TKz

General Gaming Thread

zero    9,400

Only time I buy physical now is if Target does their buy 2, get 1 free sale. I might lean a little more toward physical with the Switch for storage purposes though.

• Like 1

Skummy    35,574

I buy very few games, but lean towards physical more often than digital.

It's for financial reasons more than anything - there's no VAT in Jersey, but digital copies are charged at the full UK price, so outside of sales/offers usually work out to be more expensive than buying the physical copy locally. On top of that, I like to keep in the habit of buying something physically, in person, not just to support local business, but because I know if I get into the habit of buying digitally, it would be way too easy for me to spend money on a whim and regret it. Adding in the steps of having to actively go out, find, and purchase the game gives me more time to consider whether I actually need the thing. I buy so few games anyway that it's not really an issue.

I also don't particularly trust digital media in general, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Apsham    10,143

I went all digital with my 3DS and that paid off for the most part, no need to handle carts, etc - so I did the same thing with the XB1 and that really worked out well because of the cloud saves coming over when you re-downloaded a game again, etc.

But for the Switch I wanted to go physical and I have done so for any game that is available in that format - the system doesn't have a lot of memory, even expandable and I really like the cases... Nintendo stuff is always fun to collect. However there's an issue I've been having with the fact that everything I want to buy doesn't come out physically.. a lot of things sub-30 dollars are either out digital-only on other platforms so the developer doesn't bother OR around 20 dollars and putting it on a cart would probably raise the price. Grumble.

zero    9,400

Go physical for the big first-party releases. Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, etc. Resale value for Nintendo games is always pretty high and you don't have to worry about Nintendo still not figuring out a universal ID system. 

• Like 2

Apsham    10,143

Yeah my general idea is to buy anything that I CAN physical, as a physical realease. Otherwise I'd just get full up on space anyways.

Benji    43,295

Buying my external hard drive for PS4 the other day destroyed all those concerns for me. I just downloaded almost everything in my library to play any time.

• Like 2

Skummy    35,574

http://www.paprium.com/

I need this game in my life.

A new 2D side scroller for the Mega Drive! Apparently it won't run on a third-party console, which is all I have at the moment, so may end up investing in a Mega Drive for this one.

RPS    12,177

I think more indie copies should strive to do what the Binding of Isaac did and have a reason to buy the physical copy. Their manual was fantastic for the Switch version and almost made me buy a physical copy without even owning a Switch yet. 

• Like 2

Skummy    35,574
57 minutes ago, RPS said:

I think more indie copies should strive to do what the Binding of Isaac did and have a reason to buy the physical copy. Their manual was fantastic for the Switch version and almost made me buy a physical copy without even owning a Switch yet. 

This is true not just for games, but for films, music, even books - make the physical copy something worthwhile, not just a box with a disc in it, and people will buy it. It's why so many limited editions come with artbooks or soundtrack CDs, or things to that effect, rather than just additional in-game content.

• Like 1

RPS    12,177

I think it's way easier to justify as an indie company. Taps into the nostalgia of our youths and is a great way to expand lore and story without incorporating into the game directly. 

Isaac's deluxe version had stickers too. 

• Like 1

Regia    203

So I managed to get my hands on Guitar Hero Live for the Xbox One from Game at the weekend. I've gone to play it, but I can't get the controller to connect. I keep reading about a dongle (which wasn't in the box). Do I need a dongle to connect it, or is my Xbox just being a massive pile of shit?

Cymbols    2,324
4 minutes ago, Regia said:

So I managed to get my hands on Guitar Hero Live for the Xbox One from Game at the weekend. I've gone to play it, but I can't get the controller to connect. I keep reading about a dongle (which wasn't in the box). Do I need a dongle to connect it, or is my Xbox just being a massive pile of shit?

Common problem apparently, but there's a workaround. Spoilered for length:

• Like 2

tristy    2,881

So, I signed up for Gamefly almost a month ago. I've had the new Final Fantasy for a few weeks... it's alright. If I had more time to play besides the weekends, I would probably be really into this game since the combat isn't turn based and there's plenty of sidequests. But, alas, I only really have Fri-Sun to play Xbox and even then, it's not an all day/night thing like when I was younger. So, I'm sending it back tomorrow. But, I need to know what to get next. 

