Some thread about the law surrounding parody

Serious Parody

So after playing the game for a bit, I'm getting the hang of it. My shows aren't great yet, but I think they will be once I get some bigger stars and start booking bigger venues. The only criticism I have so far is with the crashing. It's happened a few times. We'll see what happens as time goes on.

I've been playing it quite a bit today and haven't really seen any crashes so I wonder what we are doing differently. Do you use the automate button when setting up events?

No I have not. I've been going about as normal setting up matches and whatnot and it would crash. It's only happened a couple of times, so I'm not too fussed about it. I think I'm just playing it too fast.

Ok, imagine this. Next week, your copy of WWE 12 is in your hands. You put it in your system of choice. You happily play the game until it's time to finish up the match and hit the Rough Rider...the game freezes. You shrug it off. You restart and try again, it freezes. You panic. Each time you try, the same result.

Would you be so apologetic then?

"Oh, well. It's my fault really. I'll just use the Zack Attack instead. :)"

4. I've seen enough footage of Zack Ryder doing the Rogh Ryder in WWE 12 and it works, so you're scenario is unlikely to take place.

Wow.

It's considered traditional in some circles to have people playtest your game before you release it, not after.

Oh TEOL, I'd plus one you if I could :(.

But yeah, releasing a game without extensively testing it = success.

So after playing the game for a bit, I'm getting the hang of it. My shows aren't great yet, but I think they will be once I get some bigger stars and start booking bigger venues. The only criticism I have so far is with the crashing. It's happened a few times. We'll see what happens as time goes on.

I've been playing it quite a bit today and haven't really seen any crashes so I wonder what we are doing differently. Do you use the automate button when setting up events?

No I have not. I've been going about as normal setting up matches and whatnot and it would crash. It's only happened a couple of times, so I'm not too fussed about it. I think I'm just playing it too fast.

Ok, imagine this. Next week, your copy of WWE 12 is in your hands. You put it in your system of choice. You happily play the game until it's time to finish up the match and hit the Rough Rider...the game freezes. You shrug it off. You restart and try again, it freezes. You panic. Each time you try, the same result.

Would you be so apologetic then?

"Oh, well. It's my fault really. I'll just use the Zack Attack instead. :)"

1. A lot of apps crash or freeze on the iPad if you try doing things too fast. It's happened to me with other apps.

2. There's a difference between a big budget $60 game and a $10 iPad game. I have freezing issues with Madden sometimes and it sucks. That shouldn't happen on a title from a polished company like EA.

3. I've only had it crash like twice in the span of a couple of hours. It's not horrible. He also said a patch if forthcoming. Didn't Rylad release a patch for his CBH demo the same day the demo came out? It happens.

4. I've seen enough footage of Zack Ryder doing the Rogh Ryder in WWE 12 and it works, so you're scenario is unlikely to take place.

1. Even so, it's still a huge bother for it to happen.

2. The difference being that they are able to have people playtest it before it is released? Yeah, you can still do that with a game like this.

3. Yeah, 7 times so far (Y) And no, I haven't been playing the game too fast.

4. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imagine

5. Shut Up.

In Serious Parody's defense, as a YouTube Partner I've gone to countless meetings at Google and talked in depth about parody, and copyright, and all that legal mumbojumbo. Basically the rule is "If the consumer, or viewer will in no way confuse your parody with the original copyrighted material, then it is legal." Basically, it's got to be strinkingly obvious that it's not the original product. For the most part, the characters are. However, Rod Van Damn, or whatever the hell it is, is cutting it kind of close. As is the Kane wannabe basically being the Kane design, but blue.

So... actually, I guess this isn't in his defense. You're fucked.

It's considered traditional in some circles to have people playtest your game before you release it, not after.

Oh TEOL, I'd plus one you if I could :(.

Just +1 one of my posts tomorrow that doesn't deserve it. We'll call it quits.

• Like 1

3. I've only had it crash like twice in the span of a couple of hours. It's not horrible. He also said a patch if forthcoming. Didn't Rylad release a patch for his CBH demo the same day the demo came out? It happens.

And this is why it is highly logical to have a demo brought out before releasing the game, free demo gives people the chance to find and report bugs to make the game very close to the perfect model when it is released. All companies that are releasing apps and programs such as CBH and this, should have a beta stage of testing, then followed with a demo, before bringing out the full product for purchase. Saves having these problems that means that people who bought your product can't play it without it crashing for the first week or so!

I can only imagine Mr Hero is such a staunch defendant of Mr Parody because they're in the same boat. After all, do you think that when the WWE steals his idea and makes Zack Ryder win a title within the next 4 months they're going to give him a job?

No way Jose.

In Serious Parody's defense, as a YouTube Partner I've gone to countless meetings at Google and talked in depth about parody, and copyright, and all that legal mumbojumbo. Basically the rule is "If the consumer, or viewer will in no way confuse your parody with the original copyrighted material, then it is legal." Basically, it's got to be strinkingly obvious that it's not the original product. For the most part, the characters are. However, Rod Van Damn, or whatever the hell it is, is cutting it kind of close. As is the Kane wannabe basically being the Kane design, but blue.

So... actually, I guess this isn't in his defense. You're fucked.

But Able only uses two of the four letters that Kane does!

Able wears a mask! Kane doesn't wear a mask!

Able wears blue! Kane wears red!

This though:

10651_11_3f297c0e85.jpg

IMG_0077.png

No similarities at all. None.

And this is why it is highly logical to have a demo brought out before releasing the game, free demo gives people the chance to find and report bugs to make the game very close to the perfect model when it is released.

Why worry about logic.

Ok, this thread has made my day. Watching people I've known for almost 10 years now (really? damn) really tear into this guy and not let up when he tries to dance around various questions and issues has been glorious. There should be a warning on the index of the forum saying 'Do not try and bullshit EWB. We. Will. End. You.'

I love you guys. Also I can push on with my app: Web Forum Management - You join one of a selection of message boards and have to become a respected poster there. EWB would of course be the hardest level :shifty:

• Admin

Sorry chaps, going to keep harping on with this until I get an answer.

OK, serious question: did you contact WWE's legal team with your characters? Because these are not original characters and are treading on the toes of the liklinesses of their trademarks.

able.jpg

Heh, he has a blue mustache.

Sir, I never authorized you to use my signature. That was my 100% original creation.

Hello I am Rod Van Damn, Attorney at Law. My firm has represented numerous clients such as P.J. Stinson, Bill Ghost, Casmir Murphy, and Chaz Mansion. If you would like I am willing to give you a free consultation on copyright infringement because I think you have a case and I want you to get paid for this theft.