Board Game thread

For the people who've played Dead of Winter, is there lots of replay value in the game? I've been considering picking it up for a big board game weekend my family is going to having, but I want something that I'll be able to play after with some friends. Also, I figure after Diplomacy, the group of individuals could use a game where we all have to work together.

For the people who've played Dead of Winter, is there lots of replay value in the game? I've been considering picking it up for a big board game weekend my family is going to having, but I want something that I'll be able to play after with some friends. Also, I figure after Diplomacy, the group of individuals could use a game where we all have to work together.

Well there are ten different scenarios to play through, something like thirty different characters to play as, and a whole bunch of different objectives you can get.

I say as if I've played it.

Yeah I think there'll be plenty of replayability. The crossroads deck is huge and we barely scraped it in our play (with most of the cards we DID draw not actually coming into play so we didn't read beyond the first sentence). There are plenty of scenarios and loads of hidden agendas and winning conditions.

I think each game will feel a little different because you'll get different character combos and have different things you're trying to do each time. The odds of getting the same set-up twice would be pretty big.

Was it fun? I love the show, and I love board games, yet I've not tried it out yet. It keeps getting brought up every game night I have though as the next potential purchase.

Once we got a handle on how to play the game, yes, it was great. But until we did, it was a bit of a slog. Play with somebody who already understands the mechanics, or else it's going to take a while to get into it.

Just played Dead of Winter. It's good, but we only had 3 people. I think with 4 or 5, you would get more of the paranoia about potential traitors.

Still, the game was a blast. We just barely won.

Same, played Dead of Winter for the first time yesterday, also with three players. Would have liked to have a couple more, but a great game. We got slaughtered. <_<

Also it's sold me on Tabletop Simulator now, as that's what we played it on and it worked great.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played King Of New York for the first time tonight - took me a little while to get to grips with at first, but I definitely prefer it to King Of Tokyo, just far more interesting, and feels more like a game with an actual strategy rather than a bit chance-based. Still a few flaws, but a lot of fun with the right people.

• Admin

So in the past few weeks, been playing some board games with friends on a rotational "dinner party" basis.

Ticket To Ride is awesome

Dominion is great fun

Blood Bowl is tactically brilliant

Cards Against Humanity is genius.

• Like 6

Blood Bowl is one of the best games ever. Lots of thinking, planning and then you roll a whole host of ones and watch your opponent walk past your defence to score when your star player kills himself.

Recently played a couple of "new" games (to me) for the first time. First one was Guillotine which we all enjoyed, any game where you get the chance to chop off the heads of a) Frenchmen and b) toffs is always going to be popular. Each player is an executioner and they score points for the value of each head they collect, you've got various things you can do to by playing cards to screw up other people and give you an advantage so quick and easy as well being quite cheap to pick up I've since found out.

We also played a bit of Car Wars - the card game version. Not much to say on this one really. Good game where you use cards to try and blow up opposing cars by playing cards to do damage to different sections of cars and hit the drivers with a flamethrower to the face. I believe it's out of print now so probably going to be tricky to pick up but we enjoyed it.

Finally treated myself to Discworld - Ankh Morpork. Only played a couple of times as a two player version but really liking what we've played. Each player has a different winning objective depending on the personality card they're drawn out of seven (Vimes is in for the long game and wins if the card deck is empty, Chrysoprase is about making money, and so on) and you fight for control of Ankh Morpork using cards to try and build to your end goal. Having only played the two player version its not been as cut throat and scheming as I can see it being with four players all trying to guess what the objectives are, but seems really easy to pick up and get into with lots of little quirks from the cards you pick up to use to gain advantage full of little nods and references that book fans will get but don't think that non-readers will suffer from not understanding things like that, they're just a bonus for the fans to find as they run through the deck. Despite not being THAT useful in game 'er indoors has instantly taken a liking to "The New Firm" from The Truth for example despite never actually reading the book (yet...).

• 2 weeks later...

My brothers have came to stay over easter and due to it being my birthday. My older brother bought me Munchkin Deluxe for my birthday. So we played a couple of 3 player games of that super close both times but both games my younger brother screwed me out of winning a turn before my older brother could win with nobody able to stop him. Really fun though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I have to buy a joint gift for my brother and his wife. My brother wants something a bit more strategic, while his wife likes more social/party games. I'm trying to figure out something that works for both of them. I was thinking of the Resistance, but the thing that gets me is that it is 5-10 players. I was hoping to find something that 2-3 players could also play, but it is ideal with a group of 5.

Help!

At first I was thinking a game like Pandemic or X-Com or Zombicide, because it is strategic, but less intense because everyone is working on a team together. I think my sister-in-law would like it ,but I was hoping to find something that is more of a party atmosphere that could host more than 4 players.