Some thread about the law surrounding parody

Serious Parody

Though, I do have a question before i download the game...

Did you guys go through with naming characters Able who looked identical to Kane and a character who looked identical to Rob Van Dam and call him Rod Van Damn. I don't want to reopen the debate as it was stupid before and everybody was talking out their ass, just looking for a yes or no answer...

We created 100% original characters like Able and Rod Van Damn. They are in no way affiliated with any wrestling promotion that we know about. ...

I'M WATCHING YOU LOT

Update: It's been entertaining. (Y)

• Like 5

Okay, I downloaded the game.

Am I misunderstanding, or do I not get access to all the cards unless I pay an additional £0.69 for a new pack?

REFUND!

Well obviously that $9.99 isn't enough to make back his costs. The guy has kids to feed.

Well how else is he going to recoup the quarter of a million dollars he spent having a guy draw Blue Kane?

Actual advice: develop a business model before you release a game to the App Store. I understand that you're doing things like this just because you enjoy wrestling sims, but you seem to have this idea that you can both enjoy it and make a living wage from it, which is just. I dunno. Why would you assume that?

Look at the Minecraft model. Freeware game comes out featuring original concept, fans latch on, paid product comes out of already proven concept, Notch makes a bajillion and three dollars. On a fun, exciting concept and a commodity that was proven to be instantly playable and addictive before you plunked down a single dime for it.

What you're saying is "We have all of this awesome art, but trust me, guys, it's also fun." What you're saying is that you've priced yourself at this point because sims of other sports are similarly priced as if wrestling is suddenly as popular as footie, the most popular sport in the world.

And then you come in here with stone-faced contempt of anyone who tells you that this all probably isn't a good idea.

Even if I could, I don't think I'd play this now.

• Like 1

I'd still play it, and as I said, it were $10 on PC I'd probably buy it, but that doesn't discount any of the other stuff from being true.

Just because I'm dumb with my money doesn't mean the price is justified.

Guest JukeboxHero

JBH is swamped as fuck this weekend, yet been on here hours debating said game? :wacko:

I've been popping in an out of the thread on my phone. I'm currently at out shopping for a birthday present for my Dad. Parents are tough to buy for.

Kaney: Really? I can honestly say I dont recall doing that. Huh. He must have made a point somewhere that I agreed with. Can't be arsed to find it right now.

Benji: I recommend Kelvin Nashers. (Y)

I see they've replicated EWB on this game.

And yes, I would also willingly pay Benji 1 pound for him to do a diary. He would be satisfying a niche market so there is justification in paying him. Plus, he has overheads to think of. How much do you think that laptop cost him? And the iPhone to play it on?

JBH is swamped as fuck this weekend, yet been on here hours debating said game? :wacko:
I've been popping in an out of the thread on my phone. I'm currently at out shopping for a birthday present for my Dad. Parents are tough to buy for.
Get him a massage! Or a massage chair!

Benji: I recommend Kelvin Nashers. (Y)

THIS IS NOT ACTUALLY HILARIOUS.

WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS HILARIOUS THAT HE CAN CHANGE SEVERAL LETTERS IN A NAME.

I mean, I'm not actually trying to pile on her, but fuck, JBH, you're not actually this insipid. I understand this from Serious Parody's perspective--that is, you want to be able to play as the Kevin Nash equivalent in the game, much like you'd play as, ugh, Raven Gush in Fire Pro--but to act like these are brilliant works of pointed satire is just nuts. They're a way around copyright issues. I'm not even playing up the plagiarism card in saying they're not clever. Serious Parody knows they're not clever. Serious Parody also knows that the only way to recoup his quarter of a million dollars that he alleges were his development costs is to give wrestling fans the opportunity to play as people who look like real people that they know.

That does not make them clever or original.

• Like 1

9.99 is a lot of money for a shallow game on a shallow platform.

TEW can be 40 dollars, because Ryland has been making fantastic games for years - originally free. He built up a massive fan base and progressed. And even then, a lot of people (like myself) play and enjoy the freeware version.

It's really not a shallow game, it's a very deep game and we plan on giving away a lot of extra content that will make it even deeper.

BUT

As people keep pointing out, you don't know me or who I am. So here's a couple of examples of my early work. Please look at the comments under the posts to get a better idea of how they were received.

3rd post down

http://boards.ign.com/wwe_smackdown/b6546/173709149/p1/?36

Which I then followed up with this degree

http://boards.ign.com/wwe_smackdown/b6546/183820631/p1/

(That ones 72 pages and has pictures)

This will hopefully give you an incite to the amount of passion I have for this type of game.