Board Game thread

13 hours ago, K said:

I lost all the games we scheduled that day.

But today I played against my sister and her partner and I won.

Longest Road, Biggest Army, 1 VP, one city, three settlements. shove it everyone else.

I became super serious about Catan and read a strategy guide and everything. It ruins the game with casuals (aka you will be great), but it is great if you want to win. 

Example - hay is the most important resource followed by ore and wood. I sometimes play and only have access to these resources and win.

Example 2 - if someone wants to make a trade, you are neutral on said trade but another opponent wants to make the trade, you make the trade. Your best case scenario is no one trades as no one benefits. But if a trade happens and you are not part of it, two people benefit. It could just be one if you make the trade.

Example 3 - when you roll the 7 early in the game, place the robber on the player who just went and them alone. If you block a lot of people, they want revenge. Blocking the player who last went gives you the longest time from revenge. 

Example 4 - Roads can be a trap. They are somewhat useful, but longest road is not. Roads are visual in the game. People are scared by them because they seem more important. Focus on cities. 

• Like 1

Thanks to this thread for making me aware what it was i stumbled on a bargin today getting Dropmix & the pop playlist pack at my local game store for £22. Coincidentally my step daughter is having friends over tonight for games and pizza i think it'll go down a treat.

Here is the mix they ended up with

https://share.dropmix.com/zd8MsTNovqu1Krn6gVsUSVwd1wuqElRN9LRUOmtJetw

Edited by theshadow

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first Catan victory without any Victory Point cards today. I usually go for a ore/wheat/sheep heavy strat, upgrading  my two base towns, getting the biggest army, a few VP cards and a couple random points here and there, but today I went with a Wood and Brick heavy strategy and it was great. I had a long winding road trapping my two opponents in one corner, leaving me free to spread out. It was great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2018 at 15:40, JeReindeer said:

Maybe It's Poison got funded! Looking forward to that arriving later this year.

Definitely going to look for Codenames, I'm at a hobby shop later so I'll see if they've got it.

Random question but does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced copy of Shadow Hunters?

This finally arrived! Looking forward to playing it, hoping my family are around on Sunday to give it a go.

I've got the original Himalaya which is great (and very hard to get now). I don't think the retheme does it any favours but I've heard it's mostly the same game so weeeeelllll worth a tenner.

Works often has a few "proper" ganes floating around and has probably had half a dozen legit decent ones over the last few years.

Found a nice little bonus in a bag as I was trying to find some manga I'd not got round to reading yet. Turns out I picked up Boss Monster for a tenner a little while ago and had completely forgotten about it. Decent enough for a quick game to play and seemed to go down well. Can see it being added to the list of little options for waiting for people to turn up for other games and during smoke breaks during RPG sessions.

2 minutes ago, JeReindeer said:

I've been looking at Boss Monster as an option for a while, how does it actually play?

I have had it and the 5 player expansion a few months but only really played it twice. Takes a bit of time to explain but once you get going it's good, lots of trying to screw over other players.

Can see what you mean about explaining and picking up but I think once we picked up the basics and once we got into the rhythm of counting up the treasures to see where the heroes were raiding it all started to move quite quickly. Granted I suspect mistakes were made at points and I doubt we were making the "best" moves but it seemed to go quite nicely. I don't know how much it'll pop into rotation around other stuff (especially as we've started refining our own fantasy football tabletop game evolving from the "Futbowel" rules) but I think it'll work well for a quick blast around other things. We'll see if anyone suggests a game of Boss Monster any time soon after our initial forays to see how much we'll play going forward but think that people enjoyed the couple of games we played.

7 hours ago, michgcs said:

So it might be a silly question, but for the parents who still play board games... how do you do it? We've got a kid (1 and a half) and is it just a matter of waiting for him to get older?

Either play when they're in bed or wait until they get older.

We play games like Betrayal, Game of Thrones, Munchkin, Catan, and several others when the girls are in bed. When they're awake, we play Clue, Monopoly Jr., Uno, quicker/simpler things like that. But my girls are four and eight. So it's a mixture of both for you. A one and a half, there's not much they can really play. In another year or two, you should be able to play at least some things board game wise with them. 

• Like 2

If your kids are old enough (like 7+), you can always play simpler board games (Survive, Love Letter) OR play more complicated board games on teams. Years ago, we would play Catan with my brother and sister-in-law and my niece and nephew would pick to play with one of the adults. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, michgcs said:

So it might be a silly question, but for the parents who still play board games... how do you do it? We've got a kid (1 and a half) and is it just a matter of waiting for him to get older?

When they are a bit older, then try Labyrinth. There are rules for kids and rules for adults.