General Gaming Thread

TKz

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a real let down for something I had pretty decent hopes for. I was hoping for hack and slash plus puzzles, but it was puzzles plus hack and slash, and whilst the puzzles, atmosphere and story building were great, it doesn't make up for the general gameplay being a bit shoddy and forcing you to go round the houses a lot on puzzles. Plus I was a bit disappointed by the finale.

But seriously - the game is called Hellblade, so why the fuck was there so much focus on puzzles and not hack and slash?

On 20/12/2017 at 08:28, LUKIE said:

I am 3 achievements away from Platinum God then just have to do the last layer of achievements (1,000,000% etc).

Taken me months since I set the task for myself. Wife absolutely hates the game because I spend so much time at it.

I just finished everything for Keeper. Now just some challenges and I'll be 1,000,000%. 

• Like 1

So I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas that has 85 games preloaded plus it plays cartridges. There is a game I played when I was a kid for The Genesis that I want to find, but can't remember the title.

It is a side scroller action shooter. All I can remember is that the first level is of a desert-like terrain, and if you go left from where you start you find a cave system with - I believe to be - a cyclops or something.

I am 27 now with the last time playing a Genesis being when I was 8 or 9. Can anyone help me with the info I have given?

Happy with my post Christmas haul: XCom 2 Digital Deluxe Edition, Nioh, Uncharted Collection, Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration, and Dragon Age Inquisition: Game of the Year edition, all for an out of pocket cost of about $15

Only game I might get during the sale is AssCreed2.

There isn't an utterly tedious overworld like the Kingdom in 1, is there? Because everything about the Kingdom was more obnoxious than the beggars, the shoveguys, AND the real world interlude stuff combined.

Only one I've played besides 1 is Black Flag, so I know they've also done away with the endless streams of PLEASE SIR CAN I HAVE SOME COINS and have done an overworld right at least in Black Flag, so.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

AC1 was a revelation of a game for its time, since it really defined a new genre of games (tower-climbers and sneak-stabbers) to the masses (Seeing Thief kinda did the sneak-stabbing way earlier). But looking back upon it after having played the Ezio trilogy, AC3, and Black Flag, the game just doesn't hold up at all. For all the good reasons, its sequels do things better, refine the system in ways that makes you wonder why it wasn't in the first.

In a way, the first one is mostly a tech demo turned into a game, like the first Crysis if you will. It was a way of showing off the power of next gen consoles, the capabilities of the new systems on a level of physics and graphics.

Once that game proved to be a huge sleeper hit (Ubi never expected to make AC into a 'big franchise'), they came back with AC2 and made it better in every way. The setting, the characters, the graphics, and the gameplay, Ezio's story is legendary.

I'd say that even today AC2 holds up as the best rounded package of all the AC's, since the story is just so much better than what came after.

Maybe for the sake of completionism, you can check out a Let's Play or a cutscene only video for the story, but really AC1 is a skip unless you're really serious about having played all games.

Well now you're making me expect it to be better than Black Flag, that's a pretty high bar.

It's a hard call - the series of games in the Ezio trilogy are really good and if you can buy them in that pack instead that would probably be the preferred way to get at them these days. It's about as core gameplay for AC that you can get though so some of the aspects of Black Flag might appeal to you more.

Honestly the only part of the story I didn't like about Black Flag was..

Spoiler

It made zero sense for Kenway to decide to go nonlethal when he stumbles onto the secret Assassin hideout. I mean, yeah if he killed them on the sight the plot gets kind of thrown in the bin, but Kenway didn't know that.

2 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Honestly the only part of the story I didn't like about Black Flag was..

Reveal hidden contents

Are you talking about the character that gave me a confused boner?

1 minute ago, MDK said:

Are you talking about the character that gave me a confused boner?

I think you're talking about Mary Read/Captain Kidd (though I pretty much figured it out right away, albeit it was less obvious than Naoto Shirogane in Persona 4). I was talking about Edward Kenway, the protagonist.

Just now, OctoberRavenO said:

I think you're talking about Mary Read/Captain Kidd (though I pretty much figured it out right away, albeit it was less obvious than Naoto Shirogane in Persona 4). I was talking about Edward Kenway, the protagonist.

Oh I clocked her straight off, but I mean are you talking about that level with the super secret things in your spoiler? 

1 minute ago, MDK said:

Oh I clocked her straight off, but I mean are you talking about that level with the super secret things in your spoiler? 

Well now I'm confused

Spoiler

Cause I do remember Mary Read being there, but I also remember them meeting after Kenway knocked out / evaded a whole bunch of Assassins. He just washed up on the shore, saw these mysterious guard dudes and... decided not to use his weapons for no raisin. If Read actually told him not to go lethal on them beforehand, that'd at least be a reason... though OTOH I don't see Kenway actually agreeing to the idea either.

I mean at that point he knew fuck all about the Guild, other than that dude in the prologue having fucked up his voyage. Certainly had no reason to hold back on them.

Just a huge gaping plothole that could have at least been covered up by Read knowing he'd be there (which WOULD be in character for Read, being a high-tier Assassin and all) and having nicked his gear.