Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

So I've never played this game but I was thinking of checking it out.

Would it be more beneficial to spend $28.89 on the game and the 4 expansions or $139.79 on the game and basically 63 different things which includes those things but also face pack stuff. Is it worth spending the money on all that extra shit or would the game and the expansions be enough?

21 hours ago, Mick said:

Diezxc6.jpg

Back in my day, marriage was about usurping a title by wedding widows and murdering her kin through her first marriage*. And that's how it should be.

*= And in some cases having a loyal councilor/guardian with good stats

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Forever Forky said:

Would it be more beneficial to spend $28.89 on the game and the 4 expansions or $139.79 on the game and basically 63 different things which includes those things but also face pack stuff. Is it worth spending the money on all that extra shit or would the game and the expansions be enough?

Which expansions? 

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Just get the basic game first. I love it but some people that I've suggested it to have found it too complex. It's not a game for everyone. 

Wait, I just thought of something. Are you calling me dumb? I swear to god I will stop eating this glue and smack you down! :angry::P

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Forever Forky said:

Wait, I just thought of something. Are you calling me dumb? I swear to god I will stop eating this glue and smack you down! :angry::P

The fact that it took you that long to figure out what I was doing should be answer enough. :shifty:

For real though, I've suggested it to three gamer friends, none of which I would say are dumb. But one guy was use to Age of Empires and Civ, and just couldn't get into it. Another guy said he played it for like six hours the first day and never went back to it. The third person loved it though, so hey!

In my defense, I was working and only thought of it when I was thinking about the fact that I was 3 minutes away from getting to go home and download the game :P

But I'm a lot like that with a lot of games to be honest. There just isn't enough time in the day. I just want a game to finally immerse me and draw me in, which this looked like it might do. Of course I'm the guy who has WOW as I mentioned, OOTP 17, EHM all right there and only turn them on about once every 6 months. I always tell myself "This time it'll be different" and it never is.

You sound exactly like me. But CK2 is a bit different for me. I may play it three times in a month, but it's three straight days and several hours at a time. It's one of the few games out of the 110 or so in my Steam library that gets played somewhat regularly. It really is great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forever Forky said:

Base game first....but I'd personally wait to learn how to actually play it until after Jade Dragon and the 2.8 patch that'll be released then. Each time there's a new expansion, a patch comes along that adds a few features from the expansion to those who don't have it.

34 minutes ago, Forever Forky said:

What is the best way to learn how to play it? Reading up on it? Trial and error? From what I can see, it does have a huge learning curve but I'm definitely intrigued.

Well, I learned by basically just playing the Game of Thrones mod, and figuring out. There is a tutorial, as well as the suggestion to start as the Count of Dublin in the default bookmark. I highly advise making use of the CK2 wiki to explain concepts such as claims, spying, factions, etc. 

• Like 1

I played for a half hour or so and Meacon's implication that I may be dumb (I know he wasn't really implying that...I hope :() may very well be true. I don't know what half of these words mean. :( 

I'm determined to learn though just to prove that I can. Which probably won't turn out very well.

• Like 2

• Combination of reading up the CK2 Wiki and winging it.
  • Took me (someone who didn't get strategy games until this game) roughly 30-some hours to be alright at it. 350+ hours of gametime in, still make dumb dumb mistakes.
  • Basically, just keep plugging at it.

Now, ideal start? Mick has the Count of Dublin, I went with the Duke of Munster. Two counties off the bat, claim on a third. Four more counties under your control and you can crown yourself King of Ireland.

Poland in the same bookmark is a good next step. Easier to learn the intricacies of holy wars and defensive pacts.

• Like 1

Keep in mind if you do enjoy this, that the expansions are frequently on sale; those are generally what you want vs little extras like face packs. 

In terms of importance, I'd say Legacy of Rome, Sons of Abraham and Way of Life are essential. Most of them are pretty good, to be honest, but a lot of folks don't care for Conclave. Sunset Invasion is the only one I don't play with, since this may be an alternate history, but not alternate enough to deal with that mess :shifty: . Ruler Designer is pretty nifty if you want to do a custom character, and the Cuztomization Pack gives you a few new features for your dynasty, such as a barber shop so you don't look stupid, the ability to control how your non-child descendants are named (asuming they're at court), the ability to form cadet branches from your bastards....

But yeah, best advice I can give is to just play and learn. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Pres. DT BIGHANDS said:

...They should let you keep him and make him a council member like with Glitterhoof.

• Like 1