Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

I don't know the books but apparently the mod starts some 16 years in the past, so maybe that's it?

I believe I spotted an 8 year old Tyrion whilst pottering around the map.

So at the start she'd JUST about be born/mother heavily preggers. Mind you, ma's name isn't Meera, mods just a cheep cash in :shifty:

Really want to get a good run playing as King Harold II of England but obviously that requires beating William from the off (the Norse are a piece of piss). Anyone got any good tips to help me send The Bastard packing?

I like that CK2 is EWB's game of choice now.

Anyway, started a game as BULGARIA. Oh yes. My first move was to steal a bit of Serbia. Which I did. Secondly one of my vassals was ruling over a nice little place in my realm.. but for some reason I didn't have the Duchy title of it. The Serbs did. So I usurped that when I could and granted myself the title.

My two main vassals are my brother and his son. My nephew declared a Holy War on some guy who owned the 4 lands directly above us, his father obviously joined the cause. I couldn't let that happen, so I quickly did the same and raised my entire army and charged in. The war was incredibly one sided, but it took a few years for me to get the win, but I did. I've already pretty much doubled my realm size which is fantastic. I have the Byzantines at my back door, which is a worry. I was almost tempted to swear Fealty..

So I'm going to finish up taking Serbia through false claims hopefully. Then.. I dunno. Sit in my nicely sized realm and build up a thriving Kingdom, while hoping Byza doesn't smash me.

Just asking one last time, I won't spam the thread with requests for help - anyone willing to coach me a bit on this game? I've been reading the wikia and making some progress, just would like a little more understanding as I feel a little in over my head.

My god i'm going to blow the board up with questions.

Okay, well i'm still trying to even work out the vassal chain.

Emperor > King > Duke > Count > ?

I think Count is as low as you can play, but can you subdivide your land and assign it down beyond Count? For some reason I'm thinking of Barons, but I don't know if that's another word for an already existing rank.

I'm seeing people with the title of Earl. What does that mean? Does that fit somewhere in the chain, or is that analogous to another rank?

I wanted to play a lower ranked person to dip my toe in, but on the character select map, it seems like the game gets harder the lower your rank is. Should I go straight to King to get used to the game?

What are the 3-5 actions I should look to take immediately, or the 3-5 things I should look to take care of immediately? Like, is appointing the best council something I should do right away, or should I do that piecemeal so as not to accumulate high-ranking people who are mad at me right off the bat?

My god i'm going to blow the board up with questions.

Okay, well i'm still trying to even work out the vassal chain.

Emperor > King > Duke > Count > ?

I think Count is as low as you can play, but can you subdivide your land and assign it down beyond Count? For some reason I'm thinking of Barons, but I don't know if that's another word for an already existing rank.

I'm seeing people with the title of Earl. What does that mean? Does that fit somewhere in the chain, or is that analogous to another rank?

I wanted to play a lower ranked person to dip my toe in, but on the character select map, it seems like the game gets harder the lower your rank is. Should I go straight to King to get used to the game?

What are the 3-5 actions I should look to take immediately, or the 3-5 things I should look to take care of immediately? Like, is appointing the best council something I should do right away, or should I do that piecemeal so as not to accumulate high-ranking people who are mad at me right off the bat?

Emperor > King > Duke > Count > Baron

You can appoint barons but you cannot play as them. They exist within your provinces.

Earl = Count. Count is a French term. The likes of Saxons, Scots and Irish used Earl instead.

Generally the most enjoyable level to play at is Duke because you get events concerning your vassal and your liege, and there's far more plots to get involved in. Basically you get to do more as Duke, so that's a good place to start.

You should always get the best council possible! Normally if you just act on the icons at the top of the screen you'll be fine to start the game. The rest is just about tuning it to your preferences really. Like for instance I tend to move crown authority up to low if possible.

These are laws you can pass if you are a King to restrict (or increase) the independence of your vassals! For instance, at the lowest setting your vassals can do whatever they bloody like; at low you can take titles off of them; at medium they cannot go to war with each other anymore; at high their titles cannot be inherited outside the realm and so on!

It has other affects too though. For example, the higher the crown authority, the higher chance your vassals will resent you for being a boring old spoilsport!

Oh but you also need the vassals to vote for these lawa if you change them.

So I'm currently the King of Belgium. So getting them to High would be beneficial for me? But when I'm a vassal I want them lower? Didn't know the war/titles bits, thanks.

Also, Council roles. What are the best things to get them to do, and is there a quicker way to fabricate/get claims on lands?

I have just discovered that my son plots to kill my nephew. My son is an average Marshall (12 skill) and my nephew is a substandard Chancellor.

If there was some way I could make my wife the Chancellor, I'd do it as she is skill 20. Can I encourage such a plot somehow? I need to click around a bit I think.

EDIT: My god, i'm 55 and my wife is 22. I'm a bangin' dude!

Yeah, high authority is usually best for a king, provided you can deal with the hit to vassal relations. So it's probably best to say high is good for a strong, popular king and low for a weak, unpopular king And low for a vassal, unless you are a weak vassal that someone else could pick on. It all depends really. Sometimes when I'm a king I quite like to have low authority to have vassals go to war against each other. Means I have a good reason to throw most of them in prison if they start annoying me.

For council, what you have them do again just depends on your goals. As far as I'm aware the only way to make things go faster, aside from events, is just to have better people doing the job. About the only thing you must avoid is having someone who dislikes you employed as spymaster, as he might plot against you or not bother telling you about other people's plots!