General Gaming Thread

TKz

Does anyone else think that Tony Hawk 5 just doesn't look good at all.. and I mean in both ways you could take that?

Every trailer, screenshot and the Conan gameplay I saw makes it look so bland. The graphics (which I rarely harp on) look PS2ish, the levels seem pretty vacant of personality and it just wasn't what I thought should come back. It's certainly looking like a numbered game, but I don't think people were clamouring for that kind of title. I could see another game like that (which isn't the remake) selling for half price. What I really wanted to see back was THUG or American Wasteland. Those games were awesome because you started out as a nobody, skated in places that were actually populated - and even though they were over the top there was a lot of fun in the environment.

I've heard that the Tony Hawk game license expires this year, so it was probably a last-ditch effort to make some money out of the franchise. To be fair, I think the series has been dead in the water since they started making those terrible peripherals. It was already losing steam after Underground 2 (I think it was around then?) and I think Ride was the game that killed it completely.

As a kid, I really enjoyed THUG2. Going back, THUG is so much better and a lot more fun to play than THUG 2. I liked American Wasteland, too, but in terms of sales, as far as I'm aware, they'd lost a lot of steam. I might be wrong, though.

I just Finished up Legend Of Zelda's Majora's Mask for Nintendo 64 for the first time, had heard the last boss battle was hard and i walked through it to be honest was kinda disappointed other then that it was really fun tho.

I tried playing Batman Beyond Return Of The Joker but it was a piece of crap so i decided to skip to my next game Paper Mario which is another game i had never finished so im pretty excited for it

WildStar, the Carbine Studios MMO, went free to play yesterday. It's got the same sort of F2P model a lot of MMOs are using nowadays, what with the ability to buy in-game currency that allows you special items etc. Players can still subscribe, and those who do receive special benefits. I played WildStar the first month it launched and really enjoyed it, but not enough to justify paying $15/mo for it, especially since I still had an active World of Warcraft subscription at the time. It's worth noting that Carbine Studios is made up of 17 ex-WoW devs, as well as devs from Diablo II, StarCraft, Fallout, EverQuest, and City of Heroes. If you like MMOs and are squeamish about paying a subscription price, I would suggest checking it out.

It's quite a large download, though, and the system specs recommend you have at least 8GB of RAM - which I realize isn't a lot to most people anymore, but for other folks like me on hand-me-down and budget PCs, you'll want to turn down a lot of settings to get the best performance out of the game. Still a really fun game, though.

The Free-to-Play launch trailer is ballin' as well.

It's ugly as hell, broken as hell, the reasons the makers gave for certain decisions are entirely bullshit (yeah right, changing the graphics to optimize when you still frame rate stutter on MUSIC), having to load between simple objectives, levels are shit and empty and look like they were just made in the meh course creator, day one patch is nearly double the size of the game and hardly fixed anything, is full priced when it really feels like more of a 20 dollar game, was seemingly built off the Tony Hawk HD engine but is somehow worse...

• Like 2