Board Game thread

• 7 months later...

It's been quiet in here.

This week is Essen Spiel, the biggest games fair in ze woooooorld. Loads of new games get released or demoed.

Since the rise of Kickstarter, which coincided with my bringing kiddies into the world, it's been hard for me to keep up with all the new releases when it comes to gaming. The increase in gaming options has become too huge to properly follow, particularly with a lack of time and money.

Also the recent move has been for what I can see to be relatively generic fighty/area control games with swanky, expensive plastic miniatutes.

On the plus side though I just managed to get a game called The Networks which is about running a TV network and choosing shows and stars for the prime time slots. That's more my thing.

I'd read decent things about The Networks, think it was in the latest issue of Tabletop Gaming. Let me know what it's like when you're through.

I've been mainly RPGing as far as traditional games go recently so not much time to play other board games.  Just the odd quick run through of Braggart when people pop out for a smoke break.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Very very happy with my Boardgamegeek Secret Santa present this year. Minimum spend is £30, I've done veeeery well with one of the top games off my wishlist. 😍😍😍

20171121_203034.jpg

Have you had a chance to play it? I had never heard of it, but the description sounds amazing. Definitely one I'll be looking out for.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, This Is APSHAM said:

I played Catan for the first time last night - I'm glad I took the time to finally figure it out, it was really fun!

It's not nearly as complicated as it seems. I've played a lot of Catan, and I've yet to get bored with it.

Anyone try Gloomhaven? A friend bought it, and it's huge. One of the biggest games I've seen. It's like Descent but with a little more depth. We only played the first scenario, but you're supposed to play it as a long campaign. 

Edited by Toe

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2018 at 11:54, Toe said:

It's not nearly as complicated as it seems. I've played a lot of Catan, and I've yet to get bored with it.

Anyone try Gloomhaven? A friend bought it, and it's huge. One of the biggest games I've seen. It's like Descent but with a little more depth. We only played the first scenario, but you're supposed to play it as a long campaign. 

I got bored of it after I read a detailed strategy guide. I play now casually and don't play so aggressively with family and friends because I win so often. It makes it more fun when you purposefully don't pick the most ideal placements.

I have an obsession  with table top games where I'll get super obsessed and become insanely good and just have to walk away. I had all the two letter words memorized for Scrabble and realized I was becoming obsessed.

Some friends and I have been organizing semi regular board game nights to intersperse into or D&D nights,  and some of the games have been spectacular. We've got this card game called Sushi Go that's a huge hit at the table, and a couple nights ago we tried out something called Forgotten Island, which is a little complicated but a huge amount of fun. Up to 6 player co-op where you're working to get all the treasures and get off the island. It's good fun.

There's a harder version called Forbidden Desert that we're gonna break out once we get more comfortable with the Island version. 

Apparently a third "Forbidden" title due soon as well I think I read, set around storms if I remember. Island is a regular time killer game at our nights around whatever else is going on and we love it. The variable board, luck of the draw and mix of characters gives it that little bit of variation each time you play. Not played Desert yet but it's on the wishlist. We recently introduced the daughter of one of our Blood Bowl coaches to Cataan and she's bringing along Sushi Go for "championship night" and since I went out in the semi finals she's looking to teach us that one. Heard good things so should be fun. Supposed to be fairly quick and easy so will probably bring along Ticket to Ride or Mangaka for a couple of other options to kill the evening while dodging flying block dice whenever people roll triple skulls.

Anyone around here played Monoliths Conan game? The Batman kickstarter is due soon and it's built on that template. Since it's Kickstarter exclusive on the fence about getting involved in that one.

• 1 month later...

Quick shout out to Boss Monster.  Incorporates some elements on Munchkin without necessarily allowing players to keep the game carrying on forever.  Pretty simple setup and process, but I'm intrigued to try some of the variants that are introduced in the expansion.

Plus, dat box art doe.

Finally made the call and ordered my own copy of Secret Hitler.  I'm ready for about six thousand more rounds of that one.

• Like 1