NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

At this point the argument looks likelier to be whether we will have a 50 game season or a 0 game season. I don't see any way they get a full 82, and once they miss the first few games they will go back to the 1999 strategy. If the owners can't get a deal they want for at least 41 games, then we won't have any hoops until next October.

Yeah as I've told everyone I currently play basketball with... I've never thought a season would happen and with how far apart the deals are sposedly, I struggle to see either side coming to an agreeance with the other before this time next year :P One side has to givein during these talks and personally I hope it's the owners as I feel they are just been way to unreasonable with what they are asking, just my opinion...

It sucks cause I thought it was going to be an interesting season with coaching changes and some exciting rookies coming into the league...

How can you say the owners are being unreasonable? What is it..like 2/3s of the teams in the NBA are losing money because so much is going to payroll. You have no name players who ride the bench making upwards of 10 million a year to basically come off the bench for a few minutes each game. The player salary in the NBA is out of control and needs to be rolled back

How can you say the owners are being unreasonable? What is it..like 2/3s of the teams in the NBA are losing money because so much is going to payroll. You have no name players who ride the bench making upwards of 10 million a year to basically come off the bench for a few minutes each game. The player salary in the NBA is out of control and needs to be rolled back

Agree with you completely. If there was ever a lockout where you would side with the owners this is it. The salaries in the NBA have been spiraling way out of control.

The owners want the players to take an 80% pay cut... That to me is completely unreasonable, in what other job or profession in the world would anybody ever expect to or accept taking an 80% pay cut to... I do agree that the player salaries are out of control but they were the ones that gave permission to hand out the contracts in the first place... And then turn around and whinge about contracts and money...

As I said, it's my opinion on the matter... I don't expect people to agree with it... I just don't think there'll be NBA for a while...

The owners want the players to take an 80% pay cut... That to me is completely unreasonable, in what other job or profession in the world would anybody ever expect to or accept taking an 80% pay cut to... I do agree that the player salaries are out of control but they were the ones that gave permission to hand out the contracts in the first place... And then turn around and whinge about contracts and money...

As I said, it's my opinion on the matter... I don't expect people to agree with it... I just don't think there'll be NBA for a while...

Where the hell are you pulling this 80% number from? Isn't it like 8%?

I could have swore I read somewhere that it was 80%... Aw well, even so, nobody is forcing owners to sign players for the ridiculous amounts that they do...

Now that I look at another site NBA owners want to cut $800 million dollars in salaries and benefits and what not... That is still a rediculous amount to expect to cut out and to not want to budge on it is stupid... If teams are losing $300-350 million a season and so on, why would somebody go out and buy the Golden State Warriors franchise for $450 million? It doesn't make sense...

The NBA is the only league in the USA where a player who does not play is worth more than actual members of the team at times. An expiring contract is something that shouldn't facilitate trades to the extent that it is often the biggest chip involved. A bad contract is the fault of the owners, but a guy like Eddy Curry was only kept on the Knicks for the last 3 years so that he could be used as a trade chip. He was then bought out immediately by the team that he was traded to. What other league uses trades to acquire players they DON'T want?

Well, if they don't play this year, at least that means LeBron won't win a championship this year for sure.

I think the real way to look at this, is that LeBron won't choke this year. pervert.gif

Rookie of the year should be more exciting next year :shifty:

I think it's the NBA's fault for over expanding. If there were less teams there would be: more money for the teams they had (provided revenue generated by the NBA is split amongst the teams), there would be less shit players being paid lots of money, teams may be closer talent wise and attendance (or ticket prices) and television ratings may increase. It could also potentially offer more lucrative sponsorship deals which could off-set the money lost if contracts went down. Beyond which it may make negotiations easier as they could better develop the key requirements to become an owner to save us the current issue of cashed up owners doing it for a lark vs. the owners trying to run it like a business.

Of course it would fuck over any player low down in the rotation. But could lead to a better/more relevant/exciting NBDL or foreign league.