team certainly wont be looking like that.

We could win the World Cup (haha) and some people would shrug it off saying "It was an off year". We beat a country that has always had our number in a sport that our top athletes just don't play. It was a friendly, but it's still a great result for our boys. A great psychological boost, especially.

Yeah, it's pretty typical for the Brits and Euros to come in and make excuses whenever the US actually does something worthwhile. Sad, honestly.

Whilst I can see how you think this, and it does mean something, it is is fairly legitimate that friendlies mean fuck all. As does the Confederations Cup.

When the US does something worthwhile in a World Cup (and drawing with England doesn't count, because we are shocking for the most part), then people will start to care more.

I hope that was aimed at Monsieur Metalman, and not me.

I'm just being honest. Friendlies just aren't as big of a deal as they used to be, rarely see the best sides being played, and so can sometimes see some fairly random results. Good victory, but probably means very little in all reality.

Yeah, it was metalman and sort of DMN, not you.

Basically I think the match did mean something, but primarily it meant something to us/the progression of how the USMNT is starting to gel under Klinsmann and it's not something grandiose like "now the rest of the world will have to take us seriously!"

Yeah, it's pretty typical for the Brits and Euros to come in and make excuses whenever the US actually does something worthwhile. Sad, honestly.

Whilst I can see how you think this, and it does mean something, it is is fairly legitimate that friendlies mean fuck all. As does the Confederations Cup.

When the US does something worthwhile in a World Cup (and drawing with England doesn't count, because we are shocking for the most part), then people will start to care more.

I completely agree on this point, and there are a fair amount of guys here who do give the US credit when they deserve it. I'm not saying that this win means we're suddenly amazing, but it's a big win for the position the US is in right now, and a lot of good things can come out of a friendly. Yes, the Italians didn't have their best line-up, but neither did the US, and friendly or not, it's a good win, on the road, against a historical power. I totally agree that the US needs to do it in the World Cup, but before that happens, wins like this happen.

Yeah, it was metalman and sort of DMN, not you.

Basically I think the match did mean something, but primarily it meant something to us/the progression of how the USMNT is starting to gel under Klinsmann and it's not something grandiose like "now the rest of the world will have to take us seriously!"

You basically summed up how I feel about the win, I just get tired of seeing any shred of improvement by the US side being discredited for any number of reasons (read, excuses). It gets tiresome.

I think perhaps people should learn to have a sense of humour about this, because otherwise it completely defeats the purpose of having these sporting threads. I don't get all whiny when people say stuff about Scotland being shit - and that happens far more often than people making fun of the USA team; the Villa and Liverpool fans don't get all pissy when people make fun of their teams losing (again); and even the Man Utd fans put up with the relentless (and deserved) bullying they get. If you guys think you should be treated differently it smacks of nothing but typical US imperialism AND IT MAKES ME SICK. I don't even care if you have more nukes than us.

All a bit daft really, the USA are ranked fairly decently by FIFA, are getting better and better and have a fair few top players these days. They qualify for tournaments and do alright (certainly no worse than we do), but a friendly win over Italy B? Meh. They're better than crowing over that.

The derision that the US national team gets from British supporters is kind of sad. Over the past twenty years or so there have been several top class players in the Premier League who have been American like Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Brian McBride, Tim Howard, Kasey Keller, Brad Friedel. The latter being one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League, if not the world!

The idea that Americans know nothing of the sport is stupid. Soccer (also can we get over the stupid idea that 'it's not soccer - it's football' the name of the sport is Association Football, the word Soccer comes from the 'soc' in Association it's an acceptable variation of the name of the sport and I, growing up in Ireland, where we have our own type football grew up calling it that too) has been played in the US at an organized level as far as I know for about a century. It may not be the biggest sport in the country but it is played there and does have a following so it is only logical that the US fans of soccer would know something about the sport, some maybe as much if not more than some of the clods who contribute to sports discussions on 606 and TalkSport. So what if the terms 'shut out' and 'road victory' and 'good hustle' are used to talk about Soccer in the US? That is US sports vernacular, the same way 'clean sheet' and 'away win' are in UK vernacular.

Paul Dalglish made a point on Twitter last night about how, he, having played in both England and the US felt that the US players were often as underrated as English players are overrated. I think there is something to that. I like to see the US team do well, they've been a pretty good side for a while now and while the qualification groups and the Gold Cup might be a bit of an easy ride to winning things on the North American side, I like to see them do well.

• Like 3

REALLY ? You just illustrated exactly what we're talking about. The Confederations Cup may well not be at the top of the list of important FIFA tournaments, but it still is one. To say it means "fuck all" also illustrates exactly what we're talking about. To a Spain/Brazil/Germany/etc it might be "beneath" them but to the USMNT it sure as hell isn't. We can see things relatively, why can't the rest of the soccer world (as a whole) ? To the US, that Confed Cup was very important and certainly meant something.

However, the issue with this particular game is as follows:

1 - our first win over Italy, ever

2 - in a stadium that Italy hadn't lost in since 1924 regardless of type of match or team fielded

3 - despite whatever letter you want to designate to the team Italy fielded, it didn't take the US "A" squad to be competitive/get a win against a top nation

Our Captain said it best:

"We don't want to get carried away -- it's a friendly," U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra said. "But it definitely feels good and we'll be excited about this one, and hopefully it gives us more confidence going into the summer."

Bradley also mentioned the issue facing the USMNT:

"We fight for respect every time we step on the field," American midfielder Michael Bradley said, "so every little bit helps."

They're both spot on. Those of US that know soccer recognize it for what it is. Those of you that know soccer especially as it relates to the USMNT, should recognize that it's at least a rung or two up the ladder from "friendly, meh ... whatever"

I think perhaps people should learn to have a sense of humour about this, because otherwise it completely defeats the purpose of having these sporting threads. I don't get all whiny when people say stuff about Scotland being shit - and that happens far more often than people making fun of the USA team; the Villa and Liverpool fans don't get all pissy when people make fun of their teams losing (again); and even the Man Utd fans put up with the relentless (and deserved) bullying they get. If you guys think you should be treated differently it smacks of nothing but typical US imperialism AND IT MAKES ME SICK.

No, typing out that last sentence of bullshit in the fucking USMNT thread where we're supposed to/allowed to talk about this, like this is what defeats the purpose of having these threads.

"Hey guys, you need to have a sense of humor and check your shit ... we'll be here to remind you of that even in your own thread ...." GTFO

I read the England thread and pop in once in a blue while with a comment or question, and participate in the EPL thread .... you cannot possibly believe what you typed to be truth.