General Gaming Thread

TKz

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if there is a thread for The Witness, but man oh man is that game fucking amazing. I'll spoiler because it sort of spoils how to solve a certain type of puzzle, but I won't explicitly state which puzzle it is. 

So I am playing and I reach a point in the game where I have zero idea how to solve this puzzle. Everything was relatively straight forward, but it takes time to figure out the logic of the puzzle. I am just sitting there and I am just dumb founded on how to solve this one puzzle. There doesn't seem to be any prompts in the puzzle that are helping me. I turn it off because I am hung over and play it the next day. I stare at this puzzle for ten minutes the next day and I just start to randomly put solutions in trying to figure the puzzle out. All of the sudden I notice in the environment behind the puzzle... it lines up. Turns out that is the key to solving the puzzle. 

One of those few times in a game where I was like "holy shit, these guys are fucking brilliant. This game is great.

I love it. It's definitely the most mentally challenging game I've ever encountered. It's actually surprisingly a really great couch co-op game. Me and the better half were taking our own cracks at puzzles. 

19 hours ago, RPS said:

I don't know if there is a thread for The Witness, but man oh man is that game fucking amazing. I'll spoiler because it sort of spoils how to solve a certain type of puzzle, but I won't explicitly state which puzzle it is. 

Hide contents

So I am playing and I reach a point in the game where I have zero idea how to solve this puzzle. Everything was relatively straight forward, but it takes time to figure out the logic of the puzzle. I am just sitting there and I am just dumb founded on how to solve this one puzzle. There doesn't seem to be any prompts in the puzzle that are helping me. I turn it off because I am hung over and play it the next day. I stare at this puzzle for ten minutes the next day and I just start to randomly put solutions in trying to figure the puzzle out. All of the sudden I notice in the environment behind the puzzle... it lines up. Turns out that is the key to solving the puzzle. 

One of those few times in a game where I was like "holy shit, these guys are fucking brilliant. This game is great.

Isn't there one puzzle where...

Spoiler

You have to wait until a very specific time of day for a particular clue to reveal itself / allow the solution to be uncovered?

4 hours ago, DFF said:

Isn't there one puzzle where...

Reveal hidden contents

I have yet to encounter that. It's funny because your first hour struggling with the game definitely equips you to approach the puzzles in different ways and it feels amazing. It teaches you to look around all your surroundings and check all the puzzles around to make sure. It's a tremendous game.

Finally finished playing through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and whilst I really loved the gameplay and so many more options for purely stealthing it... The actual story, less so.

But at the end of it, I was mostly left feeling really really unfulfilled. And the game just feels half-finished. The main story is really short, and there being only one main hub area in Prague is a dissapointment compared to HR's Hengsha, and Detroit. The city also doesn't feel 'big' and important as did the HR ones.

The story is good, but it never feels overly important, so when you're thrust into the finale it's not built up at all and falls really flat. The side-missions are fleshed out really well, but ultimately too few to really tide you over, and they don't impact the story other than giving you more praxis kits, so there were only a few side characters I cared about, and only a few of them I really gave two shits about.

You also don't meet up with all but one character from the previous game, which is a dissapointment. And that one character is part of a sidemission that never gets a conclusion, leaving everything up in the air.

Either Ubisoft ran out of time, half assed the stories badly, or want to shill more DLC at a later date. Because after I think ~15 (slow) hours of gameplay, I never really felt I did anything super interesting other than what happened in the final 30 minutes. Which, as noted, falls flat due to the lack of story preceding.

I liked the game, I really did, because I love Deus Ex's world. But it's a game that's supposed to be based on a strong story, and it never delivered.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Would anyone know a good place to pick up retro games (IE Snes games) that isn't Ebay?

My Girlfriend got me a clone console for my birthday since I never owned a SNES. I'm looking into an Everdrive, but I'm waiting to hear back from the company to see if it supports it, so I'm weighing up my other options.

Mark Zuckerberg's scheduled to take the stand in the $2bn lawsuit against Facebook/Oculus VR by ZeniMax.

The crux of the lawsuit is that when John Carmack left id - owned by ZeniMax - he took with him the VR software that would later go on to become part of the Oculus Rift. ZeniMax have attempted to prove - using a video taken years before Carmack met Palmer Luckey - that they had a functional VR headset prototype. 

While he was questioned by ZeniMax’s lawyer last week, Carmack admitted to taking thousands of documents and lines of code. “I copied files that I shouldn’t have. I think stealing is an uncharitable way to look at it since I didn’t benefit and ZeniMax didn’t lose, but I shouldn’t have done it, and I did,”

"Nobody got hurt and I didn't get gain anything, so is it really stealing" is.. a defense, I guess?

Been playing Bastion recently (I know, years late to the party), but damn - how beautiful is that game?

• Like 2