General Gaming Thread

TKz

^---- That's because Teemo is a trash champ ;)

My main champs are: Nasus, Warwick, Ryze, and Lux. I don't actually play ranked, but based on what some website said I think I'd be 'silver' something. Do you guys (hey Matzat!) know if anyone else on here plays? I can't believe there's only three of us!

So I guess me buying the CoD games for single player is stupid then? I hate playing games online. Always have to be honest as I much prefer playing them for the story. I enjoyed MW3 for as far as I've gotten through it. I'm also getting Black Ops and probably Ghosts soon.

I need some recommendations for Xbox 360 games with good stories.

If you enjoy them, then no of course it's not stupid. I just personally haven't enjoyed them.

Well, like I said, MWIII was the first one that I ever played and I enjoyed it when normally I'm not an FPS type of gamer. I like third person adventure games and things like that. I was actually quite surprised at how much enjoyment I got out of MWIII. But I know that a lot of the CoD love is for multiplayer so if the story doesn't really get any better than I kind of feel like I shouldn't have asked for Black Ops and Ghost for xmas and should have went with some different games.

If I remember rightly, I thought 4/MW1 was alright, and World at War wasn't all bad. I think FPS games are probably the wrong place to look for strong stories (although I found Bioshock to be the exception to the rule). Spec Ops: The Line is definitely the way to go if you're after a story in a modern military setting though. Third person shooter and it's a bit clunky at times, but good stuff. I hate that they shoehorned a multiplayer mode in there, kind of goes at odds with the message the story was trying to make (turns out the original developers hated that too, it was the publisher's decision to add multiplayer).

My main champs are: Nasus, Warwick, Ryze, and Lux. I don't actually play ranked, but based on what some website said I think I'd be 'silver' something. Do you guys (hey Matzat!) know if anyone else on here plays? I can't believe there's only three of us!

I think Damshow might...or he might just watch streams. But yeah, surprised there are only a few of us.

Also? Fuck you. Teemo is wonderful!

I can believe that there aren't more people.

I've tried to play LOL about.. three times now? And the people who currently play it (even my friends who try to guide me through) are fucking terrible for helping out new people. I need to basically learn the ins and outs of every minor aspect of the game to not get yelled at - while at the same time basically learning an entire other language to even be able to communicate with my teammates.

Blah. I'm a bit LOL jaded.

That League of Legends sounds suspiciously like that tower defense (Tower Defense X) or whatever it is that's like Dota.

Man I miss Dota :(

AFAIK LOL was a mod (or something) of DOTA.

I can believe that there aren't more people.

I've tried to play LOL about.. three times now? And the people who currently play it (even my friends who try to guide me through) are fucking terrible for helping out new people. I need to basically learn the ins and outs of every minor aspect of the game to not get yelled at - while at the same time basically learning an entire other language to even be able to communicate with my teammates.

Blah. I'm a bit LOL jaded.

That's totally fair, I'm a decent player and I still get flamed regularly by arseholes who often blame their own poor performance on you (i play 'jungler' a lot), then there are the trolls who instalock in the game lobby and don't call their role out etc.; or feed intentionally. The 'community' definitely needs a lot of work, sometimes you can get flamed on your first death! :P I usually just mute the arseholes, though it helps if you expect aresholes, it used to bother me more than it does now as I'm used to it.

There's the Tribunal to punish these types... except of course if you play on the Oceania server... where there is no Tribunal :(

Edited by snakesonaplane

There isn't a tribunal on Oceanic? Weird.

And Apsham! The community can be a pretty terrible place! Lots of angry people who throw a hissy fit over nothing.

But! If you want to give it a try again, I would gladly play with you and help you. Teach you things like lane roles, last hitting, buffs, freezing lanes, ganking, proper item builds and the like.

There may come a time where I want back in. I mean - I didn't uninstall it this time at least!

I just don't like the idea that - if I mess up initially and fall even the slightest bit behind - I am basically ruined and stuck in a 20-30 minute game.

This is one reason why I like to play late-game dominant champs like Nasus (top or jungle), or Ryze (mid), as your peformance early-mid game is less impactful on the match result. Obviously if you feed your lane opponent really hard it can hurt the teams chances late game, but say you're playing nasus, you can lose lane cleanly and die a few times, but late game you'll be stronger than the person who used to bully you!

Nothing beats your 13 year old teammate rageing at you for killstealing because your oponend walked into a shroom while you actualy were at the other end of the map!

I don´t know if anyone plays. But we can try to get some full team action going. DrRadon is my Name, but my states are downright terrible. :Dhttp://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/39460300

I'm confused wikipedia states this:

Steve "Guinsoo" Feak, the previous designer of the popular Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom map Defense of the Ancients, and Steve "Pendragon" Mescon, the administrator of the former official support base for the map (www.dota-allstars.com) to develop League Of Legends.[23] Using the original DotA created by Eul (the original Defence of The Ancients map for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos) as a base, Guinsoo made DotA Allstars by inserting his own mix of content, greatly expanding the number of the heroes, and adding recipes, numerous items and various gameplay changes. Guinsoo then passed version 6 of the map on to a new developer, IceFrog.[citation needed]

The idea of a spiritual successor to Defense of the Ancients that would be its own stand-alone game with its own engine, rather than another Mod of Warcraft III began to materialize at the end of 2005. League of Legends was born "when a couple of very active DotA community members believed that the gameplay was so much fun and so innovative that it represented the spawning of a new genre and deserved to be its own professional game with significantly enhanced features and around-game services

I've never actually played DOTA, but is it the same as the map this passage is talking about? I.E. a Warcraft III mod, or is it a standalone game? Or is DOTA as a standalone game a recent thing like LOL?

Much confused.

Edited by snakesonaplane

DOTA was the Waecraft Mod, Dota 2 is a steam game because Valve just snatched the guys away from under Blizards noses. Blizzard will bring their own MOBA with "Blizard AllStars". There also is a bunch of different games besides these, like a Lord of the Rings themed one that actualy was on PS+ for example.

I think LoL has by far the most players even if it has been hit by some people for being to "simple" compared to other mobas.

And this is mine: http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/39794657

I played DotA 2 once or twice...pretty much the exact same map as LoL, just bigger.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/38451324

I'm silver! I started Silver IV but didn't play ranked for ages so it demoted me to V :(

Also a very long but very informative image:

league_of_legends_infographic_800-610x52