General Gaming Thread

TKz

49 minutes ago, Benji said:

I'd contemplate getting the latest UFC game off of how much I am enjoying this, but then I read it has micro-transactions and I can't be arsed with that crap for a game I'm not going to be that strongly into.

The micro transactions are only in one mode of the game, Ultimate Team. You basically select a stable of fighters and do offline or online fights. It's career mode without all the fancy add-ons, I suppose.

Started Shadow of the Colossus last night. Legitimately one of my favourite games of all time and god damn, it looks beautiful on PS4.

Also @Benji the microtranactions on new UFC games are only in Ultimate Team, and even then they're not essential. I got the platinum in UFC 2 fairly easily without ever spending a penny.

• Sad 1

I loved Ufc Undisputed 3 to bits. It was just right in terms of arcade and simmy fighting. Just like Fight Night 3 before.

I loved the Pride mode in it, complete with its insane shenanigans like long rounds, soccer kicks, and knee strikes.

Another game i liked was EA MMA, which is basically the precursor to the current ufc franchise... It wasn't as good as undisputed in terms of snappy actiony fighting, but i loved that you had to build yourself in the career mode to reach the top promotion.

You'd go from fighting in a basement promotion to going to thailand, japan, britain, and eventually reaching Strikeforce.

The best part of those smaller orgs was that rules were slightly different, and they advantaged certain styles of fighting.

As a whole I've always been enamored with sports titles that have you start out grass roots.

I miss that in the modern ufc franchise, where after 4 wins you reach the ufc, and you'll be part of it for the next 40+ fights, even if you're utter shit.

I'd like there to be more ladder segments in the game, like throw in Pride/WEC/Strikeforce in there to make your name in before you get to the big ticket.

Also now im reminded of Day of Reckoning, where you started on Velocity or Heat and had to prove yourself. That was fun too!

7 hours ago, Ollie said:

Started Shadow of the Colossus last night. Legitimately one of my favourite games of all time and god damn, it looks beautiful on PS4.

Also @Benji the microtranactions on new UFC games are only in Ultimate Team, and even then they're not essential. I got the platinum in UFC 2 fairly easily without ever spending a penny.

I started SoC the other night, first time ever playing the game. The controls are taking some getting used to...but damn, is the game pretty. 

2 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I started SoC the other night, first time ever playing the game. The controls are taking some getting used to...but damn, is the game pretty. 

It's a shitty excuse but the camera/controls are a bit obtuse on purpose, when you get used to them though, ho boy. It's one of the games I used to play on repeat when I had a PS2, and I've no doubt I'll play it a handful of times now that it's on PS4.

Girlfriend and I have being beating 1 Colossus a night since we picked up the game - enjoying the ramp up in difficulty every evening.

And finding out you could grab onto birds/fish as well since I never knew that was a thing before. Also the geckos, I probably played that whole game before without knowing about them.

Hopefully I’m in the right thread.

I’ve started to save a bit of money in hopes of eventually buying a current generation console. I’ve been watching Let’s Plays and such for several years, but haven’t actually had my own system since the days of PS2/XBox/GameCube. So I’m looking for advice on what to get.

My present thinking is an XBox One X, with as much storage as I can get. The games I would presently be most interested in are GTA V, Minecraft, the Jackbox stuff, and PUBG. I’d also like for this system to last me a few years. I’m a casual gamer, so I likely wouldn’t buy that many games in a year. Likely one or two at most.

Am I on the right track here? What else should I consider?

1 hour ago, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

I’ve started to save a bit of money in hopes of eventually buying a current generation console. I’ve been watching Let’s Plays and such for several years, but haven’t actually had my own system since the days of PS2/XBox/GameCube. So I’m looking for advice on what to get.

My present thinking is an XBox One X, with as much storage as I can get. The games I would presently be most interested in are GTA V, Minecraft, the Jackbox stuff, and PUBG. I’d also like for this system to last me a few years. I’m a casual gamer, so I likely wouldn’t buy that many games in a year. Likely one or two at most.

I would just go with the Xbox One...unless you have a 4K TV. The One X is more for the high def gaming which would be great for GTA, but Minecraft/Jackbox/PUBG wouldn't really make good use of it. Storage shouldn't be that big of a worry, because you can delete/re-install games as you need, and I believe it doesn't affect your save data.

Don't pay more if it ends up JUST being for a bigger harddrive because yeah, you probably won't need it for a while, if you do it means you probably have more games than you are actually playing at the moment so you can reinstall later and if you ever do just want to have everything ready at your fingertips, you can just buy a USB drive somewhere down the line and use that for extra storage - since you'll probably fill up a 500GB and 1TB and need something extra anyways if you're like me at one point. :P

2 hours ago, Benji said:

UFC 09 (again). Training Camps suck. Rest of the game? No worries. But two minutes to do minimum of five tasks, whilst my partner grapples me to the floor over and over ruining my momentum in that limited period of time? Awful.

I remember those tyre flip drills being the death of me.

Thanks for the help ya’ll! Couple of other stray questions.

How important is voice chat, especially considering I’ll want to play GTA V and PUBG? Should I get separate hardware for that?

And I assume I should get XBox Live Gold, right?

6 hours ago, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

How important is voice chat, especially considering I’ll want to play GTA V and PUBG? Should I get separate hardware for that?

If you wanna play online, then you need Gold. Voice chat is nice, albeit less needed.

11 hours ago, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

Add me on xbox if you get PUBG. I've only played the solo mode at the moment as I don't fancy teaming up with a complete stranger. I have a mic.

baddar88

For all the bugs and stuff that are sure to be patched for Kingdom Come - I am having a great time and thankfully haven't run into a single one yet. Everything about the game feels so damn unique in a genre where I thought that idea was dead - it really takes the first person open world RPG in a new direction because due to the fighting system and the reputation system, you can't really just jump in and be the hero of the ages like Skyrim or Witcher because you ARE just a peasant with a sword and that is the funnest thing about the whole thing.

The opening parts of the game and all the cut scenes are really well written too, feels like you're watching a movie.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2018 at 14:25, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

Since you want it to last a while, I actually would say that yeah, you should consider getting the One X. XBox's mentality towards consoles seems to be heading towards the iPhone model where there might not be a big revolutionary new system per se but updates/improvements on previous ones, and if that's the case then I could see them eventually making games that are compatible for the One X and whatever the next one is and maybe not just the One or even the One S (which is what I'd say you should go for if not the X, you'll get plenty of solid deals on that).

also I too have PUBG and just haven't played it at all/even installed it yet, so I'd probably try it out if I had people to play it with. I'm hot garbage at shooters, though.