Board Game thread

• 2 months later...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/130643118/emergents-genesisa-superhero-deckbuilding-game

This is a tabletop deckbuilding game that some friends of mine are making. I've jumped on board as a backer - and it seems we have no shortage of people who like board/card games, and no shortage of people who like superheroes, so it seems right up EWB's alley. It's a new hero universe created by my friend who has been in the comic book industry for about 20-30 years, he used to own Malibu Comics which produced the comic Men in Black that became the film series we all love with, so he's got the experience to do the genre justice. If you're interested, or looking for a new game to experience, take a peek :)

I am willing to bet that no individual on this planet has previously emerged from a board game shop with the pairing of:

a) Labyrinth: The War on Terror 2001 - ? (a similar game to Twilight Struggle)

and

b) Hey, that's my Fish!

But now one has. :shifty:

I traded to get Labyrinth. Read the rules to play it solo and got confused sadly. Seemed great though with all the terrorist cells and so on.

Hey! That's My Fish! is just brilliant.

My birthday/Christmas pressie from parents has been confirmed.

pic566684_md.jpg

It doesn't look much but....

pic2053743_md.jpg

It's basically a mixture of Dad's Army and Went The Day Well? where you control a bunch of old men, the local cricket team, pub regulars, post-mistress etc, move them around the town, arm them with different weapons and fight off highly trained German troops. All the while you need to move the local policeman around to try and work out who the German spy is. Proper rare too and usually £150+ if you can find it but I found a copy in France for half that. Whooop.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/606843645/freespace-tactics

A Kickstarter to fund a tabletop version of Freespace

That looks sick. I want that so much.

I'm REALLY looking forward to it. It plays a bit like an interactive story too as all the different townsfolk have different feelings towards the other townsfolk. So maybe you put two of them into a space together to hold the Germans off and they just have a big old argument instead.

Anyway the same guy designed a game about the Falklands War that is really highly rated too.

pic946631_md.jpg

Man, discussing Labyrinth with a friend at work is really dangerous for out-of-context eavesdropping.

"Yeah I've been reading up on that. So far I know how to recruit terrorists, how to transport them between countries, and how to conduct Minor and Major Jihad. The only thing left is how to plot terrorist attacks, so that's phase two I guess."

By the end of this week I'm definitely going to be on some kind of watch list.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got Ticket to Ride Marklin Edition (set in Germany) for Crimmus (mostly to get our household a "proper" Ticket to Ride for expansions, since we only had Nordic before). It's got licensed trains and passengers that can pick up points by travelling along a continuous route. It's actually a really neat addition to the game, and it's a really well-designed, striking looking game.

• 1 month later...

Wahey. My friend who owns a game shop kept aside a copy of the much-sought-after Dead of Winter for me. I sold a couple of games to get the money together for it and it's now sitting in a delivery box on my sofa waiting for when my daughter goes to bed. I'm rarely that hip with new releases. Supposed to be a brilliant co-op though based around survival (albeit in a zombie apocalypse which doesn't normally interest me).