General Gaming Thread

TKz

For anyone interested, Lionhead Studios is closing down and the new Fable game is cancelled. Shame really, I loved Fable and Black & White, but they always seemed to over promise and under deliver. Hopefully everyone finds employment elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, apsham said:

Beta for Fable Legends was supposed to start like - this week. So it's a really odd move and a really odd week for Microsoft in general with the other stuff that hit.

Curiously, I believe the beta will run all the way into April, so you can still play it for a bit.

This does make me nostalgic for Black & White 1.  That was the only game from Lionhead that seriously hooked me.

I'm enjoying the new Hitman, it allows you to do the assassinations in the way you think best but also gives you hints as to how to pull them off in more spectacular ways. It always frustrated me that I knew there were cool ways to do the kills but could never find them.

I've not had any server trouble and the online contracts looks promising if slightly underwhelming at the moment, it will be better when there's more than a handful of levels to create from though.

So the first time I played through Paris? Took me about 2 hours.

Tried it again, did it a different way, managed to do it in about 40 minutes (and had the pleasure of drowning a man in his own vomit).

Okay, I am terribly stupid... but these VR Headsets... are they all compatible with every system? Like is an Oculus compatible with Playstation and Steam?

8 minutes ago, RPS said:

Okay, I am terribly stupid... but these VR Headsets... are they all compatible with every system? Like is an Oculus compatible with Playstation and Steam?

Oculus is compatible with steam AFAIK. Dunno about Google Cardboard.

Yeah from my google search it seems like all the VR head sets are exclusive at this time. Which is a bit shitty, but it is the infancy of the hardware. $599 is a huge asking price for the Rift, but the Playstation VR seems to be lesser quality and I wouldn't want it only to work on my Playstation. 

"Three video game patents that were maybe a mild inconvenience at worst, with one of them arguably being beneficial, and a trademark that affected absolutely nothing at all about how you play games and got thrown out as soon as it was challenged anyway." :shifty:

On 3/16/2016 at 02:28, RPS said:

Yeah from my google search it seems like all the VR head sets are exclusive at this time. Which is a bit shitty, but it is the infancy of the hardware. $599 is a huge asking price for the Rift, but the Playstation VR seems to be lesser quality and I wouldn't want it only to work on my Playstation. 

Rift and Vive are PC based. Playstation VR is PS4 based. There would be a much higher chance someone works out a way to get the Sony one to work on PC than there is getting the PC ones to work on PS4. You'd also want to look at the specs for the PC ones, you basically need a very, very top-end ($500) graphics card and requirements are only likely to increase with time I'd imagine.

The finalists for the 2016 class of the World Video Game Hall of Fame have been announced, you can vote here:

http://www.worldvideogamehalloffame.org/

I'd argue Pokemon, Space Invaders, GTA III and probably the Legend of Zelda would be my picks, though I never played Final Fantasy at a point where I understood what was going on so don't particularly get the hype. :shifty: 

On 3/29/2016 at 01:01, Quom said:

Rift and Vive are PC based. Playstation VR is PS4 based. There would be a much higher chance someone works out a way to get the Sony one to work on PC than there is getting the PC ones to work on PS4. You'd also want to look at the specs for the PC ones, you basically need a very, very top-end ($500) graphics card and requirements are only likely to increase with time I'd imagine.

You need more than a decent graphics card, the processor needs to be pretty great to get games running at optimal FPS (which is way more important for VR). On top of that, you also need to have 3 USB 3.0 ports. Which isn't expensive, just mildly annoying. >_>