Board Game thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else play Zombicide?

Saw a game in progress at the gaming society meeting last night and it looked good but didn't really get the chance to play it.

Did get to play Formula D for the first time which was great fun. It degenerated into carnage and only one car managed to get round the track for a lap of The Docks track (narrowly avoiding the exploding car that someone tried to use to take out his last bit of damage) and one car which failed to get to the first corner due to some awful rolling. It was the Street Race version which makes it more Wacky Races but enjoyable for a relatively quick game. Suddenly starting to get into more board games recently which means I'm going to need to practice negotiating with SWMBO...

• 3 weeks later...

So I played Game Of Thrones for first time last night, and it was bloody hard. Basically I kept on forgetting what the supply limit actually limits and then I made one peace deal and it blew up in everyone's face, leading to the Greyjoys just raping everyone but sea. Was fun as hell, though. We're going old school later in the week and playing Risk, I can't wait.

• 1 month later...

It's been a month since the last Board Game thread post, which is far too long.

So here's some news.

1. There's another Tabletop thingy day happening at the beginning of April or something. So if you did it last year, you'll probably want to do it again this year, either at home, a friends or a comic book store where they sit you down and make you play Zombie Dice for a couple of hours.
  2. Suburbia is officially a fantastic game. The mrs and I played it every Saturday for the last month or so and it's easy to get a bit hooked. It's KINDA "Sim City: the board game" but more abstract of course. Those who are friends with me on Facebook will have seen pictures of it and its hexagonal glory.
  3. I received a game called "Agents of Smersh" for BoardGameGeek secret santa. You all play secret agents moving around the world and trying to foil the plot of Dr. Lobo. What really makes it though is that it's basically a story telling adventure game. Every time you go somewhere you have an adventure. You find out a kind of "theme" of what your adventure will be (e.g. "infiltration" or something), then you choose from eight options of how you want to deal with it and then you cross-reference stuff and go to a paragraph in a huge A4 book with thousands of paragraphs like a choose your own adventure book....Then the person you're playing with reads out your adventure and you use your skills and dice to try and defeat it. It's fun.
  4. All the "cool" board game kids are getting excited about...
  • Caverna: The Cave Farmers (basically Agricola but with MORE STUFF etc)

pic1830526_md.jpg

• Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures (rethemed version of an old World War I game I have called WIngs of War)

pic1391457_md.png

• Dead of Winter (a story-centric co-operative game with secret personal goals...and zombies)

pic1827367.png

....and more stuff. Dead of Winter really interested me until I found out it was zombies. Still interested, but less excited now I think.

I am totally going to have to get Luchador.

My girlfriend has been on a real board game kick lately, and one of her good friends, and one of the CIW roster, happens to be a major role-playing nerd who's more than happy to indulge her.

I sat out the first session, which was some vampire thing, but since then we've had a couple of games of King Of Tokyo, which was simplistic, but really good fun, and a fairly clumsy, but entertaining, round of Space Munchkin.

So far, so straightforward, entry level stuff.

She recently bought the Discworld board game - which is probably more simple than it looks. In fact, I get the feeling that I might have playe it before - and the Gormenghast board game. I, for one, didn't come out of 600+ pages of impenetrable, intricately plotted, dense gothic fantasy wishing that somebody would make a fun game for all the family out of it, but each to their own.

It looks nigh-on impossible to understand, with the following contents:

Rule book

book of ritual

10 x character pieces

30 x castle tiles

three card decks consisting of 106 cards each- 66 action cards, 10 character cards and 30 plot cards

30 x artefact tokens

20 x influence tokens

40 x victory tokens

1 x blocking token

1 x 30-sided ritual die

Wish me luck!

When all looks lost and far too confusing with all the cards and pieces, be glad that you're not into playing wargames like this poor bloke.

pic774649_md.jpg

It's possible that these cardboard "chits" that he's sorting out are only for one of either the allies or axis.