Board Game thread

17 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

Quick shout out to Boss Monster.  Incorporates some elements on Munchkin without necessarily allowing players to keep the game carrying on forever.  Pretty simple setup and process, but I'm intrigued to try some of the variants that are introduced in the expansion.

Plus, dat box art doe.

Finally made the call and ordered my own copy of Secret Hitler.  I'm ready for about six thousand more rounds of that one.

I have Boss Monster, and I find it a bit boring after a few play-throughs. The expansions might help with that, though. I find the base copy of Munchkin to be the same way, but with a few expansions it becomes really entertaining. 

I could see that happening with Boss Monster, as the expansion only adds a couple of tweaks to heroes initially ('starred' heroes have to be included regardless of player size and allow players to sacrifice certain types of rooms to give them extra power), so the rule variations may be where this game earns its long-term legs for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I play the Game Of Thrones LCG (massively competitively) and am going to UK Games Expo in two months, looking to get something that's good for an entry level board game/TTG that's co op?

My partner likes things we can do together and finds me really competitive when going head to head (she gave up on Hero Realms). Some people at my gaming club were playing Mansions of Madness recently, and a friend helped make Dark Souls, are they ok for someone to get their toes in to?

For co-op Matt Leacock is one of the best designers and you can't go wrong with the Forbidden games (Island and Desert with Sky coming soon) and Pandemic, he did make a thunderbirds one too but I've never played that. You've also got the Ghostbusters board games, I've only played the first one but we've enjoyed that one by replaying campaigns as well as making up different scenarios. One we quite enjoy playing is Legendary, I've only got the Marvel one and one of the expansions but standard deck building game, work together to defeat a supervillain before it's too late. There is an Alien one I know of but we've not played that one yet. I've also got XCom, it's as hard as you'd expect the game to be :shifty: 

As an entry point I'd recommend Forbidden Island as it's relatively straight forward (steal the treasure before the island sinks), easy to learn but hard to master so to speak. Bit easier than Pandemic or Forbidden Desert but still plenty of a challenge in an easy to carry little tin.

We have Pandemic, she liked it but it felt like we had little replay value and we have Marvel Legendary (and a fair few add ons).

I say entry level, she's played a lot of games but as I play ultra competitively, I always make it sound like she doesn't know how to play Snakss and Ladders 😪

• 1 month later...

Wanted a 2-player game with a small footprint that I could shove in a backpack when going out with the missus, decided on Hive (pocket edition)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154597/hive-pocket

hive-tiles.png

It's chess-like, in that each piece moves in a unique way.

It's well reviewed and I'm looking forward to playing it.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2018 at 03:06, K said:

Wanted a 2-player game with a small footprint that I could shove in a backpack when going out with the missus, decided on Hive (pocket edition)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154597/hive-pocket

hive-tiles.png

It's chess-like, in that each piece moves in a unique way.

It's well reviewed and I'm looking forward to playing it.

One of my friends lent me this recently and I've really enjoyed it.

The version I've got is just the base though, it doesn't have the ladybirds or mosquitoes. I think there's a pillbug piece too.

8 hours ago, Jake O. Rhodes said:

One of my friends lent me this recently and I've really enjoyed it.

The version I've got is just the base though, it doesn't have the ladybirds or mosquitoes. I think there's a pillbug piece too.

the pocket version comes with the Ladybirds and Mosquitoes, but the pillbug is an add on. I've yet to play the boardgame version (partner is away) so I've been playing with the free app version and i'm awful at it.

I really liked hive when I first played it. However, I now have a problem with it, though it's not the game's fault. No matter how much you may try to change the way you play (a bit at least), your main strategy is going to be the same, I feel. If you play often with the same opponent, as it was my case, it will come to a point where both of you know what to expect and the game becomes predictable. We had to stop playing it because we weren't having as much fun as in the beggining. 

Did a couple of rounds of Euronimoes with the missus this evening.

fjw1uMg.jpg

Euronimoes is a game which uses just a standard dominoes set and a few tokens. It's completely free (assuming you already own a dominoes set...) and you can download the rules here:

https://boardgameforge.wordpress.com/euronimoes/

I thought there wouldn't be much to it and we'd blow through one round and be done with it, but there's actually a lot of strategy to it, as well as a bit of luck.

It takes about five minutes to learn, and about ten minutes to play a round, so it's super quick, but it's surprisingly addictive.

I'm using one of those really tiny dominoes sets from a Christmas cracker, so it's also ultra portable and it'll probably end up coming everywhere we're likely to have some time to kill.

Highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Ran through Hive with the missus today. Really enjoyed that as well.

The game that she most wants to play right now is Reiner Knizia's Decathlon.

pic365105.jpg

It's another completely free game (assuming you can scrounge together eight dice) and you can download the two things you need here. You don't even really need to print them, although it's probably a good idea.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/501166/so-knizia-invented-really-good-game-and-heres-how

The game is very simple, it's just ten Yahtzee-like mini games, and whoever has the best score at the end wins.

I printed off a couple of score sheets just for the sake of it really, but my partner loves it. Each round of ten games lasts about fifteen minutes. It's very frustrating, but good fun.

If you play Yahtzee, try this, it's good.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2018 at 23:16, Meacon said:

Has anyone played Rallyman? I've been looking for a solo racer gamer and it's received high marks on BoardGameGeek. I'm thinking I may give it a whirl next time I drive past the gameshop (which is likely tomorrow as I'm itching to try this out...).

Yeah I've got it. Quite smart actually and a decent game that relies on calculations as much as it does on pushing your luck. A smooth run feels brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Time Stories lately. We played two of them and already have another expansion waiting in line. So far, it's been fun.

Unrelated question about board games based on movies/series: Are those as terrible as people say? I've asked about a few and always got the same response. Is it true they just bank on the fact people are going to buy these games due to the series/movie's popularity and so don't bother developing a good product? Are there any good ones?