Charlie Brooker - Black Mirror

therockbox

I can't believe people are actually trying to justify the finger as nto being a gaping plot hole. It wasn't just the fact that they confused a man's finger for a womans' finger, it was a painter's finger for the finger of a bloody princess.

It was "unfunny... and not clever" but people easily forget that satire, at its core, is neither of those things (any of those elements added is just a bonus).

Sorry, what?

I don´t think the finger is a problem, you have to see the narrow timeframe, that it was send to a TV Station and not PMs or a Police office. Just think about how you would react if you found a finger in your mail. They just freaked, reported and changed the publics mood and even if someone noticed in time it would have been to late to not have him do it.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Heh, we're talking about the British press here. They wouldn't have just freaked out about it, they'd have gone into glorious depth about the bloody thing. That and they made a point about sending it to the authorities, which given the seriousness and the timespan, as you rightly pointed out, I assume was a quick personal delivery rather than a Royal Mail job.

Like I said, I don't have problems with plotholes, but the idea that this was great writing is ridiculous. As is the whole 'satire's not funny or clever' thing. And if somebody else churned that out people would be picking it all to shreds. Brooker gets too much of a pass. Especially considerign how he made his name.

I am not giving him any sort of pass, all i know about him is Dead Set wich was "Ok".

I just saw this episode yesterday without knowing anything about the show and i enjoied it very much. And i actualy thought the writing was clever, for example in the beginning... i wassent shure if this was some twisted balck humore wen they anounced he had to fuck a pig. You, as a viewer, felt exactly as the PM did, thats good writing and acting to company it. - Of cause i don´t know how Ads and Mediacoverage might have altered this feeling for a british person.

This week's wasn't as good. The first half was a bit of a struggle to get through, but it became very gripping as soon as they were at the audition bit right up until the end when it quite obviously turned into "The Network". I was expecting more.

I enjoyed this week's, the pacing was a bit frustrating though. And I think perhaps that one would work better as its own series, so they can establish the universe and further explore character relationships. It would've been nice to see a bit more interaction between Bing and the Asian girl who ws always unimpressed.

I thought it was decent, like a mash up of 1984 and the Network revamped for the 21st century. It wasn't quite as shocking and unpredictable as the National Anthem, and it was noticeably slow in places, but I wouldn't call it "pathetic." Maybe underwhelming, perhaps uninspiring, but still a very watchable program.

All three to me felt like he'd thought up great one line concepts in "Terrorist makes PM fuck a pig", "Reality TV = Evil" and "Sky+ in your head", but the scripts just weren't strong enough to carry the show as long as it went on. I enjoyed them for the most part, but won't be dashing out to buy a DVD.

Like RW, enjoyed this one more than last weeks but preferred the first overall. At least that one seemed pretty original. The last two just seemed to be rehashes of old concepts but with a technological twist.

I also find it somewhat interesting that the first one turned out to be the least advanced of the three on the technology front. Where most shows nowadays try and latch onto the internet (be it even the news, newsnight or, if you've been watching the WWE as of late or had to suffer through the whining about it in the Ring) with Twitter, Youtube and what not, National Anthem portrayed that but the other two got much more advanced.

• 1 year later...

A new series of three starts tonight.

Be Right Back

Charlie Brooker's darkly satirical drama returns with three one-off films. Martha and Ash relocate to a remote cottage, but the following day he is killed while returning the hire van. At the funeral, Martha's friend Sarah tells her about a service that lets people stay in touch with the deceased - by using all of his past social media profiles, a new `Ash' can be created. Hayley Atwell, Domhnall Gleeson and Sinead Matthews star