Arrested Development Returning

Hobo

Netflix Instant added a bunch of cool new movies and shows recently, you guys. Les Cousins Dangereux, Caged Wisdom, Girls With Low Self Esteem, Families With Low Self Esteem, Wrench, Scandalmakers, Ready, Aim...Marry Me!, Mock Trial with J. Reinhold, Boyfights, and even Worlds Worst Drivers!

• 2 weeks later...

It's also been confirmed that this series will be less of a reunion and more of a series of "where are they now?" type episodes, chronicling where each family member is after parting ways in 2006. According to Mitchell Hurwitz, the real "reunion" won't be until the movie and this is meant to serve as a lead-in to that.

I haven't read any details on it, but I would assume that they would have shot the movie while doing all of the episodes. If a movie deal falls through for whatever reason they could just throw it on Netflix.

Edit: Just found this

The fresh episodes are “basically just the first act that we hope to complete in a movie, which will be acts 2 and 3,” star Bateman said. “The episodes will set that up, and one will not work without the other.” But he quickly added, “This will, however, provide a satisfying conclusion if for some unfortunate reason the movie doesn’t happen.” In other words, this isn’t merely a one-time novelty return of Arrested Development but the first element in the franchise’s continued re-invigoration — they hope.

• 1 month later...

Casting spoilers! From US Weekly:

Set a few more places at the Bluth dinner table, because when Arrested Development returns for its much-anticipated fourth season on Netflix this May, there will be two new, but familiar faces added to the mix, Netflix confirms to Us Weekly.

Comedy veterans Kristen Wiig and Seth Rogen are among the bold-faced names that will join series as guest stars, the online streaming site tells Us, though they cannot confirm what parts the pair will play in the show.

---

Rumor is that Kristen Wiig will be playing a young Lucille.

Sadly, its one season on Netflix might be its only season..

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told investors Monday that his company would only broadcast one new season of the cult comedy series, which is being brought back after an original run on Fox that lasted from 2003-06.

The return of the oddball comedy was announced in October 2011, and the next month, Netflix announced that it would exclusively broadcast the 20th Century Fox Television and Imagine Television series. The Mitch Hurwitz-run show, which stars Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Jeffrey Tambor, will stream 14 episodes on the service this spring.

After that, the series will need to find a new home.

"Arrested is a unique property, we dont anticipate being able to do season five, six and seven," Hastings said. "We have less of a stake in it. It is really a fantastic one-off, which is coming together incredibly. I think it will be amazing for us, but think of it as a nonrepeatable amazing, whereas the other thing that we are doing is to trying to figure out a real mechanism where we can build shows and develop franchises over the long term. In that way, Arrested Development is a wildly successful tactic, as opposed to fundamental to the strategy."

The CEO name-checked several other series that he considered more "fundamental," including the Ricky Gervais comedy Derek. The company recently debuted House of Cards, its glossy, $100 million political drama led by Kevin Spacey.

A company official told The Wall Street Journal that it would be difficult to reunite again the entire Arrested Development cast, which also includes Porta de Rossi, Jessica Walter, David Cross, Alia Shawkat and Tony Hale. Huwitz has proposed a film continuation of the show, though it remains to see if it will be produced. A Netflix spokesperson later clarified to HitFix that the company would like to produce future Arrested Development seasons, and said that content chief Ted Sarandos would be responsible for working toward that goal.

"We're hopeful there will be more seasons," the spokesperson said. "If anyone can pull it together, it's going to be Ted. But by no means is this the end of it. We're definitely planning to do more with them. We have first rights, so it's not like you'd see it anywhere else. We're absolutely hopeful there will be more."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/arrested-development-netflix-second-season-424376

I've seen that story thrown around a lot, and I just don't really see it as bad news. A lot of people are reporting it as something really sad but that's all I was ever expecting. It's one season to catch us up to where the movie will kick off from. I don't think it was ever supposed to be more than that.

I guess they could do another series after the movie, but why? So it can cling on for too long like far too many other American sitcoms? I'd rather have three (hopefully four) great seasons of Arrested Development than four great seasons and a bunch of mediocre ones where we kind of wish they didn't bother. It's good for things to have an ending sometimes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...