Arrested Development Returning

Hobo

I laughed far too much at a bar being called 'Jeremy Piven'.

My favorite part. It was actually called "and Jeremy Piven" and the sign was the exact style that his name was displayed in the opening credits of Entourage, where he was always billed last and introduced as "and Jeremy Piven."

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm delighted. Season 4 is the only Netflix thing I've actually straight-up binged, and even though those two days were probably objectively a huge goddamn mess I still came out of it really happy. Probably won't do the exact same thing now since I won't have been waiting a full decade for more, but I'll probably try to rewatch everything leading up to S5's release.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Joshy Roger said:

I'm super glad about this. I'm in the minority that thought Season 4 was really brilliant, and I'd love to know where it goes next.

I thought season four was good, but then I didn't watch it back in the day, I binged all three seasons after it had ended.

Yeah, I really liked Season 4. Bits of it felt patchy, but it was better than Season 3. It had the Sound of Silence gag, so that automatically redeems any drawbacks.

It was an interestingly structured series, too - it was designed with the assumption that people would binge watch it on Netflix, rather than being structured for weekly viewing, so was even more tightly packed with in-jokes and callbacks than usual.

I remember reading that they were looking at releasing it on DVD with the option to watch it re-cut into chronological order - I don't know if they ever did it, but it would be a testament to the quality of the writing if it worked just as well edited like that.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Skummy said:

Yeah, I really liked Season 4. Bits of it felt patchy, but it was better than Season 3. It had the Sound of Silence gag, so that automatically redeems any drawbacks.

It was an interestingly structured series, too - it was designed with the assumption that people would binge watch it on Netflix, rather than being structured for weekly viewing, so was even more tightly packed with in-jokes and callbacks than usual.

I remember reading that they were looking at releasing it on DVD with the option to watch it re-cut into chronological order - I don't know if they ever did it, but it would be a testament to the quality of the writing if it worked just as well edited like that.

I definitely watched some of a fan edit designed to show what the season looks like with all the scenes in chronological order. I think it would be 100% in AD/Netflix's best interest to promote an official version with proper, professional editing a month or two before season 5 drops.

I thought season 4 was really great, myself. There are some weaker episodes (George Sr. and Lindsay aren't characters who really work as the central focus), but I really admired the ambition of it and a lot of the choices they made, particularly in how they depicted Michael when he doesn't have the rest of the family around to make him look better by comparison and how they handled Maeby's.... well, uh, arrested development.

• Like 2