General Gaming Thread

TKz

I opted for Monster Hunter World over Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - I decided I'd buy whichever was cheaper, they were both the same price, so I mentally flipped a coin.

As expected, it's slow starting, though not nearly as much so as the Wii version was. Can definitely see it having a typically steep learning curve. It's not dissimilar to Xenoblade in that I'm spending half my time wandering around places I've already been, gathering materials and not really knowing why.

It's definitely more accessible than other games in the series, though not without it's complexities. Biggest pet peeve is that, while practically everything you do early on warrants a "tutorial" (actually just a dialogue box briefly explaining how something works), there's still a bunch of stuff unexplained - like, you meet a guy with a fishing rod who challenges you to catch a specific fish. Unless I'm getting ahead of myself and the tutorial for this comes later, the game never explains to you that you already have a fishing rod, how to equip it, or how to use it. Same goes for capturing Monsters - a couple of people have mentioned the benefits of capturing rather than killing monsters, and I have one sub-quest asking me to do that, but no one's explained to me how to actually do it, so I'm left randomly figuring bits out on my own.

Yeah, I'm not keen on the online aspect - I've not done anything online yet, but I'm not an online gamer at all, so if there's a point when I give up on it, that will likely be it.

Wait - what can't you do without being online? I'm well into the post game without playing online once.

And @Skummy - capturing is actually pretty easy to do. When you take a capture mission you'll have EZ Shock Traps and EZ Tranq Bombs in the quest box. Once you get the monster limping and they go to sleep in their den, put the shock trap down and once they're caught in it - throw two tranq bombs on them and that'll usually be enough.

I think it tells you that kind of information once you actually go into the mission instead of before it.

Ahh, okay, cool. I'd figured out using the capture net to get smaller monsters, but hadn't got anywhere near capturing a big one - but I've got a couple of bounties to catch things. That sounds simple enough, though.

For online stuff, there seem to be separate online quests, and I've been warned a few times about needing back-up to take on some of the harder, larger monsters. So is it doable without?

There are Arena Quests which are for 2 people but you can still do them alone - they're very post game I think though, really - as they reward based on time taken to complete.

I've been told about getting backup but I never really needed it. The last few story missions are hard but doable - AND the SOS alert exists which just basically serves as a way to get help without needing to coordinate with other people too much.

In fact playing with other people ups the monsters health anyways, so it all scales.

I really didn't want to get into the online bit of MH:W either, but it's surprisingly ok - and I think that's because it's drop-in/drop-out, and communication is as limited as you want it to be. 

But honestly, I've just got past the first major "bit" and I'm hooked. I've never played a game with a more dynamic combat environment ever.

Really enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn. There's so much to do, and even the side missions/quests are quite long.

The golden fast travel pack is a godsend. Especially when you finish an objective but it asks you to return to the guy who sent you before rewarding you with your XP/items. I actually had a Bandit Camp I'd cleared out the other day, but hadn't collected the XP because I didn't go to speak to someone afterwards. That's probably the only downside to the game I can think of.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Can someone suggest some "choose your adventure" sort of games that are short (like, an hour or two) and you can have significantly different outcomes. Something other than Stanley Parable, mind :P

The Deed (which can be done in about 10 minutes) and Orwell (about 3 hours) come to mind.

• Thanks 1

Ahh crap, I didn't consider  having to buy skins because the last Arkham game I bought was a bundle with them. No Batman Beyond for me because I'm not buying another 20 dollar PSN card to add 97 cent to my wallet. I guess I'll just use DoJ or Noel Batman.