Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

I've only picked up the rest of the TellTale games I didn't have. Turns out it was about 30 (in a bundle). Mostly Sam and Max episodes and Monkey Island games.
I haven't really looked through much of the catalogue though so there may still be a few out there I'll pick up.

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

To add on to this, I picked up the rest of the Valve Anthology, H1Z1: KotK, and all the Fallout Games.

HumbleBundle have an Assassins Creed bundle up. $15 for the lot. Missing a few titles but a fair amount there.

https://www.humblebundle.com/assassins-creed-bundle

Why is brotherhood in the 15 dollar bracket, and AC3 in the 7 dollar bracket? And why isn't Revelations in that bundle, wouldn't it make more sense to add the entire ezio trilogy to the bundle?

Also not super excited at the tablet/Handheld ports of Chronicles/Liberation, but I guess they had to pad it up.
Either way, gonna pass this one because after Black Flag i've really lost interest in the series as a whole. And the games aren't memorable enough to play a second time.

I have no interest. I played the first one and thought it was shit, people said play the second it was soooo much better, I didn't like that either. Then I tried the third and it seemed identical. 

I guess it's just one of those series that loads of people love and I just will never 'get'.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quom said:

I hadn't played Isaac for a hot minute. Grabbed AB+ and gave it a whirl. Fuck me I'd forgotten how difficult it is and the new stuff just makes it harder.

I have it on consoles but I'll wait for the update. People are freaking out on reddit because reddit sucks but I'll give it a buy no matter what.

• Like 1

I was watching Northernlion's first AB+ run and people were freaking out in the comments too. A lot of THIS IS A YOOGE DISAPPOINTMENT, THIS SHOULD BE FREE NOT PAID, etc. I think Antibirth coming out so close to AB+'s release date and being a near-complete overhaul of the game kind of hurt AB+, but for practically the entire time we've known about Afterbirth+, it's been "this is mostly a small update that contains a lot of modding tools so Isaac can live on for years to come through fan mods". I don't know where people got it in their heads that it would be a.) free and b.) some big huge update to the game, considering that Edmund and Tyrone never said that.

I am going to be honest and say I've watched the streams of Antibirth and have zero idea where the praise comes from it. It's interesting and fantastic that it is free, but it is this weird position where people praise Antibirth for being amazing and free and shit on Afterbirth+ for being expensive with little updates, but the fact is Antibirth was done by people who piggybacked off the hard work of others. Antibirth is nice and fine, but it is free because this wasn't their full time job and they didn't put the bulk of the work in. I'll gladly pay for Afterbirth+ because Edmund and co put so much time and effort into a game I've played a whole lot. 

I don't really care for Antibirth either, but I think it's a bit unfair to dismiss it as "they just piggybacked on someone else's work". It's a fan mod that took 2 years to create, and was done by a team of only 3 people. It includes new music, new items, new characters, new art assets, new enemies - all this was done without any sort of modding tool to help, just three people who knew how to code and dug into the game enough, rooted around and figured out how they could change the music, the art, items, item synergies, etc.

• Like 1

I mean, it is piggybacking off somebody's work though. I am not dismissing the hard work put in, but the only reason it is released for free is because it was a mod done for a game that somebody else made. Mods are great, but they are created under different circumstances as an entire video game. It was a hobby for the people creating the mod versus a career and several years of devotion by Edmund. The only reason they got half of the attention they did was because of the hard work Edmund did not only developing the game, but the brand of Isaac itself. 

So just because they overhauled a game that already existed, that invalidates the work they did? When you guys use phrases like "piggybacking" it makes it sound like you think their work is suddenly not valid, because they didn't build Antibirth from scratch or something. They took an existing game and basically overhauled it to the point that it may as well be something completely different with a slew of new features, but because that game already existed and "all" they did was mod it, "it's not that impressive". My point is that it's a free mod that came out right before AB+, and had quadruple the features of AB+. Of course people are going to compare the two, and it's unfortunate because it makes AB+ look weak in comparison in the eyes of a lot of players. I'm not saying AB+ is bad or anything (on the contrary, I think all the screaming about how it's a disappointment is pretty silly), but the way you guys are talking it sounds like you're just being dismissive of a pretty interesting, well-thought, well-made mod just because it's a mod and not "official". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I don't really care for Antibirth either, but I think it's a bit unfair to dismiss it as "they just piggybacked on someone else's work". It's a fan mod that took 2 years to create, and was done by a team of only 3 people. It includes new music, new items, new characters, new art assets, new enemies - all this was done without any sort of modding tool to help, just three people who knew how to code and dug into the game enough, rooted around and figured out how they could change the music, the art, items, item synergies, etc.

I think it's because it's iteration rather than creation. Obviously it still requires you to be creative and great or whatever, but it isn't like they've had to create something from the ground up. Plus from what I've seen a lot of the design decision was 'let's make it more bullet hell-y'. 

I also don't like the way people are begging for their opinion on Reddit. Like I don't really give a shit what they think, what Edmund thinks of their mod is interesting, what they think of Edmund's game is irrelevant. Also it wasn't altruistic, they accept and encourage donations. I dunno, like to me a mod is meant to be 'I love this game so much I want to add to it'. Not 'look at all the improvements I made, clearly I'm better than the creator'.

• Like 2

I've never gotten that impression from the Antibirth creators. The fans, for sure, I've seen a lot of comments on reddit and YouTube where people are like "OMG this is so much better than what Edmund and Tyrone did blah blah blah". I don't agree with that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems silly to be so dismissive of Antibirth because it "piggybacked off of Isaac", just like I think it's silly to compare AB+ and Antibirth and scream about how AB+ is a disappointment (even though the comparison is going to be inevitable).

Playing KOTOR for the first time. Realized Stealth was essentially a useless skill, and that the character I was playing was basically Revy from Black Lagoon (I keep turning characters into expies of her. I didn't even mean to do it this time!) So I rerolled and made her actually Revy. Dark side ATM (ofc) but will turn her light side as soon as I get that sweet sweet Jedi training. If I do a second run, it'll be light side turned dark.

42 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

I've never gotten that impression from the Antibirth creators. The fans, for sure, I've seen a lot of comments on reddit and YouTube where people are like "OMG this is so much better than what Edmund and Tyrone did blah blah blah". I don't agree with that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems silly to be so dismissive of Antibirth because it "piggybacked off of Isaac", just like I think it's silly to compare AB+ and Antibirth and scream about how AB+ is a disappointment (even though the comparison is going to be inevitable).

1483502121099.png

Personally I'm not really dismissive of Antibirth, it seems fine. I just think the response to it is way overblown and the new pandering to the creators seems really dumb 'OMG WE SHOULD ALL REFUND AB+ AND GIVE THE MONEY TO ANTIBIRTH CREATORS'

• Like 1