Charlie Brooker - Black Mirror

therockbox

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Season 4 is so good so far. I'm about halfway through episode 3, and picking up on the little references to other episodes in the show is a fun thing to do. (Spoilers for episode 3, Crocodile)

Spoiler

Wraith Babes on the TV and Irma Thomas playing during the memory recollection scene (remembering when he gets hit by the pizza van), both callbacks to Fifteen Million Merits. Nice touches, I thought.

Arkangel

Spoiler

Jesus. The bit where she is assaulting her mother is one of the few moments I've watched a show and actually audibly gasped. Just the way she goes at it, every time I was hoping she'd stop. That may be one of my favourite episodes of Black Mirror ever. Just the sheer horror, the fact she doesn't even stop to check her mother is alive. What kind of sociopath was created from that? Part of me hopes that they do a sequel to that one day, but jeez I don't know how they can top it.

Crocodile

Spoiler

That was decent, as far as serial killer episodes go, but probably one of the weaker episodes in the shows history. The Guinea Pig twist was dumb as fuck though. Shame, because Andrea Riseborough killed it (both literally and metaphorically) and deserved a better episode for it.

Metalhead

Spoiler

I wasn't a fan either, the whole point of Black Mirror is to show you a technology, show someone using it and then add something that makes you question the morality of the usage. This one was just 'There's robot dogs. With guns. Who are genocidal. Go with it'.

• Like 2

Black Museum

Spoiler

A good episode, not going to be anyone's favourite, but it was decent enough. I liked the main actress, though again the ending twist just sort of fell flat. Not the show's strongest season, but definitely some solid episodes. I'd rank it

1. Arkangel
  2. USS Calister
  3. Hang the DJ
  4. Black Museum
  5. Crocodile
  6. Metalhead