My Queue has, in this order: Resident Evil 7 (Medium Availability), Mass Effect Andromeda (Low Availability), Hitman: Complete First Season (Now), Doom (Now), Deadpool (Now), Alien: Isolation (High), Quantum Break (Now), Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Medium), Dying Light (High), State of Decay (Now), and Life Is Strange (Now).

If I leave my queue the way it is, I'm probably getting Hitman next (which is fine, I haven't played Hitman since the very first one on PC) unless I get lucky and they send me Resident Evil. Is there anything I listed that I just need to play immediately? What say 'ye, EWB?

Regia    203

Extremely helpful :P@Cymbols

• Like 1

Cymbols    2,324
3 minutes ago, Regia said:

Extremely helpful :P@Cymbols

Couldn't resist! I have no practical answer though sadly. 

• Like 2

MDK    22,679
31 minutes ago, Regia said:

Yup, need a dongle. Take it back to Game and slap them with your cock until they give you a dongle. 

• Like 1

Regia    203

Well that's highly annoying, I was very much looking forward to having a play on that tonight.

Edit: Apparently you can request a replacement from the Activision website, which I have done in case I have no luck tomorrow.

Paton    520

Didn't know where to put this, however, rather than making an entire topic about it - does anyone play CS:GO? I've recently picked it up because I felt there was a lack of online shooting games that I wanted, so, I inevitably bought this. I'm brand new to it, so any tips/help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Benji    43,295

I had contemplated playing it because it's still got a very active community, but now I'm really into Rainbow Six Siege and that's filled my shooter void.

Skummy    35,574

Had my first proper go on Puyo Puyo Tetris last night. I've always sucked at battle mode on both games, I'm much better at the single player stuff, and the battles seem ten times harder on this already. Couple of levels into the Story mode, and that seems fun, though.

I can't seem to figure out how to, or even if you can, play endless Tetris, though? I've found marathon mode, and endless Puyo, but not endless Tetris?

Paton    520
5 hours ago, Benji said:

I had contemplated playing it because it's still got a very active community, but now I'm really into Rainbow Six Siege and that's filled my shooter void.

If you pick it up, let me know, we could play. 

Benji    43,295

I just spent two hours starting and finishing The Park and just... wow. I've always known games don't have to be long to be good, but that... just damn. Give it a shot from start to finish, it's literally only a couple of hours.

EDIT : Just checked my trophies, took me 80 minutes, examining everything I found.

Edited by Benji

TheWho87    1,593

I've been volunteering at a charity shop for a few weeks now and on Friday someone donated 10-12 boxes full of collectable action figures (Alien, Metal Gear, Predator, Resident Evil & Robocop) and video games (PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360 & Japanese Dreamcast), I sorted through them and picked out around 45 games and offered them £50 and was willing to go upto £80 since I knew they had some value but wasnt sure on their going rate. Of the games I wanted were all the Japanese Dreamcast titles and around 8 PS3 games, all of which they wouldn't allow me to buy saying they had to go on eBay, I was ok with losing the Japanese Dreamcast games since there was around 20 and was thinking they would even out at around £10 each, so I countered with £40 for the rest if they including the PS3 games but they would not allow it. In the end there was 15 games left and they said I could have them all for £3, I was willing to pay £1 per game, that was what my initial offer was based on, but since they were not willing to add even one of the PS3 games for a bit more I accepted their offer which equaled out to 20p per game.

These are the 15 games I was able to get

- D (PS1)
- Dino Crisis (PS1)
- Dino Crisis 2 (PS1)
- Discworld (PS1)
- Enigma (PS1/Japan)
- F-Zero GX (GameCube)
- Ico (PS2)
- Parasite Eve II (PS1/Japan)
- Project Zero 3: The Tormented (PS2)
- Resident Evil (PS1)
- Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
- Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
- Resident Evil: Survivor (PS1)
- Vigilante (PC Engine)
- Yakuza (PS2)

• Like 1

Brian of Tarps    2,879

The 2001 iteration of Duke Nukem Forever looked pretty fun. 

(Take a wild guess what I've been playing recently.)