Sign in to follow this  
Hobo

Arrested Development Returning

10 minutes ago, The Gazz said:

He's by normal standards an awful person, it's just that compared to his even more awful family, he's looks normal.

It kind of feels like they're missing that point a little this series, too, or at least overstating it with the repetition of how Michael's defining trait is that he comes back.

The entire premise is that Michael being the "moral" member of the family is a fallacy; he's dishonest, self-serving, and manipulative, yet thinks that he has the moral high ground. He thinks he's normal, but he's just as emotionally stunted as the rest of them.

The one thing keeping Michael relatively grounded is George Michael. I don't see the pay-off, or the logical ending to Michael's story being that he leaves the family, so much as he becomes the family. Michael's destiny is to cave, and to basically either become George Sr., or take the fall for the rest of the family - it wouldn't surprise me to see the series end with Michael behind bars.

If there's an emotional crux to the story, it's George Michael. It's not Michael that's the character best placed to break away from the family and live a "normal" life, it's George Michael growing up and getting out. But then, in this series, it's pretty clear that George Michael is just growing into being his dad, and behaving in the exact same way. And what is a "happy ending" for George Michael's character anyway, considering a significant part of his motivation is to hook up with his cousin?

I watched the first 15 minutes of the new season and just realized the show was not for me anymore. I do not even know if I would describe the show as bad anymore (though I didn't laugh in the 15 minutes), but I would just say that I have no desire to continue to watch the characters anymore. And I think the writing and dialogue for the characters has gone downhill. I actually vastly preferred season 4 as it was a significant break away from the earlier seasons that it warranted a watch. This just seems like a poorly written A.D.

The fifth episode is the first one that's really worked for me in any significant way beyond occasional "oh, that's funny" chuckles (the Steve Holt stuff and George Michael's Authentic Mexican Excursion in particular). It feels like there's this big narrative emphasis is about the Bluths clinging onto their old identities, which I think makes sense that they'd try to revert to their pre-season 4 selves but it's not really satisfying to watch. And Arrested Development's dialogue structure is pretty singular in a way that's tough because after a certain point, you can more or less fill in the rejoinders in your head before they happen and the job of the writers is to actually come up with a sharper one than you're expecting, and they're mostly not pulling it off.

Still, I did finally get a big, long laugh out of something via...

Spoiler

GOB's incomprehensible speech when giving George Sr. that giant anchor, particularly because it was the moment where I realized the whole point of GOB's girlfriend is that he literally has a beard whose last name is Beard.

Up to Episode 7:

Maeby is just the best this season.

Also, all the actual Howard family turning up this time is pretty hilarious.

21 minutes ago, Katsuya said:

Up to Episode 7:

Reveal hidden contents

I just watched episode six and

Spoiler

The Howards are a real highlight. It's pretty neat to meet them.

I'm finally getting towards the end of Fateful Consequences and I can't tell if I missed an episode or the continuity errors are tripping me up but I've watched like six more episodes since then so I might as well just finish it.  It season five even worth starting? 

The first two episodes in particular are a real effort to get through, but the last 4 or so are definitely worth it. They’re better than any of S4 (although I’ve still not finished the re-cut)

Speaking of the last episodes:

Maeby 100% wins the season. Couple that with Search Party and Alia Shawkat is on a roll right now.

Also, DEBRIE! I hope she’s more of a feature in the second half of S5, especially cool if Portia de Rossi really isn’t up for soon much more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

I'm finally getting towards the end of Fateful Consequences and I can't tell if I missed an episode or the continuity errors are tripping me up but I've watched like six more episodes since then so I might as well just finish it.  It season five even worth starting? 

Having finished the first eight episodes yesterday I think it is, though I also think that waiting until the other half of the season drops isn't a bad idea. The frustrating thing of Netflix pulling this splitting the season in two thing is that it basically means I got to watch the worst chunk of episodes the show's ever had, then I got to watch it start pulling itself together only to just stop and have to wait for an as-yet unannounced date.

Alia Shawkat alone is worth checking season 5 out for, though. She kills it.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2018 at 05:36, Skummy said:

If there's an emotional crux to the story, it's George Michael. It's not Michael that's the character best placed to break away from the family and live a "normal" life, it's George Michael growing up and getting out. 

Yeah, I mean maybe I'm giving them too much credit here but I thought that was intentional, like it was a plot point last season that Michael kept thinking the "father/son" dynamic was about him and George Sr rather than what Ron Howard was actually interested in.

I actually kinda liked the first two episodes?  And now that they're bringing in Trump I kinda don't like it.  Like, I know they basically predicted the 2016 election and I'm cool with using satire to make fun of him but its just too much that now Trump is even in my gosh darn Arrested Development.

If it helps, I don't think Trump comes up at all after that bit where he shows up on TV.

13 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

If it helps, I don't think Trump comes up at all after that bit where he shows up on TV.

He's been in the background of a couple scenes this episode too, but hopefully it's just this one time.

Oh, hey, the second half of season 5 is on Netflix now. Had no idea this was happening and noticed it just now.

On 03/10/2011 at 22:05, GoGo Yubari said:

Read like Netflix vs. Showtime to me. I'd sooner have the latter because after the blunders Netflix has made within the last month re: trying to kill off their DVD service/price hikes I'd rather have a premium cable network that I can trust to be consistent.

Reading about ye olden days Netflix is weird now. Bring back DVDs Netflix!