General Gaming Thread

TKz

It's an interesting hybrid style and I do like the idea of "live" performances. I do think however within a short space of time "the bandmates" will wind me up. I'm already wanting to punch the gurning buffoon in the banner of the article and I've not even touched the game yet. No backwards compatibility and that it's "just" a guitar game certainly weigh against it for me at the moment. Half anticipated a revival of this for the current generation but it feels that already the bloody music peripheral game market is over saturated and they're not even out yet!

There are interesting ideas in there and will be interesting to see where they go with it but for now it's a wait a while game, especially as can't play it solus and will NEED to buy the new peripheral edition.

1. There's a learning curve to that 2x3 button layout that is going to irk a lot of first timers or people who are rusty. Doubly so if they don't respond to sliding one finger along both buttons.

2. No mention of soundtrack or if previous games' tunes can be used. I understand they're likely going for the reboot philosophy, but I wonder how people who played the prior games are going to feel about potentially rebuying tracks.

3. I'm very curious as to what price point this will hit. It sounds like they're trying to take a $20-$30 title and spread it across as many formats as possible. I like that idea, but Activision makes me very wary of what they may charge for such a title.

4. They stole the font from Star Trek.

1. I feel in the wake of RockBand and Rocksmith they needed to do something difererent to change things up. When you got the ability to actually play a proper guitar for these games then their old design really isnt working anymore.

2. They havent released a track listing but in the article mention that the base game will include tracks from "The Black Keys, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Gary Clark, Jr., Green Day, Ed Sheeran, The War on Drugs, The Killers, Skrillex, The Rolling Stones, The Lumineers, Pierce the Veil and Blitz Kids and more", on top of that there is the GHTV feature, essentually a DLC to watch music videos and then have the runway pop up and play along with the song.

3. In the article they say the base game with controller is around £90

I'll reserve comment on that until we get a firm price on the Rock Band stuff. If Harmonix busts out a $150 bundle (I suspect it'll be closer to $200-$250), then $100 for a plastic guitar and a piece of software seems a bit much.

Several of the bands listed in that article were already veterans of this genre. Gary Clark, Jr., Sheeran, War on Drugs, Skrillex, more Stones, and "Ho Hey" (because that's the only Lumineers song I suspect we'll see -- hope to be wrong) could be interesting additions. Always seemed to be a lot of crossover between the games' soundtracks.

I guess points to Guitar Hero for having a new idea but I'm not that interested in a solo-instrument game and the live aspect, while novel, does feel like it's going to get really tiresome after a while. STOP MAKING FACES AT ME, SKINNY DRUMMER.