Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Hey fellers!

I didn't know where else to stick this, but I recorded a match in Hearthstone and uploaded it to YouTube for shits and giggles. My PC is bad, my Hearthstone skills are worse. EDIT: Oh, and yeah, no commentary. Baby steps. 

Edited by Cloudy
  • Like 2

It's on Uplay though. One of Steam's ugly, mutant cousins that is kept locked in the attic and fed fish heads once a month.

Oh. Playing Trials on Uplay wasn't the best, but surely it can't be that bad? It's not like these are online games... right?

Massive Chalice is down to $8 this weekend, but I'm more intrigued by Blood Bowl with the sequel coming out soon.  Anybody have some experience with Blood Bowl 1?

Blood Bowl is fun. I have zero idea of the world its based on (Warhammer or something, I dunno) and to me it feels like a cross between chess and handegg. It took me a while to get the hang of it against the computer but I reckon it must be more fun against a human.

• Like 1

hmm...may wait for the sequel, as you're the first person to say anything positive that I've asked.

Brawhalla, meanwhile, is the amalgamation of Smash Bros. & League of Legends that I never knew I wanted until now.

Pity there isn't a demo to play. 

For the people that are interested in Blood Bowl, it's a really really steep learning curve to learn to properly play the game. I've tried multiple times and never really got further than occassional wins against weak AI teams.

Tactics are a big part of the game, and every single race has their own playing style. Elves/Skaven are all about dodging the shit out of everything. Nurgle/Orcs are brawl&ball teams where you try to simply win by a small margin because most of the game is spent kicking the shit out of your opponents... Then you have a race like dwarves who are all about surviving whatever the opponent throws at you, they're not great at running/passing/smashing, but they can take a ridiculous amount of punishment before they break.

Of course there is a human race which is pretty much every human race in every RPG ever, but that doesn't neccesarily make them the obvious pick for a beginner.

Also, in BB1, don't expect the game to teach you anything concrete other than general gameplay, you'll still be swamped by the first team because you have no idea how most of the game works.

One you learn how the game works, its a really fun game even against AI because it's a challenge (especially if you ''like'' skewed RNGs). And against other people the fun and challenge is ramped up infinitely so.

So just look around the web, look on YouTube, there are a bunch of tuts and let's plays available for Blood Bowl.

PS: also don't expect you can just sit down and play for a bit, average games can take around an hour to complete.!

Blood Bowl is my go to game and one of the best games I've ever played, it does take a lot of learning though to get any good and pick up all the nuances. The game on Steam has got a couple of minor issues with rule implementation but it's functional enough and so can capture it pretty well. A human team isn't a bad starting point as it conditions you to various positions since it's positional players are clear and skilled accordingly - Throwers have skills to help them pick up and throw the ball, Blitzers can block a bit better, Catchers can catch and stay on their feet a little better, Ogres are big dumb brutes, and Linemen are blank templates - so not a bad team to learn from.

Each team will have their own strengths and weaknesses. A Chaos team for example are tricky to get started as nobody has any skills (apart from a bad tempered minotaur, up to you if you start with one!) but as you develop skills they can be the most versatile team to tinker with. My current league team on tabletop are an oddity as while Chaos can cause a lot of pain (claw and mighty blow are one of the most fearsome combinations in the game for causing injuries) mine are set up for a passing game using mutations to make it easier to pick up the ball, throw it and catch it instead with mixed results, no matter how many times you need a 2+ to do something the dice are fickle things!

I love the game but Cyanide haven't done a great job with it - releasing several editions just to add a new team or two due to starting with only a minimal amount - so would depend what it's going for. As a game Blood Bowl can be frustrating, fun and rewarding so if you've not played before worth looking into. If you want to give it a go check out http://fumbbl.com/ it's not as pretty as the regular version but human opposition and a lot of good coaches who tend to be helpful if you say you've not played before. Read the rulebook before getting started so you get an understanding of the various actions, skills and things like "dodging" and "tackle zones" and you'll pick things up then it's polishing those nuances and finding a team and play style that suits you.

I might just reinstall Blood Bowl

You better finish the campaign with an all-skink team!

It's been so long since I've played it that I have no idea what that means >_>

Skinks are super weak, super un-agile players from the Lizardmen. The only thing that they got going for them is a lot of default movement points and some skills.

Basically the choice for a masochist.