Board Game thread

I've just moved in with two friends - one of which I already attended two different semi-regular games nights with. The third has started to tag along. I'm looking for some suggestions to add to my collection of board games. I already own 7 Wonders, Cash n Guns, Pokemon Kanto Monopoly (everyone has to own one copy of Monopoly amirite?) and Emergents: Genesis (the deckbuilding game I talked about ~2 years and 5 pages ago).

I'm looking at Betrayal at House on the Hill (did we play that on EWB in the last few years?). Anything else in particular I should look at? Anyone who says Munchkin will be shot.

I would suggest Catan, but I am going to assume you've heard of it and just don't own it out of personal preference. 

I really enjoy Zombicide. Really fun game where everyone is supposed to work together, but having divergent personalities can make it fun. 

The Coup is super fun. Easy to get to know, difficult to master. It's a very easy strategy/deception card game. 

For a silly "party game", I really enjoyed Funemployed. I detest Cards Against Humanity, because often times there is one way to play the game - aka, putting down the most depraved thing you can think of. Which is kind of silly when you have zero control over the cards and you can basically just horde terrible cards the entire game and never have to use them. Funemployed is great because each round, everyone is interviewing for a position (like teacher) and they have four trait cards that they must bring up during their one minute pitch for the position. You must use all four traits - you never have more than four traits in your hand. It is different than Cards Against Humanity because you are trying to take these negative and off-beat traits and trying to make them positive. I played it with a group of 5 and we all agreed it was the best "party card game". 

• Like 3

-Risk Legacy (It's like Risk...but you change the board for future playthroughs)

-Battlestar Galactica (Someone on the team is trying to sabotage the ship. Figure out who!)

-Quarriors (Cute little dice building game)

-Twilight Imperium (This is a biggie...like an 8-12 hour game. It's space battles and space diplomacy!)

-Dominion (Deck building game. You can also give it a try online to see if you like it)

-Mechs Vs Minions (You like LoL, and apparently it's getting a lot of good reviews)

-Descent (Another big game that can easily go 3+ hours....it's like D&D but with less story. And the DM is actively trying to kill you)

• Like 2

On 19/10/2016 at 20:29, RPS said:

I would suggest Catan, but I am going to assume you've heard of it and just don't own it out of personal preference. 

For a silly "party game", I really enjoyed Funemployed.

No preference against Catan, but have heard of it. I'll look into it.

Great call on Funemployed. Incidentally, the creator of Funemplyed teamed up with my friend Brian to make Emergents: Genesis.

I would say that Catan is the greatest "all-around" board game ever, because it takes a lot of the mechanics of the basic board games like Monopoly and makes them far more strategic and provides depth. It is the great kind of board game you can bring to a hardcore board game event or home to play with your family who don't want to learn something super complex. 

My only caution is that you can get very good at Catan and once you've figured out the strategies to playing, you will get bored playing the game in a more casual/fun setting. When I play games of Catan with my family, I just tend to play more casually/throw games because it can get very monotonous. I stupidly read an in-depth strategy guide on Catan and playing the game became very robotic after. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 07:34, Meacon said:

I bought Betrayal from Maxx and played it a few weeks ago. The friends loved it and it'll almost definitely become a regular in our rotation. So much fun exploring and the haunt just completely flips shit on its head. Good choice, @Plubby.

Glad someone got some use out of it.

I just bought the Oregon Trail card game,  I assume I will sell it to you in a few months when it goes unplayed.  <_<

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Played the Widow's Walk expansion of Betrayal at House on the Hill the other day. It's pretty good. It adds an extra floor to explore "Roof level", of which there are 20 extra room tiles you can draw out. There's an extra 50 haunts too. Unlike a lot of other games, the expansion doesn't stick out like a sore thumb - it genuinely feels like an "expansion" rather than an "add on". I've no idea how much the expansion costs (t'was a friend's copy), but I wouldn't be averse to paying 15-20 quid for it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got Tales of the Arabian Nights for Christmas. Just played our first game and really enjoyed it. Only downside I can see is that it takes up a fair whack of space, with all the status cards and skills tokens needing to be in their own piles (there are something like 30 different kinds of status - each needs it's own pile). But yeah, loved the theme. 

• Like 1

I have Arabian Nights. Loooove it, although I focus more on building an entertaining story than anything. I tend to try to "enter" or woo anyone I can.

11 hours ago, Toe said:

One key to Catan is getting the Seafarers expansion as well. This gives you more variety and makes the game less predictable. All the expansions are good, but Seafarers is pretty much essential, imho.

...While Cities and Knights makes it 3 times as long, 3 times as complicated and much more annoying in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I have Arabian Nights. Loooove it, although I focus more on building an entertaining story than anything. I tend to try to "enter" or woo anyone I can.

...While Cities and Knights makes it 3 times as long, 3 times as complicated and much more annoying in my opinion.

Yeah...I forgot about that one. It's not that great.

6 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I fucking hate Cities and Knights.

The Coup is suchhhhhhhhhh a great game. 

• Like 1

Had my first game of Robo Rally ever last night. It didn't go well.

On the darker side I played Star Wars Carcassone which is great. All the general shenanigans of the normal game but with people getting dangerously obsessed fighting over planets and asteroid belts. We had Yoda and Vader fighting it out over a fairly isolated belt which never got completed but still worth 28 points due to its constant expansions. The combat added a fun diversion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-06 at 13:52, lanky316 said:

Had my first game of Robo Rally ever last night. It didn't go well.

On the darker side I played Star Wars Carcassone which is great. All the general shenanigans of the normal game but with people getting dangerously obsessed fighting over planets and asteroid belts. We had Yoda and Vader fighting it out over a fairly isolated belt which never got completed but still worth 28 points due to its constant expansions. The combat added a fun diversion.

Robo Rally is fun - but sometimes that game takes FOREVER.