The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

Very very happy that Brad Evans had a great game considering how much shit he gets from fans on a regular basis.

Well, as a mid he's nothing spectacular. He has a great game and then is just there for several matches at a time ... but damn he freaking looked great at RB though.

Prelim squad for the Gold Cup:

Goalkeepers (4): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders (11): Corey Ashe (Houston Dynamo), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/Mexico), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander/Spain), Edgar Castillo (Tijuana/Mexico), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby/Denmark), Oguchi Onyewu (Málaga/Spain), Michael Orozco Fiscal (Puebla/Mexico), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg/Germany)

Midfielders (13): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Helsingborgs/Sweden), Joe Corona (Tijuana/Mexico), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg/Norway), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Josh Gatt (Molde/Norway), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers/England), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Brek Shea (Stoke City/England), Jose Torres (Tigres UANL/Mexico), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (7): Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna/Mexico), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich/Germany)

Love the GK list, exactly what it should be. Want to see Hall finally get some time. GOOOOOCH !!!! Interesting to see Beasley on the GC roster, and hopefully Boca can come back and be himself. The midfield is pretty much what I expected and I'm glad to see Feilhaber back in the mix as well as Gatt finally being called in. Stewie in the shirt again will be nice to see, and .... EJ is a mid now ? Bruin, JackMac, and Wood getting a shot, I love also.

JackMac is nowhere near USA-international quality. Does not put in the effort off the ball required. Lazy striker. I like him and hope he does well though, despite my criticism of him. I still believe that Sheannon Williams should be the first Union player to get a crack at the national team, always have liked him and his engine.

I wish him or Sean Franklin would get a real look at a tournament like this, when we'll be heavy favorites and have low expectations going into the Cup.

Edited by Szumi

Brad Evans!

Great night for US soccer. Mexico is losing some more ground, I'd say it's 50/50 they have to play New Zealand.

Also, GoGo are you going to the Panama match? I'm debating going to the US-Mexico match in DC on Sept. 10.

I am! I'll be standing with American Outlaws too. So as long as my vocal chords can repair themselves after tonight's fantastic Sounders match I'll be good.

So who comes in tonight for Jones and Zusi? I am REALLY hoping Klinnsman stays away from Brad Davis and Eddie Johnson. Johnson and Boyd both have not impressed me lately, and Davis is just too slow for the international game. I think Cameron is smart in the midfield to let Bradley go forward. The right wing is a tricky one. I am thinking of maybe Kjlestan. I know he plays in the middle now, but with how deep Panama will defend, an extra dab of creativity might help.

Eddie Johnson's going to start because it's in Seattle and the only obvious better options are either out due to accumulation or didn't get called in, unless Klinsmann seriously opts to put Fabian Johnson on the right and either DMB or Davis on the left. Kjlestan in the middle for Jones.

That was a fantastic performance and a great night of results.

Mexico held again only kicks them in the balls. We're two points up, two goals up, and have a game in hand....

Honduras next Tuesday and Boniek Garcia might be out (subbed of in 29th with muscle problems, that's from Diez in Hondruas)

So basically as long as we get three or four points in the next five games we're assured qualification. And one of those next five games is Jamaica at home. We are going to Brazil.

The chants at the end of the match were wonderful:

We are going to Braaazil .... we are going to Braaazil ... we are going, we are going, we are going to Braaaaziiiiiiilll !

Team played well after about 15 minutes in, and really it should have been 3-4 to nothing.  Clear handball not called, Dempsey heading like 8 shots right at the keeper, Eddie's one timer .... plenty of chances created.  

The table after six matches:

Team
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 6 4 1 1 7 3 +4 13
22px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png Costa Rica 6 3 2 1 7 3 +4 11
22px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico 6 1 5 0 3 2 +1 8
22px-Flag_of_Honduras.svg.png Honduras 6 2 1 3 6 7 −1 7
22px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama 6 1 3 2 5 7 −2 6
22px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png Jamaica 6 0 2 4 2 8 −6 2

What makes this awesome, is that Mexico still has to come here and go to Costa Rica ... and still play Honduras.  They could be in real trouble.