General Gaming Thread

TKz

1 hour ago, apsham said:

I don't do it a TON myself and it's a varied system because a company can put in good achievements or really shitty achievements - but I don't see an issue with trying to get as much as humanly possible out of a game that you've spent a lot of money on.

Nobody said there is anything wrong with it. However, I just spent 3 hours on a game collecting shit and it got me 1% of the actual completion. That's just craziness to me. I did spend a lot of time trying to knock down tower defences too because I suck at sailing that stupid ship but still.

I used to very much of the "fuck 100%ing a game" disposition...but I reached the point where I had 10 (20? 30?) games sat around which I'd only ever played a little of, and I was finding it difficult to be bothered to pick up any one of them and play for more than 20 minutes. And yet I would still be drawn to buying new games, so...a waste of money, really. Trophies gave me little things to focus on to get into the groove of things - or reasons to pick back up games I enjoyed but had little motivation to play after finishing the main story. Fueled by the appeal of little lists and tick boxes, I guess.

And of course, now I'm hooked. :shifty: 

• Like 2

Anyone played Firewatch yet? Bought it from the PS Store on a whim last night without many expectations and found it to be really enjoyable, if not short and somewhat anticlimactic. Engaging though, and one of those games were you don't actually do anything but still feel engrossed.

Recommend.

I've watched some awesome gamplay. It's landing at a time where I likely won't have time to play it, and if I'm not going to buy on launch I'm going to wait for the price to go down knowing the way that Ubisoft sells their games - but it looks freakin' awesome and a change of pace that was much needed.

22 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Something about Far Cry 3 didn't quite click with me, and I missed Far Cry 4 for the same reason. Primal looks quite intriguing, and, even though I'm not likely to play it, I'll be interested to see how people get on with it.

Really? Far Cry 3 was the best in the series IMO.

Well, I can't compare it with the others because, other than Far Cry 3, I've only played the original Far Cry, and that was for about an hour. I think it might have been the first-person controls and vehicle handling that put me off, but I never quite got into it in the same way I did with something like Red Dead Redemption, which was loosely similar in its open world mechanics. I might have taken to it more if it weren't a first-person shooter, but, again, I don't really know.

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Well, I can't compare it with the others because, other than Far Cry 3, I've only played the original Far Cry, and that was for about an hour. I think it might have been the first-person controls and vehicle handling that put me off, but I never quite got into it in the same way I did with something like Red Dead Redemption, which was loosely similar in its open world mechanics. I might have taken to it more if it weren't a first-person shooter, but, again, I don't really know.

That's the way I felt when playing Far Cry 4. I could tell it was an awesome game, and I really wanted to enjoy it but my hatred of FPS games really just doesn't allow me to enjoy it. I wish I was actually good at FPS games because some of them have some really good stories but I suck at them.

I've had Terraria for ages on my PS3 and I always fell into the same routine of starting a new game, playing for a bit then getting irritated/confused before falling back to Minecraft then repeating that every couple of months. Then I got it for the 3DS and I've done more in 3 days than I ever did on the PS3 and I'm only upto the first boss, and the only reason I've seen why the boss is kicking my ass is because I havent been bothering with ranged weapons.

I think its the same as the current console version, not sure about future updates with it being on the 3DS, I think Binding of Issac has an issue about updating their 3DS version due to some limit so that may be an issue at some point.

Havent had any problems with the performance, the only thing that happens with me is when I have the touch screen to the zoomed in mining/building mode it gets a bit of slow down if a lot of stuff is happening in the same area, although this is mostly around my main building.

Another thing is the map I believe is automatically the smallest, simalar to the mobile version.

Edited by TheWho87

I went and confirmed - and yeah, it actually is equal with the console versions which interests me a lot now. Good to know.

Issac uses Flash for its engine which is crazy outdated and not very optimized - that's why they had an issue with not being able to put the expansion onto the N3DS version. I'd say that Terreria would be fine for all future updates.