ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Board Game thread

JeReindeer    5,000

I've been looking at Boss Monster as an option for a while, how does it actually play?

2 minutes ago, JeReindeer said:

I've been looking at Boss Monster as an option for a while, how does it actually play?

I have had it and the 5 player expansion a few months but only really played it twice. Takes a bit of time to explain but once you get going it's good, lots of trying to screw over other players.

lanky316    471

Can see what you mean about explaining and picking up but I think once we picked up the basics and once we got into the rhythm of counting up the treasures to see where the heroes were raiding it all started to move quite quickly. Granted I suspect mistakes were made at points and I doubt we were making the "best" moves but it seemed to go quite nicely. I don't know how much it'll pop into rotation around other stuff (especially as we've started refining our own fantasy football tabletop game evolving from the "Futbowel" rules) but I think it'll work well for a quick blast around other things. We'll see if anyone suggests a game of Boss Monster any time soon after our initial forays to see how much we'll play going forward but think that people enjoyed the couple of games we played.

Liam Mk2    4,382

Played a few rounds of 7 Wonders this evening with some friends. Really good fun, definitely recommend it.

K    9,642

can someone come round and teach me to play Xidit. Every time I look at the instructions and the six million pieces I get overwhelmed. 

michgcs    228

So it might be a silly question, but for the parents who still play board games... how do you do it? We've got a kid (1 and a half) and is it just a matter of waiting for him to get older?

• Like 1

Ruki    3,784

Put them to bed and play. That's what I did.... once.

• Like 1

Meacon    22,907
7 hours ago, michgcs said:

So it might be a silly question, but for the parents who still play board games... how do you do it? We've got a kid (1 and a half) and is it just a matter of waiting for him to get older?

Either play when they're in bed or wait until they get older.

We play games like Betrayal, Game of Thrones, Munchkin, Catan, and several others when the girls are in bed. When they're awake, we play Clue, Monopoly Jr., Uno, quicker/simpler things like that. But my girls are four and eight. So it's a mixture of both for you. A one and a half, there's not much they can really play. In another year or two, you should be able to play at least some things board game wise with them. 

• Like 1

RPS    12,637

If your kids are old enough (like 7+), you can always play simpler board games (Survive, Love Letter) OR play more complicated board games on teams. Years ago, we would play Catan with my brother and sister-in-law and my niece and nephew would pick to play with one of the adults. 

15 hours ago, michgcs said:

When they are a bit older, then try Labyrinth. There are rules for kids and rules for adults.

K    9,642

Won two games of Catan back to back today 😎

Being the person that places their two settlements back to back is definitely my favourite starting position

17 hours ago, michgcs said:

We don't very often to be honest. I play online games on yucata.de quite a lot, but for me and the wife together, especially as she works evenings on Monday/Tuesday and I have band practice Friday and cricket on Sunday during the summer and cricket nets Wednesdays in March and odd trips to London for EVE or whatever and the mrs has the odd night out too.....weeeeeell, it's tough. We play one or two a month maybe.

My eldest is 6 now and for a few years I've played games with her, usually when she's staying up while her little sister is being put to bed. I've tried her on plenty with some surprising results.

On 11/02/2019 at 23:39, K said:

can someone come round and teach me to play Xidit. Every time I look at the instructions and the six million pieces I get overwhelmed. 

If it's still very similar to Himalaya then I reckon I could teach it, yes.

You might need to come here though!

michgcs    228

Thanks for the replies, guys. The consensus is pretty much "wait until he gets older," and yeah I guess we don't really have a choice. Right now he's in a more destructive phase so I worry for the game boards and the cards and boxes that stand in his way should we even try to have a game night with him still awake.

K    9,642

going to sweden next week and my partner and I have been invited to a board game night.

I'd like to get a new game that my partner and I could play as two people during the week, but can also be played by, like 4-6 people as well.

I thought about  getting regular codenames and including it with codenames duet, but maybe taking a game that relies on knowing a bunch of different synonyms might not be great considering most people would have English as their second language (although to be fair they all speak english better than i do)

any suggestions? bonus points if it will fit in hand luggage.