General Gaming Thread

TKz

9 hours ago, Skummy said:

Yeah, that was tedious as hell. And a very Kojima monologue. By the end of it I still had no idea what any of his motivation was.

If I remember correctly, he was a survivor of a massacre in his village that he blames America for, embezzled funds from FOX to fund bioweapons, stumbled across the vocal cord parasites and got infected with them and because of it can go longer speak his native language (which I think was Hungarian?), and he's going to get his revenge by using the vocal cord parasites to kill everyone who speaks English. Then after that something something giant robot.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was "use parasites to kill everyone who speaks English, and then because nobody shares a common language any more, I'll rule the world with my giant robot, and something about nuclear weapons being the new lingua franca". It was a stretch.

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

"The only hope of communication will be interpretive dance battles" - Skullface, probably.

Careful now, Konami are the people behind Dance Dance Revolution, you'll give them ideas.

12 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

If I remember correctly, he was a survivor of a massacre in his village that he blames America for, embezzled funds from FOX to fund bioweapons, stumbled across the vocal cord parasites and got infected with them and because of it can go longer speak his native language (which I think was Hungarian?), and he's going to get his revenge by using the vocal cord parasites to kill everyone who speaks English. Then after that something something giant robot.

I think another part of it was that Zero was initially going to use the parasites to kill off everyone who didn't speak English or something of the sort to unite the world.

As convuluted as the whole mess is - I'm midly impressed that they came up with the parasites to replace nanomachines.

21 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

If you've already got a giant death robot that fires nuclear missiles, do you really need to invest in a magic parasite programme of linguistic snobbery?

Well, in the MGS-verse you need a Plan B as there's always a genetically enhanced super soldier capable of singlehandedly disabling giant death robots that fire nuclear missiles.

Edited by OctoberRavenO
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Well, in the MSG-verse you need a Plan B as there's always a genetically enhanced super soldier capable of singlehandedly disabling giant death robots that fire nuclear missiles.

The tastiness of it makes the ridiculousness easier to digest.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I have never played a Monster Hunter game but World seems very tempting.  How will I know if its the kind of game I will enjoy?

ACG had a good review about it. 

He rates it a buy due to the depth/length/loot etc. of the game, but he does add that it is MMO-ey and repetitive very much like a Diablo, so if you don't like those kinds of mechanics (back-tracking, grinding, etc.) then it might not be a game for you. 

Go to 14:00 for his final thoughts and 'rating'.

Edited by Jasonmufc

This is going to be a Monster Hunter game built for people who have never played one before - usually story in the older ones boiled down to 'hey, there's a big monster - kill small monsters so you can get better gear to kill bigger monsters and then you can eventually kill the world destroying monster' which is about as much story as they needed really - it's not the focus of these games. This one is supposed to have something more that goes on for longer however.

Plus you have a cat that hunts with you. So there's that.