Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Just now, MDK said:

My PC cost about 800 knicker and that was some time ago. A worthwhile investment.

I've got plenty of money once I finish uni and I could buy one but I don't know if there's really much point. My laptop can run all the other games I have, and I own a PS4 for everything else... but it does seem appealing. 

Just now, Owen said:

Student loan, bro. (H)

Getting a gaming PC works out cheaper in the long-run with all the Steam sales and all that. Its worth a look at.

• Like 1

I put together a PC little by little, rather than all at once. It's by no means in the high range bracket, but it still runs pretty much anything I want to throw at it. There are people who insist that no gaming PC that costs under £1000 is worthwhile, but I think that's nonsense unless you're into the benchmark dick-waving contests.

6 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I put together a PC little by little, rather than all at once. It's by no means in the high range bracket, but it still runs pretty much anything I want to throw at it. There are people who insist that no gaming PC that costs under £1000 is worthwhile, but I think that's nonsense unless you're into the benchmark dick-waving contests.

You can put together a decent rig for about 300-400 quid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

But dickwaving is fun :pervert:

• Like 1

Maybe I've come to my senses and realised that I don't need a gaming PC and realised that I'd actually be spending a hell of a lot more money in order to avoid spending money and it'd be silly. Maybe I'll invest in one once the PS4 goes out of the cycle or there are more big games I'm interesting in.

6 minutes ago, Owen said:

Maybe I've come to my senses and realised that I don't need a gaming PC and realised that I'd actually be spending a hell of a lot more money in order to avoid spending money and it'd be silly. Maybe I'll invest in one once the PS4 goes out of the cycle or there are more big games I'm interesting in.

But imagine how fast EWR would load!

• Like 2

Okay, maybe I've changed my mind again. It's an investment! Looks like I can get a decent machine for about £650, but I need to buy a monitor too.

Thinking AMD FX-8350 CPU

4GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

8GB RAM

2TB Hard Disk (there were a bunch of different hard disks to choose from but I have no idea what the difference is between all of em so I just picked the one that was best in terms of the budget).

Other shit too, duh, but that's the main parts I spose. I dunno. Looks like it runs the games I'd want it to so that's fine. Probably still won't end up buying it but OH WELL.

That's pretty much enough to run just about any modern game. My brother has a similar rig that cost him something like $1100 (he bought it piece by piece over the course of a few paychecks), the only difference being that he has 16GB of RAM.

• Like 3

Looks like my sister's boyfriend wants to build the PC for me, so that'd be a significant saving on the build process, which can bring me down to about £500 instead. Can still change a few things around to improve it and it may still be under budget, although that price doesn't include the monitor, case or CPU cooler so they need to be considered too.

I'm struggling to decide what processor to go for. Intel i5-6500 or AMD FX-8350. AMD is a fair bit cheaper but apparently the Intel processor's sorta more futureproof or something maybe? something about AMD not allowing for Dance Dance Revolution 4 (something about DDR i dunno) whereas Intel does?

4 minutes ago, Owen said:

I'm struggling to decide what processor to go for. Intel i5-6500 or AMD FX-8350. AMD is a fair bit cheaper but apparently the Intel processor's sorta more futureproof or something maybe? something about AMD not allowing for Dance Dance Revolution 4 (something about DDR i dunno) whereas Intel does?

Pick things with the highest numbers 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MDK said:

Pick things with the highest numbers 

I did that, as in with the name of it! It's like £70 more for the Intel and the specs seem relatively similar, but it might last longer? Maybe I can stick with the AMD and if it gets bad in a few years then just get a new one? I mean it's bound to last me a while anyway.