General Gaming Thread

TKz

If I pre-order Destiny from Amazon, do I have to pay for it straight away? Or can I pre-order, get access to the beta and cancel if I don't like the game, before paying?

I've never done one with a beta but I cancelled my pre-order for Watch Dogs. They only charge you once they ship the item.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been shaking my head from afar at this whole failed YogVentures thing and, to a lesser extent, this apparent 'controversy' over they getting potentially getting financial benefits from the games they cover. Didn't really feel it worthy of posting about though until this latest update from the developer of the game which includes the rather farcical story of how they had a contract with one of their arists to the tune of 35k, paid seemingly up front and in full. This person then left for LucasArts and they had no means to get the money back.

That is fucking absurd.

I think NerdCubed had the best point on the whole YogDiscovery 'money from sales for coverage' thing. If a reviewer will get money from the sales of a game in the days after their review then to the reviewer there's a financial incentive for that review to say the game is really good and you should go buy it, instead of being honest and saying it's only okay and should probably wait until it hits a Steam sale.

The difference is that Yogscast don't do reviews. If we were talking about a review site, that'd be fine. But their an entertainment site, their videos are in no way reviews, they're not remotely critical, it's just them playing the games. And they've made it pretty clear that they're only doing games they've tried and actually enjoyed themselves. This isn't IGN saying we'll review your game for a cut of the sales, it's a game that wasn't getting any sales, so the developers have the choice to offer up a cut of their sales in a certain month for coverage on arguably one of the biggest youtube channels. If you've watched any Yogscast, they're pretty honest about the games they play. If it bugs out and is a piece of shit, they'll generally laugh themselves silly and call it on it. See any of the Trucking Tuesday series or Farm Sim.

But again, they don't do reviews, like, at all. It's really no different from the "hey, play our game on your channel and we'll give you some cash" offers that most YouTubers get. Except they're covering games that don't really have the money to get that kind of deal. And it's not like they're saying "any game we cover will have this in place or we won't cover it", it's down to the devs if they'd want that kind of deal. Not to mention it's both very obvious when a game is played for a paid promotion and they're going to be making note of which games are taking part in this.

As for YogVentures, I'm pretty bummed that we haven't seen anything about the supposed £150k that's gone missing from the Kickstarter money, but apart from that I don't really see how you can blame the Yogscast for the failure, except maybe for hiring a fairly unprofessional team to work on the project. But then I've always been of the opinion that if you're backing a Kickstarter, you should know you probably won't see any return on that investment. You're not buying an early copy of the game or shares in the company, you're literally giving your money away to someone else. It sucks that people backed it and won't see anything for their cash - but no one was forcing them to back it in the first place.

October is going to be a brutal gaming month for me.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is out on Fri, Oct 10
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is out on Fri, Oct 17
Civilization: Beyond Earth is out on Fri, Oct 24

Plus AC and FM tend to come out at end of Oct/start of Nov, and Pokémon ORAS follows the month after.

Time to start saving now!

Speaking of YogsDiscovery, Eurogamer had a pretty good piece last week about the ethics of programs like that. It's worth a read, I think.

October is going to be a brutal gaming month for me.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is out on Fri, Oct 10

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is out on Fri, Oct 17

Civilization: Beyond Earth is out on Fri, Oct 24

Plus AC and FM tend to come out at end of Oct/start of Nov, and Pokémon ORAS follows the month after.

Time to start saving now!

Well, uh... good news.

Dragon Age is moved to november. Your complaints have been heard.

Looks like the rumors of Google buying Twitch.tv are true.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/24/googles-1b-purchase-of-twitch-confirmed-joins-youtube-for-new-video-empire/

It's a "source familiar with the matter" and Google and Twitch are both declining to comment, so we'll see. If it's legit I imagine it won't be too long before Google/Twitch announce the purchase.