General Gaming Thread

TKz

16 hours ago, Astro Forky said:

So I fired up Kingdom Hearts tonight. Two hours in and I've gotten absolutely nowhere substantial yet. I've been spoiled by how much current games lead you around by the hand because this one does not. I think that's what originally stopped me from playing too far into this when it first came out. Hopefully since I'm a bit older and possibly more mature, it won't give me as hard a time as it did back then.

Where are you at?

Managed to do quite a bit in the last couple days. Went through Wonderland, The Coliseum and Tarzan's jungle. Got me a jungle key and a piece for my gummi so that I can go to other worlds. God the controls suck worse than I remember but I think I'm doing much better than my original time through. I hate not being able to carry my whole inventory in battle though. Especially when Donald and Goofy fuck with my potion supply.

So I just 209.4%'d Fez. Interesting game, and definitely a lot of great setting and mechanics, but like fuck would I ever complete that without a walkthrough. There's difficult, and then there's obnoxiously difficult/specific to certain groups of people (for example, one puzzle apparently needs you to know computer programming languages to crack,, and that's AFTER translating the Fezian language itself). It doesn't suprise me that someone with the attitude of Phil Fish created it. A game should never force you to that length just for a puzzle.

42 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Sonic Mania is getting some great reviews. It seems as though it may actually be as good as it looks.

I had faith. Christian Whitehead did a better job on the mobile ports of the other Sonic game than any other game I have played. Dude knows what makes Sonic. Really excited for it.

I picked up Sonic Mania, which is something I wasn't planning to do until all these nice things were being said about it. I've only played the first three zones, but there's already a lot to like. It's a blend of classic Sonic with some nice little surprises to spruce things up here and there. I won't spoil it, but the second boss on Chemical Plant Zone is one to look out for.

What's also good is that is runs at a lovely, smooth frame rate and has the option to add one of two CRT filters to give the game even more of a retro aesthetic. Combining the two has the effect of giving you the Sonic look you think you remember as a result of your mind buttering it up a bit, but which never really existed.

Sonic Mania is great fun - agree on that boss fight, that made me grin like an idiot. Some of the level design is absolutely fiendish, and there's a perfect mix of nostalgia trip and enough new features to make it feel like a genuinely new product and not just a cynical cash-in. It's clearly a labour of love.

I'll say, so far, that my only real criticisms of it so far are that some of the level design leans a little too heavily on the Sonic 2 style of just shooting you all over the level at high speeds with minimum control over Sonic at all, which looks great for the trailer, and has always been a part of Sonic gameplay, but is perhaps a little overdone here. The others are that, maybe it's just me, but it feels that some of the boss fights aren't all that intuitive and it's not always immediately clear what it is you're supposed to be doing, and that the special stages to unlock stuff are the fucking Sonic 3 "collect all the blue spheres" shit and I suck as bad at them as I ever did, and the controls are no more responsive than they were 20 years ago.

Finally got round to playing Resident Evil: Biohazard. Got to say I'm really impressed and thoroughly enjoying it, even if I do end up flapping it half of the time...

On 8/17/2017 at 14:55, Davidmarrio said:

Finally got round to playing Resident Evil: Biohazard. Got to say I'm really impressed and thoroughly enjoying it, even if I do end up flapping it half of the time...

Completed the game. Really enjoyable and well worth picking up if you haven't played it before. 

1 hour ago, Davidmarrio said:

Completed the game. Really enjoyable and well worth picking up if you haven't played it before. 

What is it called in Japan? The Resi games were always called Biohazard in Japan.

Calling it Biohazard 7: Biohazard would just be daft.