General Gaming Thread

TKz

I was going to put this in the Sony thread, but I'll put it here instead: 

Why did anyone think it was a good idea to remaster the Crash Bandicoot? Those games were never any good. 

12 minutes ago, Liam said:

The games were pretty good.

I always thought they were pretty inferior platforming games. Maybe I am a Mario fan boy, but I played the first two Crash games when I was a kid and was sad I wasted my money because they were just no bueno. 

I played through them recently trying to get through them since I had bought them ages ago and never got around. They're.. alright, by todays standards. The first one is a total pain in the ass and the others are good if not mired with some terrible levels. It's a nostlgia buy if anything I guess.

6 minutes ago, Apsham said:

I played through them recently trying to get through them since I had bought them ages ago and never got around. They're.. alright, by todays standards. The first one is a total pain in the ass and the others are good if not mired with some terrible levels. It's a nostlgia buy if anything I guess.

I think it is a lot like PaRappa was released again. It's like... this was cool for the time period, but does not age well. 

I'd be down for a new Crash game for 2017, if they found an interesting concept. I just always thought the original games were no fun. 

I liked Crash Bandicoot: Warped a lot when I was a kid. Not enough to buy a remastered collection but I had good times with it.

Since I don't know where else to put it, I played through What Remains of Edith Finch this week. I really dug it, it's weighed on my thoughts in a way most video games don't after I finish them. Definitely the best of the "walking simulator" subgenre that I've played, it really takes a lot of what I thought was cool about Gone Home (good attention to detail, effective soundtrack and lighting choices, excellent voice acting) and improves upon it, in part by having a lot of cool thematic ideas for the flashbacks. It's some really macabre shit, but it's not bleak about it considering it's a game where you're basically just witnessing/experiencing stylistic depictions of various members of a big family meeting their demise. All the characters, even the children, feel real and fully fleshed out with maybe once exception, and...

Spoiler

supposedly that character who isn't really explored in the same depth as the others is actually a character who appears in a previous game the developers made, so he didn't necessarily need it as much.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I'd say the same thing about Banjo-Kazooie myself. I didn't play it back in the day, and its flaws are particularly glaring to me. Ditto for, dare I say it, Super Mario 64.

I have avoided Mario 64 because it absolutely blew my mind as a kid and consumed so much of my time, but I absolutely know it does not stand up to the test of time. 

I still happily play most games I liked when I was younger. The reason I'm not planning to buy the Crash collection is because I already have the originals on the Vita, and I actually played through Crash 2 and 3 a few months ago. I also play the first Metal Gear Solid every year or so. Would I recommend them to new players? Perhaps, but with considerable hesitation, so I can definitely see where you're coming from.

The only old games I've replayed and soured on were the original Resident Evils. I thought they were great back in the day, but I just find them to be horribly tedious now.

11 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I still happily play most games I liked when I was younger. The reason I'm not planning to buy the Crash collection is because I already have the originals on the Vita, and I actually played through Crash 2 and 3 a few months ago. I also play the first Metal Gear Solid every year or so. Would I recommend them to new players? Perhaps, but with considerable hesitation, so I can definitely see where you're coming from.

The only old games I've replayed and soured on were the original Resident Evils. I thought they were great back in the day, but I just find them to be horribly tedious now.

I like to go back and play games I never experienced, but that N64-PS1 era was revolutionary, but the game play does not hold up. 

1 hour ago, RPS said:

I have avoided Mario 64 because it absolutely blew my mind as a kid and consumed so much of my time, but I absolutely know it does not stand up to the test of time. 

I still found it a lot of fun to play on the DS or 3DS or whatever it was I had.

10 minutes ago, MDK said:

I still found it a lot of fun to play on the DS or 3DS or whatever it was I had.

My better half bought me Ocarina of Time and I am of the opinion that game does not hold up very well. I don't want to soil Mario 64! 

I liked Ocarina when I played it on my 3DS XL and then, like all Zelda games ever, I just got distracted shockingly early and never went back to it.

13 minutes ago, RPS said:

My better half bought me Ocarina of Time and I am of the opinion that game does not hold up very well. I don't want to soil Mario 64! 

I think it holds up well on the handheld consoles. Still a lot of fun.

6 minutes ago, MDK said:

I think it holds up well on the handheld consoles. Still a lot of fun.

There are certain game mechanisms I just don't think hold up. Games these days hold your hand through everything and Ocarina does not at all. There are times you are left puzzled as to what exactly you are supposed to do. 

Just now, RPS said:

There are certain game mechanisms I just don't think hold up. Games these days hold your hand through everything and Ocarina does not at all. There are times you are left puzzled as to what exactly you are supposed to do. 

I will say this is exactly why I ended up getting distracted.

I was playing a game yesterday where a major boss/enemy wave fight drove me absolutely fucking nuts and took like seventeen tries to get right, and my dual thoughts were "oh god this is fucking impossible, I hate it, I wanna quit" and "man, twenty to twenty five years ago, shit like this was just expected." It was an interesting process, because I did have to learn a lot of things about my environment and about setting up choke points and whatnot but it's so antithetical to the way games are structured and presented now.