Board Game thread

I just came in here to say I got into Catan last year and love playing it.

I also came in here to ask if anyone knows of any good co-op games? Pandemic and...er...Treasure Island? were quite fun.

I've got Robinson Crusoe and it's fantastic.

pic1500145_md.jpg

Other co-operative games that people seem to swear by are:

Mage Knight

pic1189467_md.jpg

Battlestar Galactica

pic387620_md.jpg

Space Alert

pic384545_md.jpg

Mice and Mystics

pic1398463_md.jpg

Also Ghost Stories, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Shadows Over Camelot...

People also rate Defenders of the Realm (a bit of a rethemed Pandemic game based in a fantasy world), Arkham Horror, Zombicide...

Here ya go: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2023/co-operative-play

Mage Knight is awesome, though it takes a while to get the hang of. Robinson Crusoe and Ghost Stories both fall into the category of 'fun but ridiculously difficult' for me. And Space Alert is super fun in a hectic, frenetic way.

Shadows Over Camelot is very good. First time set up takes a little while, and it isn't a short game, but it isn't difficult to follow either.

Mage Knight is very well designed... and takes a fricking age to set-up/learn/play.

I've been the Lannisters three times (even though we randomize it every time).

I lost the first time because the Tyrells and I agreed not to attack one another. I ended up in a battle with the Baratheons and the Greyjous. I acted pretty much as a blockade and the Tyrells ended up storming Dorne and winning the game.

The second time I held basically built up armies until and then made a deal with the Starks to take out the Greyjoys, which I didn't end up keeping. This allowed me to take the Tyrell castles as well as the most poorly defended Baratheon one.

Third time I got teamed up on by the Tyrells and the Greyjoys early on and couldn't end up spin much all game. By the time I got myself into a decent position, the Starks had swooped into Tyrell land and won.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I started my "SUMMER OF A HUNDRED GAMES". According to my records n BoardGameGeek, the most games I've played in a month is 66 back in 2006. This month I aim to play 100! Not all different games, although I could. It's gonna be tough but I could do it.

1st August

1x Ace of Spies with the mrs.

A card collection game with a spies theme that is, what we would call, "pasted on".

pic1684071_md.jpg

1x Lord of the RIngs: The Card Game with myself

A very well integrated game theme with the mechanism. Works well solo.

pic862634.jpg

2x Roll Through the Ages (Yahtzee with a civilisation theme), 1x Thurn and Taxis (great game with weak theme), 1x Downfall of Pompeii (throw people's pieces into a volcano!) against online opponents on yucata.de

That's 6/100 so far.

• Like 3

I just found out on my Facebook feed about a game that ties together two games that people here seem to enjoy, so it's probably EWB Boardgame News-worthy.

pic2068204_md.jpg

Pandemic + Risk Legacy.

Colour me interested!

Is it Pandemic, but with the re-writability of Legacy?

So, how long before EWB does X-Com with the board game? I'd sort of toyed with the concept of doing something with a campaign map and then games of Space Hulk for the missions so will be interesting to see how this plays, save the effort of coming up with the full system myself. Especially like the app concept.

I watched a demo video of it from Gencon. The app leads you through the game basically. Depending on the number of players one guy will be heading up science, another the military team itself, another all the world map stuff and another will be relaying all the information from the app with the overall picture. Could be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently picked up Dungeonquest (3rd edition) and Blood Bowl Team Manager on the cheap from someone at our local wargaming club. Dragonquest is good but incredibly harsh which makes learning the game quite hard. Loads of cards and extra things so takes ages to get ready but as played more I expect that will get easier to set up. First run through with the wife, I got lucky after falling off a bridge and working through the catacombs to the dragons room, before walking straight into a dead end and having to go back through, which after pushing my luck with 4 turns of looting meant I was doomed. Missus, only got through three rooms before starving to death, one dead end, back through tower gate, into a revolving room which revolved and headed into another dead end... Not played since, took so long to get everything ready want more room and lots of time so we can play several times.

BBTM was easier to get into and we picked that up pretty quickly, game play mechanics are really easy and while I can see having to learn a different play style for every team anyone can play and be competitive if they use their cards effectively. Played quite a bit since first time and really into it. Wife preferring this to regular Blood Bowl as she has more luck with cards than dice - although this has carried over and she doesn't like playing tackling based teams like Orcs too much.