General Gaming Thread

TKz

Completed Arkham City yesterday. Didn't feel it was as good as Arkham Asylum as far as gameplay went, but the story was a lot better, all very cohesive and interesting, and... (end game spoilers)...

... even though I called Clayface being the fake Joker from the start, it was still a fun revelation, and a great fun final battle.

Little let down by the lack of anything major in Catwoman's story. I literally finished all that DLC in the story within an hour max.

I've pretty much lost all faith in current gen console gaming and I need some input on how I can stop myself from turning my PS3 into an over-sized doorstop.

First of all a back story. I held off from current gen for a couple of years whilst the gaming libraries of each console built up. Got a 360 when the Elite model came out but when I left the family home I let my lil' bro keep it. I wasn't too bothered, I barely used it and when I did sit down and play games it was either Gran Turismo on PS2 or Football Manager/Civilization/Age of Empires/EWR on PC.

Fast forward to about two months ago and I take advantage of Game/GameStation entering administration by picking up a PS3 for just £100. It's only the fat 60gb model but it's right up my street because its backwards compatible with PSX/PS2 and i'm a retro nerd. (Mortal Kombat Trilogy on PSX is still one of the best fighting games ever made IMO).

Anyway, I pick up some games and everything is peachy... Until I get Skyrim. The bugs made that game unplayable for me so I take it back to the shop only to be told that they are not liable for the games bugs, and that the product they sold to me (the disc) is in top condition and they can't give me a refund. Ok, fair enough, Grainger Games have their red tape so I just leave it be. Before I left, the manager told me to connect to the internet and update the game to see if that helps. It is at this point that I begin to anger. I inform the manager that the Elder Scrolls are and always have been single player offline games and it should work out of the box, regardless of whether I use my PS3 online or not. I begin ranting about how games used to be, how if they crashed you just pulled the cart out, gave it a blow and put it back in. As I leave I curse Bethesda for rushing to get the game out on time knowing that any bugs can be sorted by releasing patch after patch. -_-

This pissed me off to no end. Skyrim has long gone from my house and I will not be getting it back anytime soon. I'm sort of fed up with current gen console gaming. Everything is rushed to make it's release date and they just fill the holes in later. It's piss poor development and I don't support it.

Are there any decent games for PS3 that simply work out of the box?

TLDR Skyrim made me lose all hope in current gen console gaming. Are there any games that simply 'work' out of the box?

Edited by Manifest

I begin ranting about how games used to be, how if they crashed you just pulled the cart out, gave it a blow and put it back in. As I leave I curse Bethesda for rushing to get the game out on time knowing that any bugs can be sorted by releasing patch after patch. -_-

So basically you're an impatient asshole?

• Like 4

Well, whether or not Skyrim was shit, I never ever had a problem with running it; never a crash, never a bug, never anything wrong. Then again, I don't do first-person games on consoles because that is just dumb. So, PC master-race? Yes, indeed.

I got bored of it after a week but that has nothing to do with performance.

It was cause it was shit.

Well, whether or not Skyrim was shit, I never ever had a problem with running it; never a crash, never a bug, never anything wrong. Then again, I don't do first-person games on consoles because that is just dumb. So, PC master-race? Yes, indeed.

I've played Skyrim on 360, PS3 and PC and never had a single problem.

Getting back into playing it now actually, forgot how awesome it was.

I bought Oblivion just to see if I even liked the Elder Scrolls series... I really didn't. At all. I imagine Skyrim is just more of the same, but with better graphics and a new story.

Yeah man, fuck those publishers and trying to fix the bugs they missed in this HUGE games with hundreds of hours of gameplay after release. What a bunch of dicks.

I only ever encountered the lag problem that the PS3 was having, but even that sorted itself out. And if you think Oblivion was without glitches, then I have to question if you ever actually played Oblivion.

• Like 1