New X-Com Game

Herr Matzat

Yeah - there's more missions, so injuries are more inconvenient because you have to promote "squishies" to fill in more, so I cycled through my squishies at an unprecedented rate.

Also I lost my ENTIRE squad in the base defense mission with the exception of one assault trooper, because that trooper GLITCHED OFF A LEDGE AND GOT STUCK meaning I didn't have rapid-firing scatter lasers at the end of the map where you're faced with

Two sectoid commanders, a cyberdisk + two drones and a Mechtoid.

No joke on nothing, I had to have a BASE DEFENSE PERSONNEL CONNECT WITH a SUB-50% SHOT ONE-ON-ONE WITH A SECTOID COMMANDER TO WIN. I dread to think how long I would have had to wait if he'd missed and I just had to count down to until they approached the glitched trooper.

The mission spawn rates can be all over the place. I had an abduction, invasion and UFO mission all within 2 days of each other, the abduction mission left me with 1 healthy rookie left because I ballsed my money up. Due to that I skipped both the invasion and UFO mission causing every single country but Argentina to hit panic levels. I restarted the game. Classic Ironman can fuck right off.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone with Enemy Within played with Training Roulette turned on? For those that don't know, it makes the upgrade tree somewhat random I had a Heavy who at Corporal got Opportunist which is the sniper upgrade that removes the aim penalty on overwatch and lets Reaction shots cause critical hits. I got a support who earned Saviour at corporal (that's the colonel ability of +4 on medkits) and then Field Medic at Sergeant (they get this at that rank anyway, but the point being that I now have 3-shot medkits at +4 heals in the early game. Now I also have a Heavy who has close and personal (automatic shot for an enemy that closes within 4 tiles)

Mind you, the sniper I have got Squad Sight/Snap Shot as its first option, which was almost...disappointing.

I was so psyched for Enemy Within, but it's so hard to go back to XCOM after having beaten the game and amassed my elite squad of badasses already. Starting new, even with all the bonus content, just feels a little empty.

Still really wish they'd included a mode that let you continue to play without the boss stuff, just trying to last as long as possible. The expansion would make it even more fun, as there'd actually be a way to reduce panic at all. >_>

I would urge you to give it a try - especially with Training Roulette. It makes each trooper truly unique. If you lost your badass Sniper colonel, you could train another and he'd do the same job. But with training roulette, I was utterly devastated when my Heavy with Opportunist I mentioned above died.

Also if you haven't played Enemy Within yet, the first time you come across a Mechtoid, your mind tends to drift to "We're going to need a bigger boat" - particularly if you still have bullet LMG's or sniper rifles.

I have! I couldn't get back into it having already beaten it. I got to the point where I had Mech Troopers and a few augments and just kind of forgot to keep playing. It probably didn't help that I didn't run into many of the new missions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

You know those missions you get where you are out of medical help, one of your soldiers is bleeding out but you have an outside chance to finish the mission before they die?

I had one of those but with the twist that the very last enemy was a sectopod that was standing right next to my soldier that was bleeding out. Any other kind of enemy and she'd have survived but the resulting explosion killed her as well. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to playing this.

I like it.

It's going to be horrible watching you all die...

Finally got around to playing this.

I like it.

It's going to be horrible watching you all die...

Playing Enemy Within expansion?

I'm a few hours into it - it's different, fun though. Hearing loads about a Long War mod, anyone tried it? Meant to be insane.

When I completed the game, the first and only time - Enemy Unknown - I had two guys survive the whole way. One assault, one sniper. They were best friends and the Sniper was the one, if you know what I mean. This game brings the feels.

I will again shill for training roulette - once you get through the game, replaying it with training roulette makes it that much more unique. Your soldiers...you may never roll another run and gun mobile sniper! Dem feels!

Enemy Within spoilers, Newfoundland mission..

How hard could it be? I thought, it's Newfoundland. That mission stopped being about winning and more about surviving. Fuckin' Chryssalids. So basically they're hatching out of sharks, there's a few zombies - it's manageable. Then we found the ship that got tore up, with a whale carcass in the hull - full of those fucking things. Someone had to run upstairs and activate the beacon so they could airstrike this thing.

The rest took up positions around the whale carcass, while assault Squaddie Bonnie Warren ran upstairs to activate it. The rest of the squad, being much more experienced, were having an easy time of it at first, one or two of them - the five of them took them out without issue. However.. ammo started to become an issue, as did lack of rockets and grenades. Then two a time turned to three a time and we had to start getting out of the ship.

The beacon was activated and Warren scaled down the ship onto the outside, where she met two of the others who were holding our entrance/exit. The rest of the squad started sprinting out - we had a pick up point and we had to make it.

The three holding the door took a final round of shots and took out of the bastards - another two hatched. All six started dashing as far as they could away from the enemy and towards out evac point.

It was tight at the docks, and they were close as hell - at one point of them caught up with Pox, our Italian Support, and poisoned him. He took a shot with his last clip, but the thing didn't die.

It was a survival mission - so three of the team were told to keep running, as far as they could. Warren, with her shotgun, took the time to finish off the Chryssalid - and honestly save Pox's life. Pox and the other squad member sprinted away - as three of them closed in on Warren. Pox wanted to turn back, return the favour - but it was clear it was over. One of them poisoned her, and another turned her into a kebab, splicing it's claw through her abdomen. She was gone.

Our second ever casualty.

The squad, now 5, continued running. There were now more Chryssalids giving chase. More from the whale, all chasing as quick as they could - as we reached higher ground, two more spawned from nearby shark carcasses, we were surrounded. A new member of the team sent over from China, we called her Cargo, made it to the evac first and was able to reload her gun. The others weren't far behind, but we had two turns left til the airstrike hit and killed everything left in that god forsaken place.

Merely steps from the evac zone, they'd caught up with us - Augustin "Zues" Fournier, our French sniper, was surrounded by three with nothing but his pistol, and no chance. The others all stood safely at the evac at this point. Cargo, with a gun full of ammo, unloaded on one of them bastards, giving Zues the time to dash through the gap and to safety.

XCOM, man.

To get out of that with just losing a squaddie is considered a successful mission. She was a promising young assault soldier though - and was set to become my squads main assault choice. Not anymore.

This mission happened with my basic weaponry and armour. Had we got laser/plasma weapons, or MEC's or SHIVs.. maybe it would have been less about running for our lives.