Olympic & Paralympic Games London 2012

Starvinho

Guest mr. potato head

Michael Landsberg logic: Because 1 incompetent referee decision affected 3 goals and a general disparity in talent, especially between Canada's defenders and USA's attackers in the air. Lets not even begin to mention the fact that with PKs, there is a clear difference in terms of goalkeeping, meaning Canada literally would have to not miss EVERY TIME until their GK made the save.

I'm not sure what you're saying but if not for that decision a 3-2 win in 90 minutes was still a possibility.

Landsberg is horrible, though. You can tell he hasn't had to actually *know* what he's talking about since OTR started 15 years ago.

So, I'm watching the post-game, soccer buffs...were the Canada women screwed on those calls that led to Team USA's 3rd goal?

Only call we got screwed on was our GK not kicking the ball inside the penalty area(when she did). It snowballed to the point where USA got the PK for the goal, but other than that, no other truly bad calls. Other 3 goals were legit, and its Canada's fault they didn't have the aerial talent to hold until PKs.

There were a lot of rough challenges, but thats expected for a rivalry game and its iffy to say either way if calling everything would've helped.

So, I'm watching the post-game, soccer buffs...were the Canada women screwed on those calls that led to Team USA's 3rd goal?

Only call we got screwed on was our GK not kicking the ball inside the penalty area(when she did). It snowballed to the point where USA got the PK for the goal, but other than that, no other truly bad calls. Other 3 goals were legit, and its Canada's fault they didn't have the aerial talent to hold until PKs.

There were a lot of rough challenges, but thats expected for a rivalry game and its iffy to say either way if calling everything would've helped.

blink.gif

• Like 1

LOL at Serena c-walking after winning. People are making too big a deal out of it.

I had no idea it even was a source of controversy until you made that post. Ridiculous.

LOL at Serena c-walking after winning. People are making too big a deal out of it.

I had no idea it even was a source of controversy until you made that post. Ridiculous.

It's a minor controversy. mike Wilbon mentioned it on PTI. considering where she's from, it's hardly a big deal, it's more of a LA cultural thing than a gang thing anymore.

What's c-walking?

Crip walking. The dance she did is usually associated with the LA gang and gangsta rap. It was a bigger deal in the 90s, not so much anymore.

Maybe she was just doing a dance to celebrate winning.

As much as women's football may be 'getting better', it still is poor that some of the worlds best players can 1. Let a corner kick go in at the near post without a touch and 2. Can concede a free kick for holding onto the ball too long.

That said, the penalty decision is very harsh. Poor Canada!

I've had a couple of beers and taken some time to think but the build-up to the third American goal still pisses me off. I counted Solo holding onto the ball longer after that call. Just complete horseshit.

Plus Alex Morgan is no longer hot because of that pic.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/08/05/sports/olympics/the-100-meter-dash-one-race-every-medalist-ever.html

Didn't see this posted and heard about it on the radio today. It's a pretty neat little piece on Bolt vs. the other 116 medalists over the years. Has a video that lays out how fast everyone else was in comparison and has a neat little chart showing how far behind Bolt the other medalists would be when Bolt finished yesterday.

• Like 2

I'm still trying to believe we won a gold in such a unlikely sport. And we beat Spain at basketball in the same day. Glorious, simply glorious.

Spain tanked to better their odds in the knock out stages ;)