Charlie Brooker - Black Mirror

therockbox

I can't decide if the future bit was absolutely genius, or ruined the entire thing. It was an interesting additional commentary on the idea of politicians as a brand, but that was already implied from Waldo itself. The episode was the weakest Black Mirror so far from a writing stand point, but the actors pulled it through, and all felt very human (except for that near parody of a TV producer that owned Waldo).

Just finished it the last episode. Liked it up until about half way through. Was really just the point-by-numbers "Politics Alienates People" with ... no pay off. Not really sure what the entire point of the episode was, other than "Rise of the Idiots" (which, since Nathan Barley, I guess was the intention).

Personally I took it that the main character was kind of Brooker/the viewer. Politics is ridiculous, slag it off, pull politicians up on what they say and what they do. People shouldn't take themselves over-seriously. BUT, vote for ANYONE over the modernist youth faux-nihilist nonsense that Waldo offers.

The payoff was more that politics alienates people but politics is better than the alternative. If the alternative is that any moron can text in their "vote" on any matter then that's dangerous and ridiculous. Some people in modern society WOULD attack someone because a popular celebrity figure paid them to (or even just told them to).

• Like 2

It´s a bit more than Penis jokes, but if you consider what happend in Italy the weekend this aired. Berlusconi media empire vs the Comedian. Obviously thats different, but what country actually would go for a cursing cartoon - people are rather conditioned when it comes to voting, they expect different things and many votes are given more traditionally rather than by what the partys/candidates try to portrait or actually do.

Also, in germany we actualy have a satire party. In some regions you can actualy vote for them. While they do it brilliantly (and very german) they don´t get the votes.

I doubt your german is good enough to get this, but here you can see how their head candidate presented himself in a tv "discussion". (it´s from the berlin elections, every party that was up for vote had a cupple of minutes on this show)

Also the Waldo Producer Chick was hot. Amazing trackrecord, three episodes and three girls in em that i consider noticeably more good looking than you average fit random tv girly.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Episode one just depressed me at how close we are already to that reality.

Episode two. Jesus fucking Christ I need a lie down. It played directly into my absolute worst fear too. Bastards.

• Like 1