New X-Com Game

Herr Matzat

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/06/why-firaxis-loves-xcom.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/february-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

This is the announcement you've been waiting for: One of the most beloved strategy titles of all time re-imagined by one of the best strategy studios in the world. Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown introduces a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place.

Unlike 2K Marin's previously announced XCOM shooter, which sparked tempers among longtime fans for turning its back on the series' cerebral roots, this title is a full-on strategy game that puts players in command of a global anti-alien defense force. XCOM's leader needs a worldwide perspective where threats are identified, populations reassured, and national leaders mollified – but a tactical mind is just as critical considering every shot XCOM's soldiers fire on the battlefield is under the player's turn-based control.

"It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."

If you're lost, you can find out what all the fuss over the original X-COM is in the in-depth Classic GI feature we printed a few months ago (now available online for the first time), which includes rare insight from series creator Julian Gollop.

The huge feature in February's Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more.

In addition, the February issue has our lengthy love letter to the top 50 games of 2011, an exclusive look at new Mass Effect 3 details, and the final word on Final Fantasy XIII-2 along with all the usual goodies.

Click the images below to see the full-size images of the February cover.

NIPPLES. EXPLODING.

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/2kgames/xcom/enemyunknown/reveal/gami_226_cov_a.jpg

I came Elerium-115.

I grew up playing the original X-Com on my grandpa's old MS:DOS, so when I discovered it was on Steam a few months ago, I jumped on that shit and have been reliving what I genuinely consider one of the best games ever.

After the announcement that the "new" X-Com was going to be an FPS, I was pretty disappointed...but this makes up for it. I cannot WAIT for this to come out. Everything is wonderful again.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, got the download working. Holy shit, this game is so much fun. You get two levels, a tutorial and one where it lets you play how you'd like. Kind of. It still made me send the guy with a Machine Gun to the top of the house when it seemed pretty silly not to send the Sniper. And my Sniper ended up dying because I used him as a scout... sure wish I had a spare guy with a Machine Gun to be doing that with. >_>

I can't wait, I've gone from mildly interested to considering pre-purchasing tonight.