The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

I think Mexico will probably finish at least third unless Honduras really kicks it in gear in the fall. Can't really see Panama finishing higher than fourth, or finishing higher than Mexico.

They absolutely have to beat Honduras and Panama ... they aren't getting more than 4pts off of Costa Rica and us with them both being on the road. If they draw Honduras and Panama (which both have done in the first match) they'll be hurting ...

... of course, Panama is the only team that realistically can finish 4th that I think New Zealand can beat.

Confirmed for the 22-man Gold Cup roster thusfar are Landon Donovan, Jack McInerney, and Jose Torres. Full roster out on Thursday but there will probably some other names that get leaked before then.

I'm excited to get to see Landon Donovan suiting up for the US when I go down to the Portland game in a couple weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

US currently up 4-0 against Guatemala in a Gold Cup tuneup. I'm excited to see who can step up on this squad over the course of the competition. If tonight is any indication, Diskerud, Holden, and Donovan can pretty much cement spots in the fall WCQs.

We're winning 3-1 at the half, Wondo bagging all 3. The performance has been nothing special. I think Corona is overrated - bring on Holden baby! - and Torres has been quite wasteful. Surprised Wondo has bagged a first half hat trick, but good for him. He's been shit at the international level for so long, so it's nice to see him score... even if it is against such a shit team like Belize.

Holden scoring made this match completely worth staying up until 1am for. Great to see Holden back for the Stars and Stripes :)

Edited by Szumi

Belatedly, I was at this match. Cool that I got to be at Holden's first cap since returning from injury last month and his first goal.

I agree that Torres and Corona weren't great. Beckerman isn't really making me think he's even USA B-team good either. I won't mind if he starts vs. Cuba, but on this squad I think Diskerud/Holden is the way forward.

US 1-1 Cuba at the half, US is kind of stuck in first gear though.

That second half is what you call domination. It's a combination of Wondo and Donovation.

• Like 1

Klinnsman has dropped Gooch, Gomez, McInerney, and Ashe from the roster, while bringing in Gonzalez and Besler, as well as Eddie Johnson and Alan Gordon.

I'm indifferent, leaning towards unhappy with the changes. It has become obvious that Besler and Gonzalez is the number one pairing going forward, but Goodson and Orozco have looked good together the more they've played. Both were solid against Costa Rica, and I see Jurgen opting for Besler-Omar for the rest of the tournament. Eddie Johnson is someone I think is a good addition, but Alan Gordon offers nothing to the national side.

Despite the fact that I think he is overrated, I am somewhat sad that JackMac never got any playing time at all throughout this. I wanted to see how he would play in the national side, as I think he is someone that can, hopefully, eventually be a solid striker. Gooch and Gomez were always leaving anyways, so their loss means nothing, and Ashe, like McInerney, never played either.

... and Gonzalez has already come out and said he's skipping the Quarters to play for LA this weekend. Awesome.

Gordon ? Seriously, wtf ? JacMac should have gotten time on the pitch even if it was to say "see, you've got a long way to go kid." It was good seeing Gooch in the shirt again and I felt he was doing a pretty good job after having been away this long. It's best though for Besler/Gonzalez to get as many minutes as they can.

Eddie, I figured he was coming in for the knockout rounds.

5-1 USA with seven plus minutes to go!

And we might finish with six!

Edited by OctoberRavenO

The semifinal in Cowboys Stadium tomorrow is shaping up to be a disaster. Firstly, they're banning drums and banners for god knows what reason. Also, this is what the pitch looks like. Yikes.

EDIT: Oh my god. Players will be expected to take corner kicks here. Christ.