Board Game thread

Firefly seems to take forever and while its easy to understand its not so easy to carry out. That's according to EWBs best wife, who's played it a few times.

I'm still all about zombiecide, and am hoping another of you plays it to help share the awesome. Its just great co op fun.

Which one?

1980?

pic158559_md.jpg

2002?

pic354953_md.jpg

2010?

pic798666_md.jpg

I've played the oldest one and the newest one. In fact I own the oldest one. Played the newest one twice.

The oldest one is a classic. It's what the videogame is BASED on. It's 6 hours +, quite abstract but is an epic game. Very good.

2002 was a disappointment in the board game world. It had lovely miniatures (and lots of them) but was a bit rubbish.

2010 is a good game. It's very much Civ: The video game: The board game. If you like the computer game then you'll enjoy it. Simple as that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this game in trade:

pic801506.jpg

It's a card game set in post-apocalyptic USA. You discover different places and can attack them for a one-off bounty of goods, or you can make an alliance with the card for continued trading, or you can take it over and make it part of your group. You can then upgrade the buildings and places you have. There are also leaders and such that you can bring into your faction. You can replace leaders but you need to kill your current leader to replace them.

It's supposed to be pretty cool so I'm looking forward to it. The game is designed by the guy who designed two games I really rate from the last few years (Pret a Porter - the fashion design game...and Robinson Crusoe which I got last year and adore).

The art for this one is good too.

pic887747_md.jpgpic887746_md.jpg

We have a boardgame cafe in Perth that long story short, I have never been to as it is associated with people from my ex's Church, anyway, they are having a Settler's of Catan tournament, and fuck yeah I am good at that! Debating whether to enter or not.

Played Settlers of Catan for the first time the other day - really enjoyed it! I might have to invest in the Star Trek flavoured varient.

Also played Cards Against Humanity - such a wrong game, haha. Not one you could play in all company, but fun for what it is.

The best and friendliest board game convention of the year in the UK is taking place in Stoke-on-Trent on the 9th and 10th August.

http://www.shiregames.com/tcad/

My wife and I shall be at The Cast Are Dice. If you have nothing to do that weekend then there are worse ways to spend £15 for the weekend or less for a day.

Hammy, on average, how much would you say it costs you to make a board game?

MAKING a board game costs less than what I would sell it for. More per copy than getting one mass produced though. I'm looking at a card game at the minute, not many cards. Each copy would probably cost about a fiver to make.

However if you add in all the design, development, art time etc then I'll probably make back about 10p an hour or something ridiculous. Definitely not for getting rich, but a fun hobby and it feels amazing when someone plays and enjoys your game.

• Like 2

And relatedly, given that I know a ton of board gamers, I'm curious about getting one or two of you and seeing how people react to it. Are you still actively selling them and what have you got?

I'll have a look around at what I've got since my move back from Japan. :(Y):

Here's a list of what I've done:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/7017/luke-morris

• Like 1

Catan is a blast. I don't think that gets old, if you continue playing it with other people who have played it a bunch. Taking advantage of newbies does get kind of tiring.

I still have the Lord of the Rings co-op game by Fantasy Flight on my shelf. Haven't gotten around to it, but when I do I'll report back.