Board Game thread

Some friends of mine played Dead of Winter at the weekend - it looked very good. One note though, missions seem to come in length descriptors (e.g. 'short', 'medium' and 'long'). They did a 'medium' one and it took well over 2 hours.

We then played Battlestar Galactica. I know it is quite old, but it was my first time playing and thought it was very good. The traitor mechanic allows for a massive amount of paranoia and adds quite a lot of (good) stress to the game.

We're not a million miles away from International Table Top Day (April 11th). Anyone got anything going off?

I played Dead of Winter for the first time last night - a "short" mission which took pretty much 2 hours with three players. Loved it though. Great game, mostly because it's one of the most un-zombie zombie games I've played or read about (I don't like zombie games). It's all about the survivors, making tough decisions and balancing working for the good of the group with completing your own personal secret agendas.

Some of the decisions we had to make last night:

Kill a helpless survivor who was infected OR treat him and risk outbreak in the camp (we killed him).

After finding a horse, deciding whether to keep it to ride around on, but have to feed it each time, OR kill it for food (we killed it).

Rescue an injured helicopter pilot OR leave her to die and take her supplies instead (he left her to die, the swine).

We went through a tiny percentage of the decisions deck of cards and most of them didn't trigger either, so the storytelling scope is HUGE.

I played Dead of Winter for the first time last night - a "short" mission which took pretty much 2 hours with three players. Loved it though. Great game, mostly because it's one of the most un-zombie zombie games I've played or read about (I don't like zombie games). It's all about the survivors, making tough decisions and balancing working for the good of the group with completing your own personal secret agendas.

Some of the decisions we had to make last night:

Kill a helpless survivor who was infected OR treat him and risk outbreak in the camp (we killed him).

After finding a horse, deciding whether to keep it to ride around on, but have to feed it each time, OR kill it for food (we killed it).

Rescue an injured helicopter pilot OR leave her to die and take her supplies instead (he left her to die, the swine).

We went through a tiny percentage of the decisions deck of cards and most of them didn't trigger either, so the storytelling scope is HUGE.

Yeah, I liked how - for the most part - you could replace the zombies with something else and it'd all still work.

I just bought Dead Of Winter as well. Excited to play it.

Anyone play Galaxy Trucker? I did this weekend, and thought it was awesome. Watching a meteor hit someone's ship in the perfect spot that made it fall apart was hilarious.

Thanks to expansions, I've got Smash Up up to 20 factions, the possibilities are now endless! I've still yet to be able to wrangle a group together to play Betrayal at House on the Hill though :(

Twilight Struggle anyone?

It's brilliant. You can play it online somewhere too. I'll try and remember where and we should get some EWB games set up as I know a few of us like it.

http://twistrug.jjt.io/#/ and http://www.wargameroom.com/ are the two main options I believe. Love TS, would definitely throw down with some EWBers.

And you bastard, I really want Dead of Winter but I left it until after Wheaton did it and it's like doubled in price when it's available at all :( Tempted to run it on EWB if I get the chance.

So I bought Diplomacy and I've got a tentative date set up for next month to play it with a group. How much time should I give myself to understand the rules? This seems extremmmmmmmmmmmmmmely complex.

Apparently a couple of the expansions really add to it too. One makes the Reavers a bigger presence in the game and another adds a new chunk of the board with new missions and so on.

I've never played it or even seen it set up so I don't really know much about it.