General Gaming Thread

TKz

I really wish the concept of collectibles would die a death. They're the most frustrating and artificial game extending thing in the world. I shouldn't have to be checking a walk through every few seconds just to play your game. If you're going to do collectibles, make it one per level or something.

• Like 5

I like them when they're done well - they should be a reward for exploration and for thinking outside the box, not just lazy additions for completists. Much like my oft-repeated complaints about achievements/trophies.

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm not 100% averse to them, but every game seems to have them these days. It's like, really, do I want to spend all my time traversing every rooftop, mountain and ocean in San Andreas for each collectible that adds nothing to the game? I like ones where they're things like audiologs where they add to the game universe or tell a story, but just "find 60 out of 60 of this thing" is just bleurgh.

30 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

I would totally do double the collectible-hunting in any game if it guaranteed there weren't any online multiplayer trophies.

What, you mean you don't like being unable to 100% old games because no one plays them online anymore? >_>

• Like 1

That, or being unable to 100% new games just because I have a day job that prevents me from being on par with the kind of obsessives who make online gaming their home, meaning I'm unable to score enough wins to reach some arbitrary multiplayer ranking level.

Plus interacting with other human beings is what I got into gaming to avoid. :shifty: 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

lol, trophies.

This is my feeling on the whole thing. I like getting the ones that come with going through the game organically but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend an extra 20 minutes just for one trophy. I don't know how Jericode and Benji do it. I just don't have the time to put into games anymore.

1 hour ago, Forky Fork's Forky Bunch said:

This is my feeling on the whole thing. I like getting the ones that come with going through the game organically but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend an extra 20 minutes just for one trophy. I don't know how Jericode and Benji do it. I just don't have the time to put into games anymore.

Motivation, determination, and procrastination.

Plus, I also have very limited social life since I've graduated a year before nearly all my friends, so they're all dotted around at various unis I can't be arsed to travel to and I'm stuck with nothing to do once I'm home from work :P

• Like 1

I don't go out of my way to get Trophies or achievements, but I don't understand the viewpoint held by the people who actively hate them. I can see that they might be problematic if you're playing an online game and people are messing around in order to get Trophies instead of playing the game properly, but I'm not sure why anyone would consider them a problem in other circumstances. It's not as if Trophy notifications can't be turned off and ignored if you don't care for them.

• Like 1

You know that section in the board rules that mentions topics coming up multiple times? Specifically the Bloodninja cybering joke that I don't think has ever come up once?

That should be re-written to cite the achievement/trophy discussion we seem to have on a monthly basis.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ellisnezer Scrooge said:

I hear the Angry Up The Scot achievement might be made obtainable again soon...

God bless you.

9 minutes ago, Ellisnezer Scrooge said:

You know that section in the board rules that mentions topics coming up multiple times? Specifically the Bloodninja cybering joke that I don't think has ever come up once?

That should be re-written to cite the achievement/trophy discussion we seem to have on a monthly basis.

God bless you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ellisnezer Scrooge said:

I take off my robe and wizards hat.

• Like 1