Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Although you have to admit it's kind of telling they're trialling it for Skyrim the same weekend as the free weekend falls

And they are selling it 70% off.

I won't be against them doing the same thing for GTAV ...

The amount of work that went in some of these TES Mods over the various generations makes me think that some of these are well worth a bit of cash and many people will not go out of their way to find a way to donate to the creators. So more power to them.

I am kinda worried about a mega mod that combines other mods like morrowinds overhaul will not be possible now if everyone wants to get 99 cents for a bunch if flowers, but in the end i think that most parts of the moding comunety will stay free just because thats who they are.

Matz touches on one of the big issues with the Skyrim mods, to work a lot of them use the fan patches which are free, without the free patches the mods are useless. Likewise the very first paid for mod was removed because it featured textures or something taken from another mod which the creator of refuses to monetise. All ways round it seems to have been a massive fuck up. Would have made more sense to put it on a game like Cities Skylines where currently all of the mods are independent of one another.

25% goes to the creators of the mods the rest is split between the dev of the game and Valve (but how the 75% is split isn't disclosed).

You need to sell $100 worth of your mod before Valve releases the cash to you, so if it never gets to $100 you never get it.

Conjecture is that they steered away from a Patreon style donation system because apparently you can't legally take a cut of donations, I'm not sure if that's true or not though. I also can't see how if they called it a subscription (as in subscribe 'fuckwit Joe's' mods to gain access) or something similar it wouldn't sidestep that issue.

They could also be skirting a really, really weird line regarding consumer law in various countries (which hasn't stopped them in the past mind). In many countries if you pay for a product it has to work. Valve is saying you are basically purchasing a working version for 24 hours and after that any right to a refund is gone. So if the dev patches the game deliberately or inadvertently breaking the mod? SOL. If you download a mod that works until you get to a certain mission then breaks the game? SOL. If you download 3 mods and the last breaks the first but you really like the third and would rather get your money back for the first? SOL.

Valve must be anticipating making a fuck load of money off this, it was always going to be a PR disaster. Either that or they're so sure they have a monopoly their hubris is becoming ridiculous. Although given that they already breach consumer laws in a number of countries, have really, really, really bad support and will lock you out of your account for doing things that are legal (such as legitimate chargebacks to get around them breaking consumer laws in your country) then I guess that should have already been obvious.

I really, really, really like having all of my games connected to the one service. I have also sunk a not inconsiderable amount of money into Steam given I have 371 games on the service. But I dunno, for all of the praise they get on the internet they have to actually be one of the least consumer friendly services available. It was lovely of them to introduce the idea of supidly ridiculous sales, but I think the goodwill from that has pretty much gone for me. Especially now every online vendor has emulated it and routinely sell games cheaper than Valve anyway.

Edited by Quom
  • Like 1

I haven't, but the Steam Community reviews have the reaction to it down as "very negative". Glancing over some of the written reviews, most of the criticisms relate to an abundance of bugs and glitches, a poor UI, sub-par AI and the fact that you can only play through three seasons before having to retire.

Have any of our racing fans played Racing Manager 2014? It's only $2.99.

If you want a good racing manager there is a very good and crazy cheap one for Android and iOS (tablets as well as Phones). It is called Motorsport Manager and reminds me of the old school Formular One Manager games i used to play way back. The reviews are crazy good and the bit of time i put in was fun. My main problem is that i would rather play it on my iPad but my iPad 2 issent powerfull enough to give it propper loadingtimes. My Nexus 4 is doing fine but i am just not that much of a Smartphone game junky.

http://www.motorsportmanager.net/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.game.motorsportmanager

Edited by Herr Matzat

I dunno, 25% is a pretty reasonable haul, it's about the average amount a third party developer receives after deductibles, at least according to this.

That article does make it seem reasonable at least. At first when I heard the 25% thinking I was thinking "Oh Come on Gabe, Nintendo at least gives the people in their Youtube scheme 40"

I dunno, 25% is a pretty reasonable haul, it's about the average amount a third party developer receives after deductibles, at least according to this.

That article does make it seem reasonable at least. At first when I heard the 25% thinking I was thinking "Oh Come on Gabe, Nintendo at least gives the people in their Youtube scheme 40"

The biggest difference I see is that the 25% from the article is after all deductibles, whereas Steam are having the modders pay up to 30% in tax on their 25% take. So if you sell a mod for $1 you end up getting $0.175 for each unit (-75% then -30%), you would then need to sell something like 575 'copies' to actually hit the $100 pay out threshold.

Until Valve can go through the effort of testing each mod and making sure they all work with each other they shouldn't be selling them for a profit.

Not to mention the copyright claims which could get absurd. I want to know what happens when you pay for a mod and it's taken down because of a DMCA because it has stolen animations/textures.

• Like 1

Yeah watching the internet lose their shit over this has been crazy. Fucking Gabe Newell is getting downvoted into Oblivion over on Reddit. No amount of $100 horse cocks will make up for this disaster.

• Like 1