General Gaming Thread

TKz

There's a treasure trove of games there, and it really all comes down to what you've played before and what you're interested in.

Platformer-wise, you've got the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games, whilst some of the side-scrolling action-adventure/puzzle games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the Tombi/Tomba series are also highly regarded. The more "serious" action games include Metal Gear Solid and Syphon Filter, or you could go with survival-horror and plump for something like Resident Evil or Silent Hill. For JRPGs, consider the Final Fantasy games or the likes of Suikoden, Grandia or Vagrant Story, or for something a little alternative and harder to define, there's always Kula World and Vib Ribbon.

Essentially, it's a matter of which games you can get hold of and what you have time to play. Almost all the games I mentioned are available on the Playstation Network and can be played digitally on PS3 or Vita (and possibly PS4 soon, if rumours are to be believed), and that's a much cheaper option than trying to look for physical copies. Suikoden and Tombi are particularly rare and go for silly money on eBay, so get those digitally if possible. Other than that, there are bound to be plenty of games I haven't thought of, so check some of the many "Best Of" lists that almost every gaming site has produced at some point or another.

• Like 1

So me and my mate got the new COD black ops game and it's safe to say we both thought the story was shit and shorter than any of the others. Didn't know what was goin on half the time.

Multiplayer is better though imo if you are gonna get it. I wouldn't pay full price for it though. I traded a few xbox 360 games in to get in 

So in a very interesting and almost unprecedented note - The Crew: Wild Run comes out tomorrow. It's basically an expansion pack that adds some things to the game like bikes, more challenges, etc - you'll see it in stores because you can but it with the base game at a reduced cost. What makes this special however is the fact that if you own the game - you'll be getting an update to it tomorrow anyways and it includes Wild Run's advanced graphics and dynamic weather system.

The new graphics are on the left, old on the right.

On 12/11/2015, 03:00:36, Bobfoc said:

There's a treasure trove of games there, and it really all comes down to what you've played before and what you're interested in.

Platformer-wise, you've got the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games, whilst some of the side-scrolling action-adventure/puzzle games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the Tombi/Tomba series are also highly regarded. The more "serious" action games include Metal Gear Solid and Syphon Filter, or you could go with survival-horror and plump for something like Resident Evil or Silent Hill. For JRPGs, consider the Final Fantasy games or the likes of Suikoden, Grandia or Vagrant Story, or for something a little alternative and harder to define, there's always Kula World and Vib Ribbon.

Essentially, it's a matter of which games you can get hold of and what you have time to play. Almost all the games I mentioned are available on the Playstation Network and can be played digitally on PS3 or Vita (and possibly PS4 soon, if rumours are to be believed), and that's a much cheaper option than trying to look for physical copies. Suikoden and Tombi are particularly rare and go for silly money on eBay, so get those digitally if possible. Other than that, there are bound to be plenty of games I haven't thought of, so check some of the many "Best Of" lists that almost every gaming site has produced at some point or another.

I forgot about Syphon Filter. Did they ever make any games in that series outside the PSOne?

FINALLY bought and started playing Grim Fandango on Steam the other day. It's only been like a decade since I first thought "I've got to play that game at some point", but at least I waited until it was about £3.60 in a sale.

Not going to follow achievements in it (they're mostly hidden and seem to be of the "complete conversation with X character" kind anyway), so just going for normal completion.

But...Christ. It's been so long since, for example, I played a Monkey Island game not-knowing what I was supposed to do - but were their puzzles as ridiculous/bastardish as this?

Honestly. I glanced at a walkthrough for help on a specific bit once I had gone round in circles on it half a dozen times, and the solution was literally something I would never have considered dong in a million years. I sense there are going to be more moments like this too.

Fun game though. I like Manny. I liked how when I instructed him to pick up a giant piece of cat poo he didn't just say "Nope", but instead broke down with sarcastic laughter.

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

FINALLY bought and started playing Grim Fandango on Steam the other day. It's only been like a decade since I first thought "I've got to play that game at some point", but at least I waited until it was about £3.60 in a sale.

Not going to follow achievements in it (they're mostly hidden and seem to be of the "complete conversation with X character" kind anyway), so just going for normal completion.

But...Christ. It's been so long since, for example, I played a Monkey Island game not-knowing what I was supposed to do - but were their puzzles as ridiculous/bastardish as this?

Honestly. I glanced at a walkthrough for help on a specific bit once I had gone round in circles on it half a dozen times, and the solution was literally something I would never have considered dong in a million years. I sense there are going to be more moments like this too.

Fun game though. I like Manny. I liked how when I instructed him to pick up a giant piece of cat poo he didn't just say "Nope", but instead broke down with sarcastic laughter.

Grim Fandango is probably my favourite game of it's type ever, but yeah some of the puzzles are insane. Was it the whole "breaking the machine" bit in chapter one that you got stuck on? I think I've done it twice and had to look it up both times...

No, I got the breaking the machine...but pretty much by chance, having just played with it for a while. I also spent a lot of unnecessary time on getting into the DoD tube server thingy, having to break it three times before I realised that I could flip the latch on the door to allow me entry afterwards (I was sure that after the mechanic guy talked about the fire extinguisher actually causing fiery death when combined with the gloop that this would be involved somehow).

The bit that forced me to the walkthrough was the part where Glottis and I were driving around in the car and I simply didn't realise that I was supposed to a) pick up the sign, and b) use it as some crazy compass thing to find the hidden entrance. I just wandered around for ages and it didn't really seem obvious what I was supposed to be doing other than there was a gate with a lock on the opposite side of the area that I needed a key for.

• Like 1

It's really bastard hard. I'm going to pick it up again at some point and I think it'll be interesting to see if I can do it without walkthroughs. I did the Monkey Island special editions from memory, I don't think I'll be able to do the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2015, 4:52:44, Ruki said:

I may have just played the first game ever to give me motion sickness....Elite: Dangerous.

I've been working with the new Gear VR (Samsung's VR device because absolutely everyone has one now), and fuck me is this going to be a problem in the very near future. Programmed our mobile graphics demo to work in a VR environment and while it looks great, it made me feel seasick after a few minutes.