Board Game thread

Survival of the Fittest looks interesting...

I'm thinking of buying King of Tokyo (looks fun, plus rampaging Kaiju monsters FTW) to use as a quick and simple way to pass time and as the intro to a longer gaming session, with something much more indepth to follow like Escape from Colditz or Axis and Allies. Have been looking at Agricola as well. I want to expand my games collection which currently rests at The Good the bad and the Munchkin, Gloom and World Cup Monopoly 1998... Yeah, much expansion needed.

Hey! That's My Fish!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8203/hey-thats-my-fish

It's a game about penguins picking up fish to eat. It's cute and easy for kids but, as you get to understand the strategies of the game, it's BRUTAL and offers loads of screwage factor for adults (and mean kids)

pic980879.jpg

I've read about adults who can get their 5/6 year old kids playing Agricola. There's a family game mode that you can play and kids tend to enjoy the idea of building up a farm. The newer editions have little wooden pigs, cows and sheep. Cute.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola

pic326297_md.jpg

• Like 1

I should mention, by the way, that she's going to be 7 in January, but she's very smart, reading at about a 4th grade level (age 10) and getting generally good grades in school. I'd like something I can play with her and my wife, maybe something we can bring along to family get-togethers and such as well since we don't really have a board game group as such.

I've read about adults who can get their 5/6 year old kids playing Agricola. There's a family game mode that you can play and kids tend to enjoy the idea of building up a farm. The newer editions have little wooden pigs, cows and sheep. Cute.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola

pic326297_md.jpg

My uncle has this game and it is indeed really great (even for adults)

Christ I feel old now and I haven't even fucking had kids yet. I live vicariously through my niece and my friend's kids. My friend's 5 year old loves board games. Her 9 year old brother is much happier playing PS3 than ever rolling a dice. They reach a certain age and playing board games is not cool anymore.

Pfah. At that point I just move them on to D&D. :shifty:

I was so proud, the one day he was surfing the web to find games and stumbled across Minecraft and signed up to play. Than it all went away when he realized it wasn't like Call of Duty and declared it was shitty.

• 3 weeks later...

To bring closure to this, I ended up settling on Small World. Agricola was too damn expensive, and I couldn't resist Small World's box. :shifty:

I'm going to try to talk my wife into Ticket to Ride on Friday when I get paid, but this is already getting to be a pricey hobby.

Does anyone else play Dominion?

Would anyone like to play Dominion online with me? Playing with randoms is fine and dandy, but it would be better to play with people I kno.

Edit: Just had two turns where I purchased two provinces in the same turn. Wonderful! Envoy + Inn + Bank + Market=unstoppable.