Board Game thread

Anyone have any recommendations for smaller sized games that I can take on a plane or bus for two people? Five hour plane fight to and from Malaysia and several 1-3 hour bus trips means I want to keep pre-occupied!

I thin Love Letter is playable with two people. Never tried it, but it could be fun if you go like 6 or 7 rounds. 

Guillotine is also fun, and can be played by two people. 

I'll try to think of some others and get back to you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Love Letter really needs three or four.

On the other hand, Guillotine gets weaker as you fill up the player count - there's less strategy for a start and just dealing with what's presented to you.

Anyway the mrs and I are in Stoke at the weekend for The Cast Are Dice board fame convention. Hoping to try Imperial Settlers, Brew Crafters and ideally Tragedy Looper which is a current grail for me.

Convention Update:

Imperial Settlers is great. Lots of you would enjoy it.

11811513_10153777611354578_3005964281112

Brew Crafters was decent enough but we both agreed that we'd always choose Agricola over it if we wanted to play a "worker placement" game.

11695957_10153778081619578_3410293190373

Other games I played for the first time in order of how good they were:
1. Dark Moon (originally Battlestar Galactica dice game rethemed and properly released with a look that borrows heavily from Alien, therefore I love it)
2. Patchistory
3. Patchwork
4. The Game (working together to get rid of your cards)
5. Castle Dice
6. Machi Koro
7. Flip City

And just before I left someone in a Facebook group was selling Tragedy Looper for £20 so I went for it and it arrived today. SUCH EXCITEMENT!

pic2046290_md.png

One person plays the evil mastermind who is trying to complete a master plan involving someone killing someone else or committing suicide or something. The other players (protagonists) work together against him to try to prevent the evil plan. However at the start they have no idea what that plan is. If the mastermind completes his mission then the day loops back and the protagonists get to try and stop it again, armed with a little more information than the time before. Fail again and they loop back again with more information. They have a limited number of loops to try to stop the nefarious deed.

People have already produced rethemed cards for Persona and for Danganronpa. It also comes with ways for you to come up with your own missions, characters and such like. Very very very exciting. It's a Japanese game that got an English language release recently.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://geekandsundry.com/ten-rare-board-games-to-snap-up-the-second-you-can/

Dark Tower is one of these...umm..I'm looking at Dark Tower right now in my room

Both being games that can be hugely overplayed....like Munchkin. However people latch onto a game and always want to play it. Which can be annoying.

Yeah, and even with the expansion pack it doesn't feel like there's a lot of replayability, especially when you're playing with the same group. 

I think I need to buy a new game to get people excited, but everything is fucking crazy expensive now.

Betrayal At House On The Hill is fun if you've got 4-5 people. Hedbanz and Quelf are pretty fun too, but they're social party games more than anything.

• 3 months later...

Had a go at playing Solo Play rules for Twilight Struggle...and got 5 turns (/several hours) in before I had to give up from game fatigue. :shifty: 

It's semi-decent. Seems to have been balanced enough to prevent unwarranted blitzing one way or the other, though the limitations put in place for that make it really weird to play. For example, in most action rounds you are effectively limited to placing influence in one particular region (unless you want to spend double OP on everything). That region will change with each round (6 or 7 times per turn) and actual scoring only comes up once every three action rounds. So you find yourself being forced to dick about in Africa or South America before SURPRISE, MIDDLE EAST SCORING, and you have exactly one card with which to do anything about it.

• 2 weeks later...

More of a miniatures game than a board game but this seemed a good place to put this...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2052977442/rumbleslam

Essentially wrestling with a hint of Blood Bowl. At the moment it looks like it's built around a hybrid of Survivor Series and Royal Rumble for matches - two teams and eliminating by throwing out of the ring - but with lots of future expansions planned which will probably expand it to other things including a "campaign" where wrestlers gain experience. 

On 12/1/2015 at 19:46, stokeriño said:

Had a go at playing Solo Play rules for Twilight Struggle...and got 5 turns (/several hours) in before I had to give up from game fatigue. :shifty: 

It's semi-decent. Seems to have been balanced enough to prevent unwarranted blitzing one way or the other, though the limitations put in place for that make it really weird to play. For example, in most action rounds you are effectively limited to placing influence in one particular region (unless you want to spend double OP on everything). That region will change with each round (6 or 7 times per turn) and actual scoring only comes up once every three action rounds. So you find yourself being forced to dick about in Africa or South America before SURPRISE, MIDDLE EAST SCORING, and you have exactly one card with which to do anything about it.

Generally South America and Africa should be the last places you start to place into. Europe always needs working on with Asia getting a lot of early interest along with some middle east stuff too. I find that Africa tends to start purely from the puppet government / republic cards that allow you to place a few influence around the continent and that Central and South America start after that, but get quite busy in the late war.